I posted in the equipment forum but does look like it gets much traffic...

Where do you guys learn about how rods perform? Online reviews, friends, in person?

My friend has a hook up on Fenwick BASS rods. How are they? The 610MLXF seems slower/stiffer than MLXF to me.

Are the Walleye series rods better than the new BASS series?

Im trying to search for online reviews and this smallmouth forum really seems to have a lot of equipment tips over the years.

Thanks

Rods, Reels and Lines

Just bought two elite tech rods:6:10  mlxf and the 7ft medium. Mlxf for dropshot and the 7ft for deeper water split shoting and fluke. Also going to use 7ft med for power shoting heavier cover. I've caught fish on both and they performed great. Tremendous rods. 

I got these rods so cheap I had to buy a few. $58 bucks each to my door so I bought 4.

2 of the 610 MLXF

1 of the 69 Med Mod fast

1 of the 7 MF

What techniques best suit each one? I was going to use the 610 as spare rigged up drop shots as spares to my LT. The 69 for crankbaits, and the 7MF for? Heavier plastics or...?

It was so cheap I just made a guess and bought a few.

They feel great in hand but not even close to the same F or XF action as my Avid or LTB and LTW. Does that mean they should be a little more versatile?

The reason thay don't feel the same as your other rods is because there is no industry standard so every manufacturer has there own specs. The other thing is that series are technique specific, Fenwick often has different power schedules for technique specific rods which I hate but that is what they do. The other thing is you can't compare any rod actions in the same power to a St. Croix or Abu Garcia rod, those two are about 1/2 power stronger than their rating, a medium power St. Croix or Abu Garcia rod is closer to a medium heavy from other manufacturers than it is to a medium power so the action won't feel the same because the power is different. That series is decent but I didn't like them compared to the old smallmouth series, they added weight and length to make the rods more powerful which took away the rod, the smallmouth series that have been discontinued were one of those few gems you find that offer great performance at a value price but at $58 bucks you got a great deal.

• Like 2

I got these rods so cheap I had to buy a few. $58 bucks each to my door so I bought 4.

2 of the 610 MLXF

1 of the 69 Med Mod fast

1 of the 7 MF

What techniques best suit each one? I was going to use the 610 as spare rigged up drop shots as spares to my LT. The 69 for crankbaits, and the 7MF for? Heavier plastics or...?

It was so cheap I just made a guess and bought a few.

They feel great in hand but not even close to the same F or XF action as my Avid or LTB and LTW. Does that mean they should be a little more versatile?

Where at?

If that sort of deal is avail to the public, I'd appreciate a PM, as well.  I haven't even held the current generation ET's, but if they're half the rod of the 'older' Smallmouth ET's, I'd buy one sight unseen at or near that price.

If that sort of deal is avail to the public, I'd appreciate a PM, as well.  I haven't even held the current generation ET's, but if they're half the rod of the 'older' Smallmouth ET's, I'd buy one sight unseen at or near that price.

Yea if you don't mind OP I would as well. I have the 610MLXF for dropshotting and finesse soft plastics and really like it. At that price I'd definitely consider replacing one of my other spinning rods. 

I think you'll be happy with the ones you got. The 610MLXF is very sensitive and really fun to fight fish on. 

I would get another one at 58 dollars but the one I had had the reel seat come loose and I had to re-epoxy the handle back on.  It was not that big of deal as I had the epoxy on hand for rod building but this is the only rod I have ever had to do this on.  I paid 150 dollars for mine when they first came out, so that's what it made me upset.  The rod has good action and works well for dropshot and small weightless plastics.  I have a great time using a lite wire 2/0 hook and a 4" green pumpkin lizard in the spring.

Sorry guys, the price was a internet mistake and they still honored the price mistake. Id buy 1 for normal price for sure, but at this price, I figured 4 couldn't hurt. I didn't think they would ship them, but they did. SP Guide.

I haven't used any yet, just looking for what each rod should do best.

• Like 1