Jump to content
Gundog

Warning - Be Careful of Gander Mtn. products

Recommended Posts

Yesterday I bought a Gander Mtn. Vortex 100L H baitcaster. Tried it out in the store and it seemed fine and for $40 why not. This morning while trying to put line on it, suddenly the spool stopped spinning. Tightened down the spool tension knob didn't work, neither did tightening the drag. I don't have time right now to open it up but looks like I bought a dude. Can't take it back cause I was told there are no returns. They had spinning reels there too. Be careful of what you buy. I'm out $40 plus tax. Just glad it wasn't more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you spooling with straight braid with no backing? If you perhaps the line is slipping on the spool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, smalljaw67 said:

Are you spooling with straight braid with no backing? If you perhaps the line is slipping on the spool.

That sounds like the issue to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gundog said:

Can't take it back cause I was told there are no returns.

 

I'd be there, with the reel, my receipt, and wouldn't leave until I had a working reel or my money back. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, J Francho said:

 

I'd be there, with the reel, my receipt, and wouldn't leave until I had a working reel or my money back. 

yep, they're going out of business for a reason, they weren't that great.

 

you can buy anything from your home on tackle warehouse, why go anywhere else.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smalljaw67 said:

Are you spooling with straight braid with no backing? If you perhaps the line is slipping on the spool.

I don't think straight braid would make the spool stop spinning mid line fill. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CroakHunter said:

I don't think straight braid would make the spool stop spinning mid line fill. 

Because he mentioned he tightend the drag. The straight braid slips on the spool and acts like the spool it not spinning. If you use backing the mono grips the spool and you dont get this problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, d-camarena said:

Because he mentioned he tightend the drag. The straight braid slips on the spool and acts like the spool it not spinning. If you use backing the mono grips the spool and you dont get this problem

Right I get that part. But I took it as he was spooli g the line and the spool quit spinning. Like it locked up

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be careful.You can get arrested for "buying dudes".I think they call it solicitation for prostitution. 

 

Sorry guys I had to.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gundog said:

Yesterday I bought a Gander Mtn. Vortex 100L H baitcaster. Tried it out in the store and it seemed fine and for $40 why not. This morning while trying to put line on it, suddenly the spool stopped spinning. Tightened down the spool tension knob didn't work, neither did tightening the drag. I don't have time right now to open it up but looks like I bought a dude. Can't take it back cause I was told there are no returns. They had spinning reels there too. Be careful of what you buy. I'm out $40 plus tax. Just glad it wasn't more. 

Gander MT. stores are all closing soon. Two weeks ago the clerk told me they had 10 weeks to sale out completely in Roanoke,Va.

I bought a Lowrance from there today 125.00 off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, smalljaw67 said:

Are you spooling with straight braid with no backing? If you perhaps the line is slipping on the spool.

I was putting mono on it. Because it was backing, I used cheap mono that I just stripped off the reel when I found it wasn't turning. Tried turning the bare spool and it ain't turning. 

9 hours ago, J Francho said:

 

I'd be there, with the reel, my receipt, and wouldn't leave until I had a working reel or my money back. 

Nearest GM is about 1 1/2 hrs away. Otherwise I'd agree with ya but I was told everything they sold didn't have a warranty. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gundog said:

I was putting mono on it. Because it was backing, I used cheap mono that I just stripped off the reel when I found it wasn't turning. Tried turning the bare spool and it ain't turning. 

Nearest GM is about 1 1/2 hrs away. Otherwise I'd agree with ya but I was told everything they sold didn't have a warranty. 

 

Thia is why you pay for everything on a credit/debit card. If Gander won't make it right, you contact your card company and request a chargeback.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They told you "no returns"...but did they say no exchanges?  If you raise enough of a stink they'll swap it out.  Think about it, all the employees there are just waiting for their next job anyway, you think they want to deal with the angry guy over a $40 reel?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are not going out of business completely.  SOME stores will close but most (from what an employee said) will stay open.  The owner wanted to get the buildings at a much lower lease price so he basically threatened closure.  The stores will be called Gander Outdoors and will feature hunting, fishing, camping, and ATV's...no footwear/clothing.

 

http://www.gandermountain.com

 

You can design the new logo I guess...

 

The prices on the "closeout" seemed higher than the prices a month or so before they discounted any items.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to news reports, Gander sold the inventory to a liquidator and some stores will "reopen" with all new inventory and scaled down product lines. The primary owner himself released a list of the 55 stores (out of 160) that will stay open about a month ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny thing about Gander Mountain, it takes a "going out of business" sale and them having 10-15% off on their fishing gear to finally be at the normal price of everyone else :D

 

Guns were always more than even BassPro would sell them for, which was dumb when Gander renovated a ton of stores into "Gun super stores" increasing their inventories by more than double.  I did a 1000yrd build with an Savage FCP-k.  MSRP of approx $950.  Gander wanted $1000, BassPro had one for $825, I ended up getting one from Budsgunshop shipped to my FFL for $710.  Atleast BPS was reasonable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it has anything to do with using straight braid. That reel was a straight dud. I been going to my local gander like 3 times a week to see how much the prices are going down. If I buy any rods or reels it will be brand other than gander because the manufacturing warranty would still apply. I learned my lesson buying cheap baitcasters when I bought a Silver Max. Fishing stuff is up to 20% now but I'm waiting for bigger deals. I find it funny that all of the senkos were cleaned out of my local gander when they were 10% off but priced at $7.99, not really a discount if you ask me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×