Rick Howard

Adjusting Chatterbait

14 posts in this topic

Well my local shop ran out of my normal spinner bait choice.  So I tried a chatter bait for the interim.  I like it just fine but I would like it to run a little shallower.  Any adjustments to the bait I can make?

Thanks!

Use heavier line and reel faster, or buy a lighter chatterbait.

1 person likes this

Bend the tip of the blade downward towards the hook point. I start the bend about 1/4" from the tip of the blade. The sharper the bend, the shallower it will run. 

4 people like this

Thank you fellas.

Different trailers will make the bait rise up more too. 

1 person likes this

On 7/28/2017 at 1:19 AM, Bluebasser86 said:

Bend the tip of the blade downward towards the hook point. I start the bend about 1/4" from the tip of the blade. The sharper the bend, the shallower it will run. 

@Bluebasser86,

What happens if the blade is bent the opposite way (away from the hook point)?  Does it become unstable?

On 7/28/2017 at 1:19 AM, Bluebasser86 said:

I thought bending the tip will prevent chatterbait to rise, other word the chatterbait would stay contact with bottom or deeper longer?

34 minutes ago, JustJames said:

I thought bending the tip will prevent chatterbait to rise, other word the chatterbait would stay contact with bottom or deeper longer?

No, a sharp bend will catch more of the water vortex and raise the bait towards the surface. This may change with blade styles, but with the blades I've used, it's true in every instance.

1 hour ago, BASS302 said:

@Bluebasser86,

What happens if the blade is bent the opposite way (away from the hook point)?  Does it become unstable?

I imagine it wouldn't run correctly. I'll have to try and see what happens.

From my experience craw style trailers make chatterbaits rise in the water column. What type of chatterbait did you get? 

Its a z-man.

I like the trailer, line, and retrieve that I am using so I went bendy.  It did the trick

Thank you fellas 

22 hours ago, LxVE Bassin said:

From my experience craw style trailers make chatterbaits rise in the water column. What type of chatterbait did you get? 

Bulky trailers like a craw have more water resistance so they will cause a bait to rise. I like to use a Havoc Pit Boss or Rage Menace on mine. Lately I've been having a lot of success with a 5" swimbait on the back too. 

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Bulky trailers like a craw have more water resistance so they will cause a bait to rise. I like to use a Havoc Pit Boss or Rage Menace on mine. Lately I've been having a lot of success with a 5" swimbait on the back too. 

What swimbaits do you use?  I tried a few (cane thumpers, swim senkos, keitech s.i., etc.)....I never felt they were near as effective as structure bugs and incrediclaws

8 minutes ago, Choporoz said:

What swimbaits do you use?  I tried a few (cane thumpers, swim senkos, keitech s.i., etc.)....I never felt they were near as effective as structure bugs and incrediclaws

I've been using a 4.8 Keitech Fat lately and having very good success. Not only have I been catching bigger fish with the large trailer, but the fish are eating it deeper as well.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Choporoz said:

The Strike King Perfect Plastic Blade Minnow has worked well for me.