ww2farmer

SK KVD square bills vs. Lucky Craft LC square bills

I have seen the prices on the LC 1.5 have come down a bit, and since everyone and their brother throws SK KVD's around here, I was toying with changing up a little bit from my throwing them. I have tried multiple other squarebills in an attempt to find a productive alternate to the KVD's.........like the Storm Arashi's, the newish Berkley ones, the Clunn Luck-E-Strike, and a few more....but I keep coming back to the KVD's.

Never was much of a Lucky Craft user due to the price tag and big things with teeth around here that can swipe a $16 bait faster than I can eat a large pizza. But now that they are $7 they are an attractive option. What I am looking for is a bait that dives at least 3' deep, hunts a little, comes through grass well, comes with good hooks out of the package, casts like a rocket, is silent, and comes in bluegill,craw, and shad colors.

My short list of KVD alternates so far are the LC series from Lucky Craft, and the Spro Russ Lane Fat papa 55 and 70 squarebills. I love the Spro Fat Papa deep divers as alternates to my SK 3 and 5 XD's...but they are about on the upper level of my price range.

I had a nice selection of the LC baits before the SK baits were introduced.

Fished them side by side for most of one season here.

I've since sold or re-homed all the LC squarebills.

YMMV

A-Jay

I have fished and currently fish a lot of older RC 1.5s, BDS 2/3, RTO 1.5/2.0, and DRS from Lucky craft as well as a few KVD 1.5s and some of the 6.99 lucky crafts. There isn't a different fish ability between the new 6.99 LC and KVD 1.5 except the colors. They don't have the same hooks, quality control, or materials that are used for the currently higher end LC , for example, 1.5 DRS.  

Even though I like the SK 1.5 nothing compares to the RC 1.5 IMO. Having bought a good lure retriever  I lose less than one hardbait a year. I will tell you that it is by far my number 1 crankbait and if I could only take one it would be a RC 1.5 in Copper Perch. 

Allen 

Like many others I have a box full of SK square bills and other crankbaits. I find myself going for the H2O Xpress line of crankbaits from Academy Sports more than anything else. They are tough, come with or without rattles, good colors, good stock hooks, and can be had for about $3 several times a year. I know you've been around here for awhile and may have already tried them but figured I'd mention them as they are an excellent option. I have some LC baits as well and they have seen very little action as the H2O lures continue to produce. The overall shape and body structure is very similar between the H2O and LC in regards to their squarebill offerings. 

It's hard to beat SK 1.5's with upgraded hooks. Such good bang for your buck. I do love Spro Little John's and the Fat Papa's. 6th Sense Crush 50X are good too. When I really need a bite I'll tie on a Megabass S-Crank.

The Yo-Zuri 3DB Square bill would be perfect but it is the size of the 2.5 KVD. The other one I've done really well with is the Bagley Rattlin' Kill'R B, it is the same size as the 1.5 and dives to 3' and it has a rattle but it is a muted sound that has worked as well, if not better than a silent square bill in clear water. Bluegill has been the best color for me followed by sexy shad, and there sexy shad is different that every other version in that the back is a green almost like the green gizzard shad. I grabbed 2 baits when they first came out and after using them for the first time I ended up with 12 more, I have 14 of those and they have been one of my best square bills. I use the Yo-zuri more when the water is stained because it is larger but when the water is clear or I'm fishing smallmouth the Bagley comes out, and like I said, bluegill has been the best color but in stained water the hot mustard has been a great producer. They have VMC hooks but they are heavier than what the KVD uses, in fact the hooks are heavier that what the KVD 2.5 has and at $5.99 I think they are a steal.

P.S. - If you want to try the Bagley just make sure you get the Rattli' Kill'R B and not the Rattlin' Diving Kill'R B as that one isn't a square bill and dives around 6' deep.