jebar01

I recently found several Johnson Weedless Spoons , and am curious as to what would be the best trailers for fall bass fishing and should I tie the line directly to the spoon or use a snap swivel due to line twist?

I like a mister twister single tail grub pushed all the way up on the shank so it kicks out a bit. I also tie direct since these spoons don't wobble enough to spin when fished correctly. They can be fished pretty slow and still wobble like they are meant to. I don't use them a lot, but when the weeds are thick and they won't hit topwater the Johnson spoon can save the day.

• Like 2

Until I saw your post I hadn't thought of these in yrs. Very old school, and can be very effective. I think I still have a couple of these kicking around, I'll have to put them in my tackle box.

Thanks

Jim

• Super User
4 hours ago, crypt said:

use em all the time,just like Catt, skirts,twin tail grubs,or just by itself.great cold water bait.don't forget to sharpen that hook.

Yeah, that hook is a$$. It's a pain to sharpen. Also the line tie needs to be centered so it wobbles instead of spins, and lastly fish it as slow as possible, then slow down some more....

Spoons are deadly for a lot of fish, but they are quite speed sensitive, so they aren't as popular as other more forgiving lures. Salmon guys seem to have the touch.

• Like 1

• Super User

I use the mister twister 4" split double tail grub for most of my trailers.

once you see it in the water swimming like it's alive you will agree. I cut the length of the grub body to fit the size / hook application I'm using it for.

https://www.mistertwister.com/information/split-double-tail/335#SDT10 11BKS

• Super User

Johnson Silver Minnow is a weedless surface or sub surface swimming spoon. Upside it's very weedless as long as you keep reeling it. The downside it has the dullest hook imaginable and must be filed/honed sharp before using it. The spoon was designed to use a split tail pork trailer so any soft plastic that resembles a split tail trailer works good or split a 4" straight tail worm about 3".

Tom

• Like 2

• Super User

The Johnson Silver Minnow was one of my main lures on my many Canadian fly-in fishing trips. I always used a 4 inch white or yellow twister tail as a trailer. I did find that most of the pork trailers I tried absolutely killed the action of the lure. 

• Super User
1 hour ago, Scott F said:

The Johnson Silver Minnow was one of my main lures on my many Canadian fly-in fishing trips. I always used a 4 inch white or yellow twister tail as a trailer. I did find that most of the pork trailers I tried absolutely killed the action of the lure. 

#50 4" white UJ Bass Strip is only 1/16 thick and Johnson Silver spoon swim perfectly with a strip nose hooked. I cut this strip about 3" down the center for bass, pike and musky it's used out of the jar. Unfortunitly UJ doesn't make pork rind anymore, so it's a mute discussion, unless you can find a jar.

Tom

• Super User

I spent a little time yesterday fishing a Timberdoodle around a weeded up pond.  I had a pair of solid hits, but both times the hook didnt clear the plastic all the way.  I bought the Timberdoodle a year or two ago because I thought the name was funny, but yesterday was my first time seriously trying to fish it.  I really like the action of a. spoon and fish a lot of spots where it would be a good lure, but even after trying to sharpen the hook myself I'm not convinced it's going to be terribly effective. Does anyone make a weedless spoon with a good hook?

• Like 1

• Super User

Uncle Josh #11 pork frog or #23 kicker frog in yellow with spots or green with spots.

As for the hook instead of filing or honing I have sharpener that sharpens just the point like a pencil sharpener.

• Like 1

• Super User

With a few exceptions (where there are toothy fish (requiring leaders) or inline spinners-requiring a swivel) I don't like any hardware at all between the line and the lure.  Regarding trailers, for this bait I like skinny unintrusive trailers.  Others impede the wobble too much for my taste.

• Super User
11 hours ago, Catt said:

As for the hook instead of filing or honing I have sharpener that sharpens just the point like a pencil sharpener.

I can't tell if you are pulling my chain. 

• Super User
1 hour ago, fishwizzard said:

I can't tell if you are pulling my chain. 

A long time ago I had a Hook Hone-R made by a company called Pointmatic that worked exactly like a pencil sharpener.  Not certain if that's what Catt is referring to or not. Company went out of business many years back.

• Like 1

• Super User

Still have a Hone R battery operated hook honer, just don't use it anymore with today's needle/knife point hooks. Agree it would be perfect for the Johnson spoons hook as long as the steel doesn't bend easily.

OP, give the spoon try.

Tom

• Like 1

• Super User
8 hours ago, Team9nine said:

A long time ago I had a Hook Hone-R made by a company called Pointmatic that worked exactly like a pencil sharpener.  Not certain if that's what Catt is referring to or not. Company went out of business many years back.

Yelp that'll be the one!

It's in an old marsh tackle box somewhere ?

• Like 2

• Super User

Persuader Lures makes a very similar updated weedless spoon call Weedless Image spoon that has a modern sharp hook.

Tom