livemusic

Stand-alone battery charger

Can anyone recommend a good stand-alone charger, to be used for bassboat and general use (side x side, other batteries, autos, etc.)? In other words, portable. I don't really care to spend $200 or more for one on wheels, I mean just something you can move around. I guess I need trickle capability for the bass boat once the batteries are charged up. (Other use around the house is sporadic.) EDIT: It would need to be able to charge two batteries at same time for the boat. For general use, if battery is down on vehicle, take it there and charge... portable!

EDIT: I suppose budget is less than $150, but I'm open to what is needed to get a good charger that will last. Last one I bought was rated well but broke and that surprised me. I don't know how much a good one will cost; it seems they should be pretty reliable.

I have always used a 10/2 amp charger forever. Most cost between $40-$60. Believe I got the last one at Walmart on sale for $40. it was a DieHard.

• Like 2

Don't totally understand how you intend to use the charger or if this is right for your particular application but I've been using two of these to charge & maintain a couple of mod 31 wet batteries that power the TM on my canoe.

Works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC-1200A-CA-SpeedCharge-Automatic-Battery/dp/B000BQSIWK/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1514386956&sr=1-2&keywords=schumacher+1200

568e6c3909ccf_SchumacherSC-1200ACACharger.thumb.jpg.960ff8ecfbc59de97dc484882236a238.jpg

A-Jay

• Like 1

Schumachers have been pretty reliable for me.  Based on your other thread, be sure to get one with a maintenance mode.

• Like 2

I forgot to add (but edited now) that I would like to be able to charge both boat batteries at same time from one charger.

30 minutes ago, livemusic said:

I forgot to add (but edited now) that I would like to be able to charge both boat batteries at same time from one charger.

Then either get an on board two bank changer, or two portable chargers.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, J Francho said:

Schumachers have been pretty reliable for me.  Based on your other thread, be sure to get one with a maintenance mode.

i have a 50/10/2 that’s at least 20+ years old and still working. now i use it for my jon boat batteries primarily but she used to be the workhorse for my old Sea Nymph. 

4 hours ago, J Francho said:

This^^ i have had my 10-8-2 amp Schumacher from Walmart for YEARS now and works great still. 

• Like 1

I've used 3 Schumachers for the past 4 years on my 3 $99 Walmart deep cycle batteries. I run them on the 2 Amp setting most of the time. Worked on my zero turn Toro too. The one time I tried to start a dead 2003 Camry nothing happened. It had been sitting a garage for a few months. Luckily I have an old, heavy, metal, charger I found at a pawn shop. Fired it right up.

Schumacher SSC-1000A SpeedCharge 2/6/10 Amp   www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SSC-1000A-SpeedCharge-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B0009IBJE4    $48

Since you insist on charging two batteries with one charger and that it be portable for other applications, I recommend that you get a two bank on board charger like the Minn Kota 210D.  That's 10 amps per bank with two banks. Instead of mounting it in the boat, just use it as a portable.  Replace the terminal ends with clips.  This model shows to be available online for less than $120.00