Jump to content
Fishinthefish

Looking for info on Rainshadow eternity blanks

Recommended Posts

Hey fellas, I'm looking to get a rod built for me, I don't build myself as I live in an apartment and simply don't have the space. At least thats what my wife keeps telling me. I was curious what the thoughts are on the Rainshadow Eternity series blanks? I'm looking to get the ETEC72MH-SS made into a split grip cork rod for using with both 1/2 OZ spinnerbaits with a trailer and 1/2 OZ jigs with a trailer. What do y'all think of this blank that have used it? Is there anything out there significantly better? I've read a few reviews that were all positive. But I've never handled one myself so I was hoping for some opinions from y'all. Thank you, I appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Road warrior uses there blanks he would be a good person to talk to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've built eternity 2 fly rods, and they are excellent, have no experience with the other Eternity blanks.  Many on this and another forum give them high grades.  I have built a ton of other Rainshadow blanks, RX6, 7, 8, fly, spin, and cast, and have been pleased with all.  One other that you might consider before making a decision is the Point Blank from Anglers Resource.  I have built a number of them (baitcast) and they are top notch, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few built by Mr. Batson himself and Moderator .ghoti

It's fun working with a builder and in most cases actually less

expensive than high end production rods (GLX & NRX). Check

with Mike at DVT, too!

 

http://www.delawarevalleytackle.com/

 

:winter-146:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Road warrior uses there blanks he would be a good person to talk to.

And,  I built those for him, as well a couple on Immortal blanks. Without looking at my records, I would guesstimate two thirds of the rods I've built have been on Rainshadow blanks. All of the Warrior Project rods I've built were built on Immortal blanks.

 

I like them. I've built some for myself.

 

I have several factory built St Croix rods. Four Avids(SCIII), four LTBs(SCIV) and two Legend Extremes(SCV). The Revelation line is comparable to SCIII, Immortal comparable to SCIV and LE comparable to SCV.

 

I'll second Kent's recommendation. Call Mike at DVT to get a quote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a decision on the guide train is possibly more important than the decision between the top tier blanks of the leading suppliers.  Spin or baitcast?  

 

If spin, I like the Fuji KLH reduction train with KB and KT runners.  What size runners will you "tolerate?"  Smaller is lighter and therefore more sensitive.  If cost is not a big priority, go titanium for the lightest and most corrosion resistant, although for fresh water, titanium corrosion resistance is overkill.  But the runner size issue is based on knot passage, which is why I said "tolerate."  What size knot do you want to pass smoothly through the guides?    If no knots, then any size is OK.  If you want to pass a double uni, then I recommend going no smaller than 5 mm.  They are pretty light, and make a great rod.

 

For cast, I like the Fuji KR first guide, then runners all of the same size to the tip.  The KR, then 3 KB's, then KT's to the end.  Same runner size issues as with the spin setup.  The KR, by the way, is 6 mm titanium, but it will match OK with bright stainless running guides since the running guides are so small.  I recommend 5.5's for the runners.

 

Regarding ring material, I recommend Fuji's alconite or above, in other brands, the zirconium or equivalent.  The cheaper materials are often an ugly grey color and the rings very thick, bulky, and not attractive.

 

You thought having a custom rod built would be simple, right?  Not so, but with custom, you can get exacetly what you want.  And, I assure you, a better built rod that will, if properly cared for, last through your life and that of your children.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Already got an email out to Mike trying to get a rod thrown together for the upcoming season. Love his work hes done for me in the past. Always recommend him. Thanks for the info fellas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2018 at 11:19 PM, Fishinthefish said:

Hey fellas, I'm looking to get a rod built for me, I don't build myself as I live in an apartment and simply don't have the space. At least thats what my wife keeps telling me. I was curious what the thoughts are on the Rainshadow Eternity series blanks? I'm looking to get the ETEC72MH-SS made into a split grip cork rod for using with both 1/2 OZ spinnerbaits with a trailer and 1/2 OZ jigs with a trailer. What do y'all think of this blank that have used it? Is there anything out there significantly better? I've read a few reviews that were all positive. But I've never handled one myself so I was hoping for some opinions from y'all. Thank you, I appreciate it.

I have a rod built with that exact blank. I love it. One of the most sensitive rods I’ve ever fished. I use it for lighter flipping purposes and finesse jigs (3/8oz) usually no more than 1/2 oz. I’ve never thrown a spinner bait on the rod but don’t see why it wouldn’t do everything you want it to 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a REALLY nice blank to use for moving baits IMO.  I have two rods I built on that blank.  One is a first gen blue version (stripped half off so it's got a cool blue/black transition) and one is the latest generation.  I wrote a review on the first gen immortal and eternity super easy to search for.

 

These rods excel in the sensitivity/bottom contact department.  To use them for anything else IMO doesn't utilize their full potential.  They are on par with other high end blanks.

 

I'm also a fan of slower rods for moving bait applications.  Not saying this blank wouldn't work is just comes down to personal preference.

 

If I were building a rod for moving baits, I'd take a LONG look at the immortal or revelation series.  I'm not trying to talk you out of it, it's an amazing blank.  I think you'd be better suited going a different direction while staying in the Rainshadow family

Edited by sarcazmo
more information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2018 at 5:27 PM, sarcazmo said:

That's a REALLY nice blank to use for moving baits IMO.  I have two rods I built on that blank.  One is a first gen blue version (stripped half off so it's got a cool blue/black transition) and one is the latest generation.  I wrote a review on the first gen immortal and eternity super easy to search for.

 

These rods excel in the sensitivity/bottom contact department.  To use them for anything else IMO doesn't utilize their full potential.  They are on par with other high end blanks.

 

I'm also a fan of slower rods for moving bait applications.  Not saying this blank wouldn't work is just comes down to personal preference.

 

If I were building a rod for moving baits, I'd take a LONG look at the immortal or revelation series.  I'm not trying to talk you out of it, it's an amazing blank.  I think you'd be better suited going a different direction while staying in the Rainshadow family

How is the backbone on the eternity 72mh i actually have one that 8 had builtfor my jihs and trigs up to 1/2 oz plus trailer but wont get to fiah it for a couple more months

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've already got Mike working on this little project for me for about two weeks now. I can't wait to play with my new toy and send yall a review.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2018 at 1:48 PM, jmcarriere said:

How is the backbone on the eternity 72mh i actually have one that 8 had builtfor my jihs and trigs up to 1/2 oz plus trailer but wont get to fiah it for a couple more months

I've got a 3/8 oz jig tied on to each of them right now, but I haven't really hooked into anything significant.  I'd say 1/2oz + trailer is probably about the most I'd be comfortable throwing on them, but I've been surprised by how durable Rainshadow blanks are in general.  I guess In my brain I don' think they're as powerful as they really are.  Then again they are my lightest set ups by far adn that probably has something to do with it! :-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a rod with an Eternity2 72MH blank. Using it for spinnerbaits.  it's one my favorite rods.

 

Here's a video of it in action with slow-motion footage.  Enjoy.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Glenn said:

I have a rod with an Eternity2 72MH blank. Using it for spinnerbaits.  it's one my favorite rods.

 

Here's a video of it in action with slow-motion footage.  Enjoy.

 

 

Thank you Glen ai appreciate it. 1/0 oz spinnerbaits?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3/4oz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×