So I had the idea to supertune my main gear and pinion. I heard negative and positive responses so I was wondering if I should supertune my Curado.

1 hour ago, It was a 10 pounder said:

So I had the idea to supertune my main gear and pinion. I heard negative and positive responses so I was wondering if I should supertune my Curado.

Please explain what super tuning the main/pinion gear is.  Are you referring to polishing them? There are some internal parts that can be polished up to result in a smother reel but I’d steer clear of the gears themselves. When in doubt send it to a pro like Ian Shields or Bryan at Tackle Trap. 

• Like 1

Why do you want to....? Unless you're experienced in polishing the internals of a reel, don't touch the main gear or pinion. If it's smooth, leave it. You aren't going to improve the retrieve by doing anything to the main gear. You can make it look like a mirror but it isn't going to improve performance. You can also polish the inside of the pinion but it's hit or miss. There's other points of friction that will improve the reels performance. Spool shaft tips, spacers, clutch cam..leave the gears alone. 

• Like 1

I can't think of any positive benefit from polishing the gears.  I can think of many things that could go wrong here, though.

• Like 3

Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it! :)

5 hours ago, bigturtle said:

What negative reaponse did you hear?

People were saying that it wasn't worth it and some saying it is

Delaware Valley Tackle does Super Tuning, I asked Mike questions about how he does it and I would definitely send mine to him. Polishing the gear wouldn’t do anything, you have to polish the friction points. I don’t mean this as an insult but it sounds like you don’t know a whole lot about super tuning, if you try to do it, I’d read up first. Some reels aren’t worth it because they are free floating spools. I have a Curado K as well. Ask@Delaware Valley Tackle his opinion.

16 hours ago, TylerT123 said:

Delaware Valley Tackle does Super Tuning, I asked Mike questions about how he does it and I would definitely send mine to him. Polishing the gear wouldn’t do anything, you have to polish the friction points. I don’t mean this as an insult but it sounds like you don’t know a whole lot about super tuning, if you try to do it, I’d read up first. Some reels aren’t worth it because they are free floating spools. I have a Curado K as well. Ask@Delaware Valley Tackle his opinion.

Thanks for the info! you're not being rude by the way either I was just wondering if I should od it or not :)

3 hours ago, It was a 10 pounder said:

Thanks for the info! you're not being rude by the way either I was just wondering if I should od it or not :)

The only reason I want to super tune my own reel is because I am afraid to ship it off to someone. Here’s the site I’ve read through a couple times. I would be very careful and stay away from power tools and high grit sandpaper.

https://www.bassresource.com/fishing/supertune-baitcaster.html 

That was written by our own @.ghoti.

My polishing on my reels is limited to the pinion gear internal shaft and spool shafts.  I use a Dremel with red rouge on a thick pipe cleaner for the pinion gear and a Dremel cotton buffing pad for the spool shaft.  Does it do any good?  I don't know, but I feel good doing it and my reels work exceptionally well.  What else do old retired guys do but tinker with their fishing gear LOL.