Jump to content
freelancer27

Jigs: Conquest 904C vs Legend X 7'6" Med Hvy vs Steez SVF AGS 7'6" vs NRX 894C JWR

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I am looking for the ultimate Jig rod (3/8-3/4oz) and I here is what I boiled it down to:

* Shimano GL Conquest Cast Rod 7'6" Heavy 904C MBR
* St. Croix Legend X Series Casting Rod 7'6" Med Hvy
* Daiwa Steez SVF AGS Casting Rod 7'6" Heavy
* G. Loomis NRX Casting Rod Blue 7'5" Heavy 894C JWR

Important to me: 
* Weight
* Balancing (with Steez SV TWS)
* Sensitivity

Thanks for your thoughts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go custom....

 

I had the nrx894 for a while and then had it modified to a full handle and balance under the reel seat. NRX handle length, to me, was too short and balance wasn't good but I'm particular about that stuff. It was a sensitive rod but just wasn't "it". Haven't used the steez. I don't like split grip jig rods. If I went St. Croix I would go /w the 7'4 Elite full grip /w torzites. Haven't handled a conquest yet.

 

I have a Steez SV TW on my custom Jig rod. I pitch and flip 3/8-1/2oz and sometimes 3/4 on 20# shooter into laydowns, trees, brush, etc a lot..almost too much.. and it's my favorite thing to do. I went /w a Phenix K2 736 blank, torzite guides, and cork full grip and couldn't be happier. It's hard to put down. Torzite guide train and the blank is ridiculously light. Whole set up feels weightless and it has a hair more power if not right on par /w the NRX894. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why such long rods? Unless you are flipping or pitching long jig rods only hamper strike detection. If you think casting over 50 yards is needed, you can that with a 7' rod.

Tom

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would add a Megabass destroyer Valdivia to that list if you are looking for the ultimate jig rod

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WRB said:

Why such long rods? Unless you are flipping or pitching long jig rods only hamper strike detection. If you think casting over 50 yards is needed, you can that with a 7' rod.

Tom

 

I have a 7' Helium 3 HXF and I love the rod. Great sensitivity, super light and good build. Just feel like I should gone a little bit longer (longer casts, better hook sets and ability for slight pitching). 

With the named rods, I also hope to get an upgrade in sensitivity, rod construction quality and components.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may be able to cast a few yards further depending on the jig weight and your casting skills. Hook set using a rod swing technique doesn't move enough line to penetrate a hook at 30 yards unless all the slack line is tightened before using the rod to complete the hook set. Rod length doesn't help without proper technique and for me that  is reel set with a firm rod sweep.

The longer the rod is in front of the reel the heavier the tip section feels without increasing the rods butt end length and anything over 15" hinders hook set using jigs.

I would contact both Mike at DVT and Alex at ALX and see what blanks and giude trains they have that meet your needs. Nothing wrong with wanting something special.

Tom

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WRB said:

You may be able to cast a few yards further depending on the jig weight and your casting skills. Hook set using a rod swing technique doesn't move enough line to penetrate a hook at 30 yards unless all the slack line is tightened before using the rod to complete the hook set. Rod length doesn't help without proper technique and for me that  is reel set with a firm rod sweep.

The longer the rod is in front of the reel the heavier the tip section feels without increasing the rods butt end length and anything over 15" hinders hook set using jigs.

I would contact both Mike at DVT and Alex at ALX and see what blanks and giude trains they have that meet your needs. Nothing wrong with wanting something special.

Tom

 

Thanks, do you have their forum names, so I can text them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, Mike at DVT is a site sponsor and ALex owns ALX rods, you can call them for cell phone numbers to text.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shimano GL Conquest 7'" Heavy 844C MBR. I have one and love it. Many people love customs. I have gone that route before and I wasn’t happy with the result. If you don’t like it, you will take a big hit if you decide to sell it. By contrast, when I sold my NRX to upgrade to the Conquest, I got almost what I paid for it after using it for 5 years. I agree with the reviewer who said the NRX wasn’t perfectly balanced or all that comfortable. The Conquest feels great in my hands. It is very sensitive and incredibly light. There is a lot of great technology in this rod. You don’t have to pay full price and in my opinion, if there is any place you want to spend your money, it’s on your jig rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rodney Smith said:

Shimano GL Conquest 7'" Heavy 844C MBR. I have one and love it. Many people love customs. I have gone that route before and I wasn’t happy with the result. If you don’t like it, you will take a big hit if you decide to sell it. By contrast, when I sold my NRX to upgrade to the Conquest, I got almost what I paid for it after using it for 5 years. I agree with the reviewer who said the NRX wasn’t perfectly balanced or all that comfortable. The Conquest feels great in my hands. It is very sensitive and incredibly light. There is a lot of great technology in this rod. You don’t have to pay full price and in my opinion, if there is any place you want to spend your money, it’s on your jig rod.

Thanks!
Yeah, I think it will boil down to the Legend X (that I can get for 300 USD) and the COnquest (not sure where I would get the best price here)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, freelancer27 said:

I have a 7' Helium 3 HXF and I love the rod. Great sensitivity, super light and good build. Just feel like I should gone a little bit longer (longer casts, better hook sets and ability for slight pitching). 

With the named rods, I also hope to get an upgrade in sensitivity, rod construction quality and components.

Have you considered a z bone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dwight Hottle said:

Have you considered a z bone?

I did. I LOVE the Helium 3, but I feel that the Conquest or Legend X might be slightly nicer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rodney, how about actual weight data in lieu of extremely light, 3.5 oz?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom, 

I think the 843c is 3.9 and the 844c is 4.2 ounces. The Conquests are 10% lighter than the NRX, which for a Loomis fan is all we need to hear. My 842c spinning rod is 3.6 ounces. It isn’t just about the weight though. They are designed to be stronger than an NRX. After fishing with them for a while, I am convinced they will be. Lighter and stronger than an NRX is pretty impressive in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purchased a used Kislter Z-Bone model LEXF-5H-73 Heavy X-Fast 7'3" 1/2 - 1 1/2oz for 270 USD. Seems to be in a very good shape. 

I think that this was too good of a deal to pass... Will see how I like it and maybe switch my 7 foot H3 HXF against a St. Croix Legend X Series Casting Rod 7'1" Med Hvy or Shimano GL Conquest Cast Rod 7' Med Hvy 843C MBR to have a super sensitive rod that I can throw 1/4-1/2 oz Jigs with.

What ya guys thinking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1/2- 1 1/2 oz sounds like a 6 power or as noted Heavy. My 6 powers are rated 3/8- 1 1/4 oz so they are similar and I have no problem casting my 7/16 jigs w/trailers. Keep in mind Xfast 6 power is a stiff rod to cast and will take practice as it doesn't load well with 1/2 oz jigs.

Rodney thank you for the weight data, 4 oz rod weight today are about average with 7' MH rods without a fore grip, with a fore grip it adds about 1/4 oz. My ALX custom rods 6 power weigh 3.8 oz w/ fore grip for comparison and balance perfectly with my reels.

Good luck with your purchase and catch that bass of a lifetime.

:)

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One nice thing about the Conquests is that they are lightweight in spite of having a full cork grip (which some like and some don't). I like a full grip on a casting rod. They also have full size guides with Torzite inserts. I have owned ALX rods and they are nice rods with loyal following. Most rods with a similar weight as the Conquest will most likely have a combination of a split grip, no foregrip, and probably mid or micro guides (which is a preference thing also). The Conquest feels very "substantial" and strong for such a light rod. To put in perspective, I knew the NRX was a strong blank, but it did not feel as nearly as sturdy as the Conquests do. With that said, they have a very high price tag to justify all the technology. I would still choose it over the other high end rods in question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the Loomis NRX first came out they were $500 plus $100 for rod replacement cert. I thought the price was outrageous for a fresh water bass rod. My fishing partner bought 17 NRX rods and I thought he was nuts, Fred passed away last year and family put everything on eBay, what a shame.

Conquest rod give me the sticker shock for bass rods. NRX were state of the art and changed bass rod technology, Conquest will more than likely do the same.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WRB said:

1/2- 1 1/2 oz sounds like a 6 power or as noted Heavy. My 6 powers are rated 3/8- 1 1/4 oz so they are similar and I have no problem casting my 7/16 jigs w/trailers. Keep in mind Xfast 6 power is a stiff rod to cast and will take practice as it doesn't load well with 1/2 oz jigs.

Rodney thank you for the weight data, 4 oz rod weight today are about average with 7' MH rods without a fore grip, with a fore grip it adds about 1/4 oz. My ALX custom rods 6 power weigh 3.8 oz w/ fore grip for comparison and balance perfectly with my reels.

Good luck with your purchase and catch that bass of a lifetime.

:)

Tom

Agreed. That actually was the point that let me hesitate with the purchase, particularly that I have already a 7' Helium 3 HXF. Was thinking of replacing the Helium 3 with a Shimano GL Conquest Cast Rod 7' Heavy 844C MBR or a Shimano GL Conquest Cast Rod 7' Heavy 843C MBR if it turns out that I still have a need/itch for a dedicated high end 3/8 -1/2 oz Jig rod. For now I am planning to use the Helium for paddle tail swimbaits and my Orochi Spinnerbait Special for Jigs in the 3/8-1/2oz range. But I heared that the ZBONe can throw 3/8 oz lures as well 

We shall see... first world problems ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2018 at 12:33 AM, freelancer27 said:

Purchased a used Kislter Z-Bone model LEXF-5H-73 Heavy X-Fast 7'3" 1/2 - 1 1/2oz for 270 USD. Seems to be in a very good shape. 

I think that this was too good of a deal to pass... Will see how I like it and maybe switch my 7 foot H3 HXF against a St. Croix Legend X Series Casting Rod 7'1" Med Hvy or Shimano GL Conquest Cast Rod 7' Med Hvy 843C MBR to have a super sensitive rod that I can throw 1/4-1/2 oz Jigs with.

What ya guys thinking?

 

Know this is a old thread but NICE SCORE !

 

I'm in the same boat right now as I am looking for a Jig Rod.

I have a NRX 803C JWR for Texas Rig that I love to death.

 

Im looking between the Gloomis NRX 854C and St. Croix Legend X Series Casting Rod 7'1" Med Hvy).  I would be happy with the score under $300 shipped. 

 

But your score on Kislter Z-Bone model LEXF-5H-73 Heavy X-Fast just added that to the three on my list. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Burke said:

 

Know this is a old thread but NICE SCORE !

 

I'm in the same boat right now as I am looking for a Jig Rod.

I have a NRX 803C JWR for Texas Rig that I love to death.

 

Im looking between the Gloomis NRX 854C and St. Croix Legend X Series Casting Rod 7'1" Med Hvy).  I would be happy with the score under $300 shipped. 

 

But your score on Kislter Z-Bone model LEXF-5H-73 Heavy X-Fast just added that to the three on my list. 

 

Had the chance to briefly test the 903 today and was able to compare to my Z-Bone 7'3 HXF and Orochi Spinnerbait Special.

In short: I am not impressed. Craftmanship on the rod is below the Orochi, which costs less than a third. Sensitivity was below Zbone AND Orochi. 

I am sure people will disagree. But I am kind of happy with this result. Means I save a lot of money! ;)



Consider a Kistler ZBone (I think they have new ones coming out soon as well)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, freelancer27 said:

Had the chance to briefly test the 903 today and was able to compare to my Z-Bone 7'3 HXF and Orochi Spinnerbait Special.

In short: I am not impressed. Craftmanship on the rod is below the Orochi, which costs less than a third. Sensitivity was below Zbone AND Orochi. 

I am sure people will disagree. But I am kind of happy with this result. Means I save a lot of money! ;)



Consider a Kistler ZBone (I think they have new ones coming out soon as well)

Can you tell me what is a 903 ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Burke said:

Can you tell me what is a 903 ? 

Shimano Conquest 903

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never fished the rods being mentioned, but I do own the current Legend Elite 7' MH F jig rod and it's fantastic.  The Legend X seems to be the same rod with cork split grips, and split grips are my preference for jig fishing.  Had the Legend X been around when I upgraded I would have taken it over the Legend Elite.  And I really, really like my Legend Elite.  If you can get a Legend series rod for $300, I see no reason not to do it.  Even if you don't love it (and I'd be shocked if you don't), you'll still get what you paid selling it used.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×