Sign in to follow this  
volpster31

FISHING GLASSES.....

DO FISHING GLASSES NEED TO BE POLARIZED TO BE EFFECTIVE?

Yes. Polarized will cut glare and help you see into the water. I don't know a fisherman who uses glasses that doesn't use polarized.

I didn't click on your link and can't recommend a brand, but there are many out there which have their advocates.

I'm not being critical, but you ought to turn off your Caps Lock key in accordance with Internet etiquette and the fact that it's harder to read.

That would be a big 10-4  

What has been said is exactly right. If you are looking for sunglasses for fishing than polarized is the only way to go. They come in price from 10 to 200+ bucks. So it's hard to decide. There are many things to concider before buy some "Fishing Glasses" You should have dark colored lenses for sunny days and light colored or amber lenses for low light, cloudy days. My expensive pair are dark green lenses and my cheep pair ($18) are amber. There is not much difference between the two as to how they see into the water but the quality of the lenses and frame are the big differences. The important thing is that they fit. You don't want the sunlight to get in around the edges and reflect onto the back of the lenses so you want some that fit tight to the face (wrap around). You don't want some that fit tight to the rest of the head because after long hours of wearing them you will get a headache. I was cursed with a big head (7 1/2) so this is a big problem for me. I try on hundreds of pairs before I find the ones that work.

ive got some cheapo $10 bass pro shop  polarized sunglasses, but they fit like crap  & id like to have something half-way decent....id like something polarized with interchangeble lenses...i seem to prefer amber lenses  because i have a harder time seeing with dark ones  but is there a good all around lens color  thats (in the middle)?

My green ones are kind of "in the middle". The company that makes them also makes some with interchangeable lenses. But they are pricey.

Guest avid

I wear prescription lenses that darken when exposed to sunlight.  I put a pair of cocoons over them.  Nice fit, good lenses. About 40 bucks If I recall correctly.

Ish Monroe is their pro.  He doesn't use them over RX lenses but they make sleeker models too.

I tried sun covers, renegades, strike kings, before spending the few extra bucks for the cocoons.  Well worth it.

I bought a pair of Native sunglasses last year while skiing, and just used them for fishing as well.  They are grey lenses with 100% uv/polarized yaddayaddayadda.  I find they are a HUGE advantage when fishing as I can see down about 15-20 feet on a calm day (and clear water, obviously).  I wear these glasses every day and will buy another pair when these get too scratched to be any good.  They ran about $100, but remember I bought them in a ski shop where an automatic 25% is added to everything.

As for other brands, I have also used and liked Maui Jims, Bucci (if they still make 'em), RayBan, and Panama Jacks.  The Panama Jacks were certainly the cheapest, but remember, you get what you pay for (they broke after about a year of everyday wear.)

I wear Prescrip. so when I changed from Grey to Brown was a $500 oboy. Brown is the way to go better in most light conditions and it seems to make fish stand out more in water. Most store have that pic. to look at so you no they are polrized.

Garnet

Spend the money to get some decent glasses and absolutely get polarized lenses. Even though some of the cheaper ones may have polarized lenses, the lense may not be 100% optically correct, which if worn for several hours at a time, may result in headaches.

You might also check with a local motorcycle dealer. I work in the motorcycle industry and many companies manufacture glasses with polarized lenses as well as interchangable lenses. Another feature of the glasses you're likely to find at the motorcycle shop (and ones that I use) have foam 'cups' that surround the lense on the inside. These foam inserts help keep the wind out of your eyes when you're at speed on a boat. One final benefit of something for motorcycling is that many of them feature impact resistant lenses, which would be great when that heavy crankbait suddenly frees itself from the brush and smacks you in the face.

If you fish year round, you might also want to check the motorcycle shops for one-piece insulated riding suits. Mine is insulated and waterproof, easy to get in and out of, and works great for fishing. I put mine to the test during our last tournament of the season (last weekend) when the morning temps at launch were 27 degrees. The first day also featured early temps of 27 degrees PLUS 15-20mph winds. I was warm the entire time.

Hillbilly

I use a cheap pair of polarized glasses that I bought for 20bucks at Rite Aid. They work pretty decently. There has been times on spawning season where I can see the bass 4 feet out from the shoreline with the glasses. Mean while my friend is standing right next to me as im pointing to the bass and he is telling me he doesn't see it. Although I usually do not where these glasses until the weather is in the 80s (when the bass are commonly fairly close in)

I wear prescription Trifocal glasses and was always too cheap to pay in excess of $200 for a pair of polarized sunglasses. I used polarized clip-ons that worked OK. Then my employer changed our benefit package and insurance payed for one pair of glasses per year so I got a pair of prescription Serengetis. The first time I wore them fishing I was wondering where all of the "new" structure in the lake came from. I could see under water so much better I could hardly beleive it. The moral of the story is, get as good a pair as you can afford, you will never regret it.

I bought a pair of cheap wlamart sunglasses.  It did not say on the packaging , that they came with a FREE headache.  I bought a pair of Costa Del Mars.  No more headache.  Sometimes getting something for free isn't always the best deal, but everyone is different.  If you can get by with a cheap pair of glasses, then more power to ya.

anyone have an opinion on the stirke kings foudn at walmart?  i just bought thos eto hold me over till i can get to a bass pro.  also anyone have any recommendations for an asian profile (meaning wider head with a barely there nose bridge)?  I usually have to get metal frames with the adjustable nose pieces.

thanks for all the replies guys...

i ended up getting a pair of solar bats..havent really seen them yet because their going to be a gift from my wife for christmas & she wont let me see them or try them on yet(feel like im 10 years old again???)

thanks again