Slade Carroll

Sinking crankbait!!!!

Hey guys I have a rebel wee r square bill crankbait that sinks is it supposed to sink I don’t think so if it is then good but if it’s not please tell me how to fix it or if it’s supposed to why?!??? All my other cranks float

They do make sinking crankbaits, but I'm not sure if that particular one is supposed to or not. If a bait gets a small crack in it, or a leak by the hook hangers or along the seam, they'll take on water and start to sink. You can drill a small hole to drain the water and then epoxy it back shut after it's drained well. 

2 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

They do make sinking crankbaits, but I'm not sure if that particular one is supposed to or not. If a bait gets a small crack in it, or a leak by the hook hangers or along the seam, they'll take on water and start to sink. You can drill a small hole to drain the water and then epoxy it back shut after it's drained well. 

Ok thanks.

I never heard of a sinking Wee R .

How fast is it sinking? I'm not familiar with the wee r but I know some crankbaits slow sink to entice bites

Also, did you put new hooks on it? If you did and they're heavier than the originals, they could cause the bait to sink.

I have never known of a sinking wee r Rebel bait. I have used several and the have all been floating divers. I believe yours has to have a small crack in it. If it does the this bait could break when hooking a good fish. I had this happen to me once with a crank bait of another brand.

Check the seams. If they look different or have popped the paint off then your lure could have swollen up and cracked. Compare the sides to verify swelling. Weird things happen to cranks when they swell or crack.

Thanks everyone for the information the wee r I have is a square bill version it slowly sinks and I just bought it I have barley used the thing