Jump to content
Ksam1234

How far south to fish! Help a northerner

Recommended Posts

Sooo I live in western NY and it looks like we're going to have 12 months of winter this year ha. Shows snow still up till mid April soooo I'm wondering how far south do I need to go for some open water fishing? Anyone know of any smaller lakes I can take my canoe for the day, or even wanna go fishing together ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tennessee has everything you need right now.  LOakes, creeks and rivers.  Small mouth as well as large.....Trout and stripers.  Come and wet a line.:)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Water is open in NC. It is supposed to be 70 on Wednesday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lakes in  Mexico are great this time of year.

Tom

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna have to book a trip soon! Thanks everyone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

South Florida is probably the best place to fish during the winter in the United States. At least this is what I am told by the many northerners who are now living here in South Florida and the ones who visit here every winter. We also got lots of former Californians living in South Florida and it seems like I see more and more California license plates while driving here. Can't blame them since South Florida is a paradise for more than just fishing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a west coast snowbird migration also, the central flyway tends to end up in Mexico.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WRB said:

There is a west coast snowbird migration also, the central flyway tends to end up in Mexico.

 

Mexico and California's clear lake have been a dream of mine to fish ever since I got into fishing again. Going to have to make that happen soon! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can tell it's too windy to fish when I am making this type of replies. We have had lots of rain up north at Clear lake and there is a big California Open bass event coming up April 5th.

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WRB said:

You can tell it's too windy to fish when I am making this type of replies. We have had lots of rain up north at Clear lake and there is a big California Open bass event coming up April 5th.

Tom

Yeah the wind sucks ! Wind and snow is my least favorites, I'm deffiently looking forward to a trip to clear lake sometime this or next year, just not sure the best time for big girls! thinking pre spawn or fall.. hoping for a 8-10 pounder but you can't ever know 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's pretty nice here in Texas too... hitting over 80 during the day pretty much every day now. Only downside? The WIND! I swear it will never stop lol. But I'll take wind and warm weather over ice and snow any day!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it's getting into the 60's here and more brave people are getting out.  Loved the 30's and 40's.....was quiet times with good fishing.

:)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fishing open water with success in Ohio. Indian, Grand, Mosquito, Alum all fishing great. I wouldn't recommend Erie because (at least the western basin) is very rough right now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Florida!

You can start in the pan handle and fish Seminole,

Drive 5 hours and you're at the St Johns River,

Drive 2 hours and you're at the Harris Chain

Drive 1 hour and fish Toho, Kissimee Chain

Drive 2 more and you're at the Rodman Reservoir 

Drive 2 more and you're in Istokpoga 

Come on down 3 and you're in heaven...The Big O itself 

 

'Nuff said

 

(Timing may be different but you get the idea.)

 

 

 

Mike

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mike L said:

Florida!

You can start in the pan handle and fish Seminole,

Drive 5 hours and you're at the St Johns River,

Drive 2 hours and you're at the Harris Chain

Drive 1 hour and fish Toho, Kissimee Chain

Drive 2 more and you're at the Rodman Reservoir 

Drive 2 more and you're in Istokpoga 

Come on down 3 and you're in heaven...The Big O itself 

 

'Nuff said

 

(Timing may be different but you get the idea.)

 

 

 

Mike

 

 

Well said @Mike L. Someone can also visit South Florida for the many exotic fish we have( peacock bass, clown knifefish, bullseye snakehead,etc) , do some big game fishing in the ocean, or even go diving in one of the most beautiful coral reef systems in the world. We are blessed to live in Florida to say the least!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2018 at 6:17 AM, Chuck Popeeye Moser said:

Tennessee has everything you need right now.  LOakes, creeks and rivers.  Small mouth as well as large.....Trout and stripers.  Come and wet a line.:)

 

Pickwick!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have open water 12 months a year and as always I have an open invitation to any members that want to fish with me. Can't promise any big fish, but fish will be caught. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

We have open water 12 months a year and as always I have an open invitation to any members that want to fish with me. Can't promise any big fish, but fish will be caught. 

That’s awesome ! Where about a do you live? Might have to take a trip there also.  Always love fishing new places with good people 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ksam1234 said:

That’s awesome ! Where about a do you live? Might have to take a trip there also.  Always love fishing new places with good people 

Right in the middle of nowhere.

Image result for Lane, ks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Right in the middle of nowhere.

Image result for Lane, ks

Not bad that’s only a 12 hour drive from me probably could make it in 10 ha.  I’ll have to venture out that way sometime.  Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Right in the middle of nowhere.

Image result for Lane, ks

I need a Kansas angling experience in my life. After seeing some of the fish that Ben Milliken and bryan(?) have been catching and then from the pics you post it looks like a blast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CroakHunter said:

I need a Kansas angling experience in my life. After seeing some of the fish that Ben Milliken and bryan(?) have been catching and then from the pics you post it looks like a blast.

Ha! I'm Brian's fill in for weekday trips. Hopefully have a weekend day off in the next year or so and start catching his overflow trips on weekends. A guide is a huge help in a place where big fish aren't very numerous. Brian has that deep water wiper fishing down to a science though. I might go bother some of his pets this week or next if I can get my dad to go with me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×