Skspacemonkey

Lipless Crankbaits In The Summer

Hi, I’ve heard how lipless Crankbaits perform well in the spring and fall and i’m Wondering, does anyone have success on them in the summer? Also what is your favourite lipless to use in the summer? Thanks!

I certainly do ....

When the Big Girls move back offshore or in those deep holes, my first lipless i would reach for is a 1/2 oz. or 3/4 oz. Red Eye Shad depending on the depth.  Color ..... Chrome Blue.

• Like 1

I can’t keep the smallies off a baby bass lipless crankbait in the summer. It’s always a fun day of fishing to throw that. 

2 hours ago, mattkenzer said:

I certainly do ....

When the Big Girls move back offshore or in those deep holes, my first lipless i would reach for is a 1/2 oz. or 3/4 oz. Red Eye Shad depending on the depth.  Color ..... Chrome Blue.

Same here and  chrome blue

RES works for me too . I like to fish them like a worm out on   points .

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Burros said:

You can fish a lipless all year around.

this......

Depending on where you live the challenge with summer and lipless baits can be heavy weeds. You can still fish them in the weeds too but you might consider throwing them on braid and a heavier power rod.

• Like 2

Honestly where I live a lure that catches bass catches them spring, summer, and fall. The only real discrepancy I’ve seen is the topwater bite that is almost non existent in really cold water 

They work year round but especially spring and fall. In warmer water a faster, burning retrieve is good.

My two favorite retrieves for a Red Eye Shad in the summer are a steady retrieve, just ticking the weed-tops and then ripping it free when it catches them and sharp yo-yo type retrieve similar to stroking a jig. That bait is a killer on the fall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2018 at 10:34 PM, papajoe222 said:

sharp yo-yo type retrieve similar to stroking a jig. That bait is a killer on the fall.

Not only that ,  a couple of times after the off-shore bite has slowed down on worms or diving cranks , I worked a Red Eye like described   and caught the largest fish of the day . 

On 3/30/2018 at 4:02 PM, mattkenzer said:

I certainly do ....

Yep...and I like stroking them and letting them shimmy down.  Very  effective.  I do this with chatterbaits as well.

• Like 1