Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Howdy Folks,

Given I am running a 1775 impact, laying rods on the deck isn't an option.

I am all set when I am by myself as there is plenty of room in back, but with a coangler 

I think I need to make something vertical.  I seldom will have more than 6 rods out of the locker and I have seen option on youtube, but am wondering what you guys have done.

Thanks 

Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to fish with a guy who had a vertical rod holder.  It was in front of his console.  The rod were always getting hit by him or me when casting.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On one boat I bolted a simple 2" diameter PVC tube to the gunnel, on per side towards the stern, angled about 30 degrees from vertical. Even then they were still occasionally in the way when casting, or I had to scramble to take them down before going through the culvert near the launch. Once I forgot (just once), and having them angled slightly backwards is what probably saved the rod tips.

 

I think vertical works well as a place to temporarily hold a rod while unhooking a fish or changing a lure 

 

You could probably rig up a PCV solution that pivots fore and aft, with stops, so you could swing it out of the way (almost horizontal) when not needed.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with the others - I tried vertical rod racks for two trips about 10 years ago.  They were constantly in the way, made me have to shorten my back cast, just a complete PITA.

 

...took them off the moment I got home from that 2nd trip.

 

Maybe they are OK for folks who do nothing but sit there and jig without moving around and casting, but I'll never have them on another boat.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do a Google image search of Rod tote or Rod and reel tote. There are a lot of options. You might be able to find one that you can securely mount to your sport track gunwale brackets allowing you additional horizontal storage.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slonezp said:

Do a Google image search of Rod tote or Rod and reel tote. There are a lot of options. You might be able to find one that you can securely mount to your sport track gunwale brackets allowing you additional horizontal storage.

After a few minutes, I am sure I can rid one up on the sport track, thanks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have this same problem trying to carry 9' rods in a 1650 rebel. My idea was to use a sport track mount to Ram mount with a slotted rod holder like you'd put on a wall. I'd put it in the back corner and instead of laying rods flat along the port side, it would incline them and hold the tips up in the air and allow them to hang straight off the back. This would still take up some of the side deck on the port side but otherwise I've got no way to secure 9 footers. I haven't actually tried it yet but I think I'll use a rod strap to secure the butts somewhere along the port side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vilas15 said:

I have this same problem trying to carry 9' rods in a 1650 rebel. My idea was to use a sport track mount to Ram mount with a slotted rod holder like you'd put on a wall. I'd put it in the back corner and instead of laying rods flat along the port side, it would incline them and hold the tips up in the air and allow them to hang straight off the back. This would still take up some of the side deck on the port side but otherwise I've got no way to secure 9 footers. I haven't actually tried it yet but I think I'll use a rod strap to secure the butts somewhere along the port side.

Do what @slonezp suggested......I see several ways to make them work

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's what I did in my Mr Pike.

 

2012-08-18_15-45-41_727.jpg

 

I can put it in any of the seat bases.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NHBull said:

Do what @slonezp suggested......I see several ways to make them work

I would just lay them flat on the port side and that would be fine, but there is the fuel filler towards the back, and the boat starts to curve towards the front since its on 16.5'. I'd also do what @S Hovanec did when traveling and just lay them down, but the flip up seats/casting deck bounces around and has crushed a rod before.

 

Bascially the rod tote wouldn't work because there isn't a long enough straight section on the side of the boat to accommodate 9' rods unless they were angled up to clear the fuel filler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×