Jump to content
Shane Y

Fishing a recently drained lake (pond)

Recommended Posts

I have recently gained access to a 9 acre pond. The guy said the pond was recently drained and he didnt fish before the pond was drained so he knew nothing about what was in there then or now. What are you guys thoughts? He said drained within the past couple of years. Also this is in Georgia if that makes a difference.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you say drained, are we talking "no water left, everything in it died 2 years ago" drained? Or was it just drawn down a bit. And was it refilled naturally by a stream/river that fish can access or by rain? Basically if the max age of the fish in that pond is 2 years I would leave it be for a couple years until fish have a chance to reach decent size. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest I'm not sure. I will find out though.  Crazy story how I found out about the place. The short version is that i am a bee keeper and this is a very rarely used vacation home for these folks. There is a honey bee colony under the siding. They want me to relocate the bees without any harm. I will find out all I can about the place in the next few days. I dont think it was drained down to nothing though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Shane Y said:

To be honest I'm not sure. I will find out though.  Crazy story how I found out about the place. The short version is that i am a bee keeper and this is a very rarely used vacation home for these folks. There is a honey bee colony under the siding. They want me to relocate the bees without any harm. I will find out all I can about the place in the next few days. I dont think it was drained down to nothing though.  

Keep those darned bees away from me, please! They drained a local reservoir here and it greatly improved the fish population. Tons of small ones initially but it's leveling off now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha. I hear ya tnriver....they really ain't that bad. I never thought I would get into something like bee keeping.  I dont even like honey that much at all. They aren't anything compared to wasps or some yellow jackets....they will sting you but I've torn apart some massive hives with upwards of 50,000 bees in it I'd say. Dig their home apart for several hours and probably only take 5 or 10 stings. Get anywhere near a yellow jacket nest and you'll get 5 or 10 stings for just looking at them sideways.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It takes bass about 3 years to reach 10" to 12" long, then grow about 1/2 to 1 pound a year, if they are female, until they reach maximum weight for the eccosystem. 

If the pond was drained to very low water level it more then likely lost all the adult size bass from lack of dissolved oxygen if not spring or fed. The owner doesn't stock bass how will they get into a pond?

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, WRB said:

 

If the pond was drained to very low water level it more then likely lost all the adult size bass from lack of dissolved oxygen if not spring or fed.

I might be misreading the last statement,  but I thought spring water had no oxygen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Arcs&sparks said:

I might be misreading the last statement,  but I thought spring water had no oxygen?

You are right, spring water is void of DO until it mixes by wind action. Without a renewable source of cool water the shallow pond water over heats and looses DO, stagnating. The word missing was stream as in stream fed.

Tom

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:47 PM, WRB said:

It takes bass about 3 years to reach 10" to 12" long, then grow about 1/2 to 1 pound a year, if they are female, until they reach maximum weight for the eccosystem. 

If the pond was drained to very low water level it more then likely lost all the adult size bass from lack of dissolved oxygen if not spring or fed. The owner doesn't stock bass how will they get into a pond?

Tom

It depends on the strain of largemouth bass. Certain species grow and achieve a much greater growth rate and overall weight potential. Many studies have found the growth of the northern and Florida bass showed that northern bass grew faster than Florida bass through the first two years, after which Florida bass grew faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't know if any bass are in this pond before it was drained let alone what strian they may have been. 

Growth rates are dependant on the ecosystem and the gender, both are important. We know this pond wasn't managed for bass, it was on its own. 

Just curious in your studies was growth rate measured in length or weight or both?

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×