Hey  everyone, for starters get your minds out of the gutter😆 my trolling motor has a 36 in. Shaft now but i want to go to a stronger motor bur will have 45 in. Shaft.  This isn't a big problem, is it? Can i just leave excess sticking up out of mount? Thanks for any and all looks and answers.   BW

My trolling motor is almost never all the way down, unless I'm fishing rough water.  I usually have about about 6"-1' sticking above the mount.

If you don't think it would get in the way of casting at all then there's no problem with leaving it up some.

I didnt think it would cause any problems. Wanted  to see if anyone coyld see  trouble with the swap but i dont really have anything  i can see.  I know its my boat and its up to me but wanted other viewpoints. Thanks again 

My saying is that you can always raise the head and make it shorter but you can't add any length.  I run a 45in on my 21ft Ranger, my buddy runs a 52 inch on his 20 foot ranger.  He fishes in 2 ft and 20 ft.  If you fish big rough water longer is better.  

3 minutes ago, TOXIC said:

My saying is that you can always raise the head and make it shorter but you can't add any length.  I run a 45in on my 21ft Ranger, my buddy runs a 52 inch on his 20 foot ranger.  He fishes in 2 ft and 20 ft.  If you fish big rough water longer is better.  

I've got a 60" on a 16.5' deep V 😁

• Like 1

As others have stated there shouldn't be any issue as long as your aware it's there. Fighting a fish would be the only time I'd think it could be an issue at all if you have it up higher in shallower water, but you should be able to eliminate the possibility with rod positioning. 

I run an Ulterra 60" shaft on a boat that'd be fine with a 48"...but wouldn't quite get it done with 45"...and it's just fine.

Do I smack it now and then?  Yup.  But I also fly fish from up there and if I can manage that chucking gear with an extra 15" is not really a problem.

...The Ulterra does have power trim so I can drop it to the deck with the touch of a button if I need a strong side arm cast across the bow.

I'm running a 52" Riptide on my 16' Alweld 😉