gjfisher

Zoom Super Fluke Alternative

Can you recommend a better alternative to the zoom super fluke?  I am looking for a 5 inch soft jerk bait that's a bit bulkier than the super fluke but not as long or large as the zoom magnum fluke. 

I used to fish the F&S sugar jerk 5 inch bait and really like the action of the tail in the water and the casting distance.  They don't appear to make them any more, at least I couldn't find them in the pearl white color that I am looking for.  Now I am fishing the zoom super fluke but do not like it as much.

Try the Mann´s Hardnose Jerkbait! They´re bulkier and a bit longer than the 5" Zoom Flukes:

mann_s.jpg

They cast like a bullet, even weightless, and the action is great!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I like the looks of that Mann's.

I've always fish zoom super salty fluke, it's a confidence bait but there is times when a bulkier bait would be better. Thanks for that

Strike King Caffeine Shad is a solid Producer and a viable Fluke alternative.

s-l1600.jpg

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Easy answer.....Yamamoto DShad.  Made out of the same material as a senko and weighs more than most any 5" fluke style bait.  Heavy enough to drag weightless like a tube.  It's one of my most favorite baits Yamamoto makes.  

KFS-K853-thmb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, A-Jay said:

Strike King Caffeine Shad is a solid Producer and a viable Fluke alternative.

s-l1600.jpg

:smiley:

A-Jay

X2 - 100%

preder the bubble tail action of the Caffeine Shad on the pause/fall over the Super Fluke

• Like 2

Second the Mann's Hardnose. The nose is tough as nails and one will last a long time.

42 minutes ago, NittyGrittyBoy said:

What's the price range on them? I can get a 10pk of zoom flukes for $2.80

DShad is $5 for 7 of them. It will be almost impossible to find an alternative to the fluke at the same price point.

1 hour ago, NittyGrittyBoy said:

What's the price range on them? I can get a 10pk of zoom flukes for $2.80

Try the Mann´s! I buy them here in Europe for 3.20€ /10pk, and, as others said, they are very tough. You won´t be disapointed...

I just started using the Damiki Armor Shad and have to say I was impressed with the initial results. Sometimes it's good to be throwing something just a little different when a lot of other people are throwing the Zoom fluke.

image.png.d5160c23b52ad0c3d92b42c674e00a62.png

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Damiki_Armor_Shad_Soft_Jerkbaits/descpage-DARM.html

This year I switched from Zoom's Super Fluke to Z-Man's Jerk ShadZ. Their ElaZtech® plastic outlasts plastisol baits by 5 - 1 or more. I prefer nose hooking for the best action and also super glue (with Loctite Gel) a 3/64 oz. nail weight into the belly slot for a slow sink.

Stretched%20ShadZ_zpsrfpirelq.jpg

2nd%20on%20ShadZ_zps7jqed2qr.jpg

It casts great and it sure does agitate the smallies!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yum Houdini Shad

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Will Wetline said:

This year I switched from Zoom's Super Fluke to Z-Man's Jerk ShadZ. Their ElaZtech® plastic outlasts plastisol baits by 5 - 1 or more. I prefer nose hooking for the best action and also super glue (with Loctite Gel) a 3/64 oz. nail weight into the belly slot for a slow sink.

+1 on that. Elaztech really is durable. ;) 

Caffeine shads are great baits but they fish a lot different than your traditional fluke. I prefer the caffeine shad jrs they engulf theses things.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all the replies!  I have a lot of options here.  

How durable are the DShad and the Caffeine shad?  Durability is important to me (but not as important as the action) since the main lake I fish at has a lot of grass and I fish weedless rigged “fluke like” baits a lot.

Mann’s Hardnose is $3.50 a pack of 10 at TW.  That’s pretty sweet!  I like the ZMan Elaztech series too so will check out the jerk shadz as well!

46 minutes ago, Burros said:

Caffeine shads are great baits but they fish a lot different than your traditional fluke. I prefer the caffeine shad jrs they engulf theses things.

Care to elaborate?  How do they fish different than a fluke?

7 minutes ago, gjfisher said:

How durable are the DShad and the Caffeine shad?  Durability is important to me 

Care to elaborate?  How do they fish different than a fluke?

Not very durable but very effective, they are a lot heavier than super flukes and they have more action on the tail. Kinda like fishing a senko with a shad style tail.

Never leave home without them!

4E19B5DF-7E5F-4C2C-9A5C-EF83661092BA.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Those Zman's Jerk Shads look promising. I really need to get some of those. I love the Elaztech products for their durability and occasionally for their buoyancy. 

You’ll get better action and durability with the Caffeine Shad if you use an Owner Twistlock Light 3/32 oz 4/0 hook.

It will last longer with a screwlock hook, but most importantly, the action is far better than a standard fluke.  The Caffeine Shad on this rig will swim more horizontally on the fall, then stop, change directions, flutter the bubble tail, and seemingly swim by itself in a different direction before going down.  Irresistible dying action.   Then jerk, jerk and start the process all over again.  Hard to do this with a standard fluke...

3 hours ago, Will Wetline said:

Do you have to add weight to them to sink, I know elaztec is very Boayant?

My absolute favorite bait, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one fishing them! 

No matter the brand weightless fluke type bait is hard to beat!

10 hours ago, Burros said:

Do you have to add weight to them to sink, I know elaztec is very Boayant?

I had added the weight before my first cast because I knew that once the salt dissolved it would float. And, as I used it, it seemed to ride higher in the water. So yes, experiment with nail weights until you find what you want regarding depth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Long before any of these imitations was Bass Assassin's Shad Assassin.

It comes in 3-5-7"

It also comes in a 4" fork tail & a slimmer 6" Twitch Assassin 

https://bassassassin.com/product-category/freshwater/