Jump to content
Calvin Lau

Heavy cover bass fishing "Fear"

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

I am a new angler for heavy cover bass fishing, I'm also the "fear" type when it comes to bass fishing since I've snapped one of the fishing rod due to "high-sticking".  Since then, I avoid to let me rod goes vertically at 90 deg. 

 

Last week, I went fishing and aimed for heavy cover with some lily pad to practice my flipping and set hook technique, I tried frogging, swim jig and Texas rig and unbelievably, I missed 10 fishes from heavy cover in 1 day and never landed a single one, it was an embarrassing moment and very disappointing.  I knew I wasn't setting the hook right and the hook never penetrated the fish.  A gentleman next to me gave me some advises and suggested me to keep the rod up and high once I hooked the fish, don't let the fish swim away or it will be a mess, retrieve it as quick as possible. 

 

My fear comes to How to properly set hook without snapping the rod?  If I keep the rod up and high, the rod will go vertically at 90 degree, which classify as high-sticking.

 

Thanks guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and Welcome to Bass Resource ~ 

Help yourself out by doing a little research into fishing heavy cover for bass.

Specifically the right type & size rod.  The correct, reel, line & terminal tackle (weight & hook) can also make a world of difference on improving success.

Plenty of useful info in the BR articles section.  

 https://www.bassresource.com/fishing-techniques/

:smiley:

A-Jay

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your rod was probably defective or the wrong type for heavy cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing to be embarrassed about. At least you know the fish are there, that's half the battle. If your worried about snapping your rod, maybe try a cheap rod at first or something that's almost impossible to snap, an ugly stick comes to mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you are using too light of rod/reel and line.

 

Personally I don’t enjoy flipping but there was a local trail tournament on Kissimmee yesterday and you can rest assured that most of the fish weighed in were caught flipping. 5 fish limit, one day tournament. 10th place was 26.43. Took 32.12 to win. Most all flipping. These guys use some stout tackle. 

 

You may may want to re-visit your tackle selection if you want success in heavy cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  U.y Flipping is my favorite way to fish.  I try to keep tension on the line and FEEL the fish, much like when frog fishing.  Reel down a couple of times and pull.  Not the bone jarring hook set that you see all the youtubers do, but a hard, straight up pull.  

 

When I've got one hooked, I tend to keep the rod tip low.  I rarely lose a fish when I get a good hookset.  

 

Heavy cover requires heavy gear.  If you have the right equipment, there's nothing to fear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your kindness and warm welcome guys.  Thanks for the link! Extremely helpful!

 

I just visited BP and bought a cheap stick to practice on, hope to improve my hookset and catch some Biggen! :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome to the forum. I would use medium heavy or heavy action rod for the heavy stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Log Catcher said:

Hello and welcome to the forum. I would use medium heavy or heavy action rod for the heavy stuff.

yes sir, i was using a 7'2" Heavy Fast action rod, Lure Wt. 7/16-1 1/2oz and I was using a 1oz jig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your rod sounds good. What reel and line? I'd use braid, at least 30lb, up to 65 depending on cover. A straight up hookset will pin more fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fish the heavy cover  set the hook hard and catch some big bass .

 

 I dont even know what "High sticking"  is .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Drew03cmc said:

Your rod sounds good. What reel and line? I'd use braid, at least 30lb, up to 65 depending on cover. A straight up hookset will pin more fish.

Using 65lb braided paird with Abu Garcia Revo SX.

 

According to this youtube video:

 

This guy didn't even go all the way to 90 deg. and the rod snapped, maybe its just a Med rod?  Heres the tricky part, when I set hook with a heavy rod, do I have to avoid taking the rod past the 45-60 degree?  If thats the case, how do I properly set hook from heavy cover without risking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What was the line rating on the rod?  Was your drag locked down?  Almost sounds like your rod was already high, with a tight line, and you delivered a monster hookset and snapped the tip.

 

When you feel the fish, reel down and pull up.  It's been my experience that a monster hookset isn't necessary while flipping with heavy braid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Calvin Lau said:

My fear comes to How to properly set hook without snapping the rod?  If I keep the rod up and high, the rod will go vertically at 90 degree, which classify as high-sticking

 

My rod is never above the 11°clock position & never drops below the 9:30 position.

 

When you feel the bite drop the rod from 11°clock to 9:30 reeling slack at the same rate speed your rod tip is dropping & then set the hook.

 

Drop the rod, reel the slack, & set the hook!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Catt said:

 

My rod is never above the 11°clock position & never drops below the 9:30 position.

 

When you feel the bite drop the rod from 11°clock to 9:30 reeling slack at the same rate speed your rod tip is dropping

Same here on the rod position. I just hate getting the bite when the rod is at 9:30, I miss more of those.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Todd2 said:

Same here on the rod position. I just hate getting the bite when the rod is at 9:30, I miss more of those.

 

9:30 is only on the hook set!

 

In heavy cover (wood or grass) you have to turn the bass's head, get her coming up, in one motion, on the hook set.

 

You control the head, you control the body!

 

Set hook with speed as in as soon as you feel it, remove all the slack you can without notifying the bass, & get the rod tip going up.

 

Do all three of those asap!

 

Set hook with aggression; ya wanna move that bass where she don't go...up!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Calvin Lau said:

This guy didn't even go all the way to 90 deg. and the rod snapped, maybe its just a Med rod?  Heres the tricky part, when I set hook with a heavy rod, do I have to avoid taking the rod past the 45-60 degree?  If thats the case, how do I properly set hook from heavy cover without risking?

Unless the fish that you are setting the hook on is right at your feet, I don't think you need to worry. Most of the time when people break a rod by high-sticking, it is because they are trying to flip a fish in with the rod raised up high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With heavy cover remember you're the boss. You got the rod, reel and line for the job. You get a bite, reel down your slack til it's taught and drive that hook home. Don't think about "fighting" the fish. Once you get a fish hooked in heavy stuff and get him turned around the fight is over, drag that sucker across the top of the pads or mat. Don't let it swim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2018 at 1:30 PM, Calvin Lau said:

Hi all,

 

I am a new angler for heavy cover bass fishing, I'm also the "fear" type when it comes to bass fishing since I've snapped one of the fishing rod due to "high-sticking".  Since then, I avoid to let me rod goes vertically at 90 deg. 

 

Last week, I went fishing and aimed for heavy cover with some lily pad to practice my flipping and set hook technique, I tried frogging, swim jig and Texas rig and unbelievably, I missed 10 fishes from heavy cover in 1 day and never landed a single one, it was an embarrassing moment and very disappointing.  I knew I wasn't setting the hook right and the hook never penetrated the fish.  A gentleman next to me gave me some advises and suggested me to keep the rod up and high once I hooked the fish, don't let the fish swim away or it will be a mess, retrieve it as quick as possible. 

 

My fear comes to How to properly set hook without snapping the rod?  If I keep the rod up and high, the rod will go vertically at 90 degree, which classify as high-sticking.

 

Thanks guys

How exactly did your rod snap?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be fairly difficult to damage a fishing rod by setting a hook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×