I have never carped fished before and found this canal that is about 25-40 feet wide with a lot of Carp in it. They usually travel around the surface in groups of 3-6. We tried making a bread ball and covering the hook with it and then casting at them but they wouldn't bite. Any ideas on what we could use to catch these fish? 

What tackle are you using? Rod/reel/line/hooks? Carp are pretty skittish and can be very difficult to get to take a back and often will reject it quickly if not using the proper equipment. My gear basically equates to what we typically use for dropshot gear, a M or ML rod with 10 or 20 pound braid and an 8lb leader of mono or fluorocarbon with a light slip sinker rig to a small, light hook baited with corn. Carp aren't going to straighten a hook if you set the drag properly, but they will pull the hook or spool you if you're not careful. The one I caught Tuesday I actually sight casted to with corn as it cruised the shallows. They actively take flies if you like flyfishing. 

Chum the area with a can of corn or dough balls . I love fishing for carp . some days they prefer one over the others . Wheaties make for a good dough ball  .Get a handful  dip it in the water and squeeze . 

I have a canal near my. Pretty secluded, lots of bushes and stuff growing on both sides. I see the carp eating berries as they fall in. Some are red, some black. I put a red fly on my fly rod, doesn't seem to spook them like a spinning rod/hook does. And the fight a carp can do on a fly rod? FUN!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B-Dozer said:

I have a canal near my. Pretty secluded, lots of bushes and stuff growing on both sides. I see the carp eating berries as they fall in. Some are red, some black. I put a red fly on my fly rod, doesn't seem to spook them like a spinning rod/hook does. And the fight a carp can do on a fly rod? FUN!!!

Now that sounds like a lot of fun . I use to fish under a mullberry tree when they were ripe . I'd put a big fat one on a hook , flip it out there on an ultra light and the berry rarely reached bottom .

• Like 2

On 7/4/2018 at 8:55 PM, Bluebasser86 said:

What tackle are you using? Rod/reel/line/hooks? Carp are pretty skittish and can be very difficult to get to take a back and often will reject it quickly if not using the proper equipment. My gear basically equates to what we typically use for dropshot gear, a M or ML rod with 10 or 20 pound braid and an 8lb leader of mono or fluorocarbon with a light slip sinker rig to a small, light hook baited with corn. Carp aren't going to straighten a hook if you set the drag properly, but they will pull the hook or spool you if you're not careful. The one I caught Tuesday I actually sight casted to with corn as it cruised the shallows. They actively take flies if you like flyfishing. 

Sorry for the late response. I was using an ultralight rod with 6 pound mono and a wacky rig type of circle hook. i was originally fishing for other species when I saw them. Could you post a picture of what your rig looks like?

I don’t know about the skateboard, but I’ve been told that for the conditions you describe, this is the proper technique:

On 7/7/2018 at 11:29 AM, DevinFishing29 said:

Sorry for the late response. I was using an ultralight rod with 6 pound mono and a wacky rig type of circle hook. i was originally fishing for other species when I saw them. Could you post a picture of what your rig looks like?

It was a #8 Gamakatsu octopus hook, about 16" of 8lb mono leader to a barrel swivel, tied to 10lb braid. I started with a slip sinker but when I was sight casting I took the sinker off. 

On 7/4/2018 at 5:16 PM, DevinFishing29 said:

I have never carped fished before and found this canal that is about 25-40 feet wide with a lot of Carp in it. They usually travel around the surface in groups of 3-6. We tried making a bread ball and covering the hook with it and then casting at them but they wouldn't bite. Any ideas on what we could use to catch these fish? 

Use a corn carp are easy to catch use a light split shot with a small mosquito hook one peice of corn and chum a little. 

add804d53930a8cf08fda5b0f3299c53.thumb.jpg.cdce49e0f49febf1de0d853832956c15.jpg

I prefer the Confidence rig. Its easy to make and easy to cast. Corn is my bait of choice. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 6:55 AM, Gundog said:

add804d53930a8cf08fda5b0f3299c53.thumb.jpg.cdce49e0f49febf1de0d853832956c15.jpg

I prefer the Confidence rig. Its easy to make and easy to cast. Corn is my bait of choice. 

I came up with my own bolt rig   on the spot one day.  It exceeded expectations . The trebel hook is used primarily as the bait holder , I squeeze the barbs down .The other hook is an octopuss hook. The plastic tubing just keeps the line aligned , dont have to learn a fancy knot . I just stripped apiece of electrical wire to get it . The bobber stop keeps it together . Chum the area down , put the dough ball on and  place rod in a secure rod holder and wait . Dont have to set the hook . The carp will take care of that .  My dough ball is usually Wheaties , I  used a piece of bread here just for the pictures .

IMG_5038.jpg

IMG_5058.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, scaleface said:

IMG_5038.jpg

IMG_5058.jpg

Sweet DIY rig. 

• Like 1