I searched, but no post about this great knot, so I feel the need to get its attention here.

I've been searching, trying and testing for the perfect knot ever since I started fishing. This is the one, the only one.

If you find that your AG chain knot cannot beat your favorite knot, then you have not done this knot right. Don't add to this knot any other enhancements you find on the net, such as double threads into the eye, they all actually weaken this knot. Just do it purely the simplest way - under and over half hitches, alternatively for 8-12 times. Don't pull too hard except the last run and always pull at 120 degree (the angle between the main line and tag).

If you use this knot only (no any other type of knots in the line), you'll find that your line can go thinner because this knot virtually keeps the line strength to 100%. I use 12 lb Pline C21 copolymer for everything from crappie, bass to sea bass and lingcod, with a 12 lb Seaguar red label or STS leader after a swivel.

Another thing I have been searching for is a slip bobber stop. They all suck - too tight to move and become loose over time. Now I use this knot to tie a stop for sinker and bobber, perfect.

This is the very only knot that I use now, because it is the only knot that's constantly dependable. I can make this knot always tag down to be weedless. I can also make it a loop knot when needed. No problem with fluorocarbon and I never moisture.

This knot is actually extremely easy to learn and remember. It is nothing but the very, very basic knot repeated 8-12 times. It is so simple and straight forward, probably why it is so perfect.

I will knot be doing that...

I don't doubt its strength, but there's more to knot popularity than strength. 

Speed of tying, ability to tie with gloved hands, tying with cold hands, compatibility with varying line materials, etc. all factor in. 

If I were ocean or big game fishing, which it appears the videos are addressing, it would be a go-to, but for bass fishing, especially tournament fishing, I can't see the speed beating a Palomar or SDJ in switching baits and tying lines quickly. I can knock out a palomar or even an 8-turn SDJ in just a few seconds, but this would take me a significant bit more time to do correctly on the fly. Maybe if you were tying on a lure you knew for a fact you wouldn't be switching out, like a jig or finesse plastic, but even then this knot's profile would be lost on me in my waters as it would snag far too much slop and debris.

Looks good and strong though.....I'll probably give it a try. I'm a sucker for trying new knots and lines.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Preytorien said:

I don't doubt its strength, but there's more to knot popularity than strength. 

Speed of tying, ability to tie with gloved hands, tying with cold hands, compatibility with varying line materials, etc. all factor in. 

If I were ocean or big game fishing, which it appears the videos are addressing, it would be a go-to, but for bass fishing, especially tournament fishing, I can't see the speed beating a Palomar or SDJ in switching baits and tying lines quickly. I can knock out a palomar or even an 8-turn SDJ in just a few seconds, but this would take me a significant bit more time to do correctly on the fly. Maybe if you were tying on a lure you knew for a fact you wouldn't be switching out, like a jig or finesse plastic, but even then this knot's profile would be lost on me in my waters as it would snag far too much slop and debris.

Looks good and strong though.....I'll probably give it a try. I'm a sucker for trying new knots and lines.

Odd, too, that it is just the ending series of alternate "over and under" half hitches that terminate the respected FG knot used for junctions between leaders and main lines.

If these half hitches all by themselves are so very strong, I don't doubt this, it means all of the line plaiting for the FG itself done beforehand . . . are of no actual incremental value.

At least in theory, one could overlap two lines, as in a Uni junction knot, tie the hitches in both directions and snug together. It'd take a lot of time.

Oddly, the knots shown in the example videos are sort of bulky looking compared to the sleekness of an FG knot. Not so much an issue with terminal tackle knots, but a no-go for junction knots that often have to pass through guides.

Hmm? I'm rolling all of this around in my head.  Fun for us knot freaks.

Brad

So basically the "just tie a whole bunch of granny knots" knot.  Cool.

10 hours ago, LionHeart said:

So basically the "just tie a whole bunch of granny knots" knot.  Cool.

That pretty much sums it up.

It does derive some extra strength by alternating the "grannies" over and under.

But, hey, that is all a Palomar knot is, too, excepting it is tied using a bight; that, and the loop acts as an "anchor" after it is passed around the hook.

Brad

You need 3 hands or use your teeth, when you done burn the end of the line to form a nob so it will not slip. Try tieing this not in the wind or at night or.....

Tom 

I appreciate "new" knots, the creation of knots and all that. The 

AG is no exception. Looks to be a great knot.

But I'm about simplicity, and ability to quickly tie when out on the 

water in my kayak. So for terminal knots, usually a uni or palomar

work for me.

On 11/7/2018 at 6:48 PM, Darren. said:

I appreciate "new" knots, the creation of knots and all that. The 

AG is no exception. Looks to be a great knot.

But I'm about simplicity, and ability to quickly tie when out on the 

water in my kayak. So for terminal knots, usually a uni or palomar

work for me.

This knot is actually extremely simple, more simple than uni and Palomar you mentioned and others. You simply repeat the same turn for 8 times, nothing to learn, nothing to remember, nothing to forget. No moisture needed. When I don't care too much about the strength, I repeat only 6 times even 4 sometimes. The very only downside is I have to use my teeth, but not a problem at all.

Personally....I DO NOT want a knot that is at 100% line strength. I run leaders for most of my fishing and it is critical that the connection knot to your lure fails before your leader knot connecting the lines so that I can break off snags. 

19 minutes ago, MassYak85 said:

Personally....I DO NOT want a knot that is at 100% line strength. I run leaders for most of my fishing and it is critical that the connection knot to your lure fails before your leader knot connecting the lines so that I can break off snags. 

I also always use a leader. But weak knot is not the solution for that purpose, because all knots except FG chain can break anywhere between 0% and 100%. So I use a thinner line where need to break first.

14 minutes ago, govallis said:

I also always use a leader. But weak knot is not the solution for that purpose, because all knots except FG chain can break anywhere between 0% and 100%. So I use a thinner line where need to break first.

I always use weaker line than my mainline. What I'm saying is I want the weak point of my leader to by the connection to the lure so I can break off a snag without trashing 6 feet of leader line. I'm also not sure the "0-100" thing is accurate. Tied correctly no knot should fail anywhere close to 0% line strength. 

This knot looks ok, but not while I'm bobbing up and down in a boat in the wind.