JeepFisher

Reel Cleaning question...

Pulled out an old Abu Garcia Revo Inshore (the first year model) and decided to give it a good cleaning and upgrade anything (drag/bearings/etc...) that needed to be done to return it to good condition. Not sure what this is called, but should I replace it?  In the schematic it doesnt separate from the side plate so I would need a whole new side plate.  Any advice is appreciated, I am not even sure what this part does.

IMG_20181201_113315.thumb.jpg.62341a3981efa4b624e8d4f42dfd8552.jpg

Looks like an anti-reverse clutch.    jj

• Like 1

It's the AR bearing. Usually takes quite a bit of force but you can push them out from the outside in..unless that particular reel has it molded in which would be odd. 

• Like 1

If you decide to press it out of the cover, soak the whole thing in Dawn and water for a while then use a socket the size of the roller bearing housing with the cover facing down and press.  It may require a light tap, but do not hit it so hard you damage the cover.  Once out, rinse well, dry well then spray the bearing with CRC Electronic cleaner before you lube the roller bearings with an oiled Qtip run around the inside of the roller bearings.  Very, very light oil is the key.  The electronic cleaner will remove junk and old grease quickly, will evaporite fast and will not harm the material in which the roller bearings are housed.  DVT may also have his expert take on this.

• Like 1

A R clutch looks damaged

• Like 2

I had the bearing on my fresh water use Ryoga get to this point. Discovered these bearings are not stainless steel. They depend on oil coating to prevent rust.

I flushed my AR bearing with lots of lighter fluid, right in place. No bearing removal - just the collar. Many applications of fluid and drying with q-tips and cloth; until most of the rust was gone. Worked on the collar too, but that's easy.

Reassemble with light coating of oil (widely recommended over grease). I actually used grease, with no problem (did the work before finding that a light coating of oil is best).

I think this one will clean up and work fine. Especially if it was working OK. Mine didn't fail in the Ryoga. Just developed a faint squeak. Heard of many others cleaning and oiling with success.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bayvalle said:

A R clutch looks damaged

Yeah, the race on that ARB looks like toast, but I've seen some that looked worse than that which worked ok after a cleaning and lube.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone...  Wasnt sure if it was damaged or just gunked up.  I have it sitting in simple green and then will clean it out and see.  Didnt notice any issues before, but also hadnt used this reel in at least a couple years.  

1 hour ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

I'd try cleaning it in place first. Let us know how you make out. 

Thanks! will do...

Put it back together per the schematic and the spool isnt turning with the handle.  Time to take it all apart again...

38 minutes ago, JeepFisher said:

Put it back together per the schematic and the spool isnt turning with the handle.  Time to take it all apart again...

The A R  Clutch is directional so you must put in correctly. Secondly, if your solvent washed the grease out then you will need to repack them. 

Couldnt remove the clutch so that is the same.  I re-lubed the AR...one set of directions said I could oil.  Is that not correct?

Put it back together again and it started out kind of sticking at the end of the worm gear (not directly related to worm gear though i believe).  Then i just kept reeling it and something clicked and now it works great.  Not sure what it could have been (misaligned something?).  Polished the gears and replaced the drag.  Cant wait to try it out again.