JohnFromLisbon

Do you use your spinnerbait rod for other types of lures?

Hey guys,

I came across someone who's looking to sell their Loomis 812C spinnerbait rod for a really good price (and it comes with a Curado 51E, so it's a steal!).

The thing is, although I do occasionally throw spinnerbaits, I was hoping I could use the rod with other types of lures, like medium sized jerkbaits and small(ish) poppers and walkers - think no. 8 and 10 X-Raps, and Skitter Pops and V's. On paper, the 812 is long enough that I'd make decent casts, but short enough to jerk the tip down without risking any damage.

Does anyone who own this model use it for stuff other than spinnerbaits? What's your experience with it?

Thanks!

John

I don't have that rod but I use my spinnerbait rod for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, jigs and worms sometimes top water.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jig Man said:

I don't have that rod but I use my spinnerbait rod for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, jigs and worms sometimes top water.

Yeah, chatterbaits would be another thing I'd like covered. For bottom contact lures I have a 7'3 MossyBack and a cheaper 7' MH Shimano that have almost everything of that nature covered 👌

The issue here is that this specific rod is a 2 power, and that's Loomis-talk for Medium at best, since their old spinnerbait rod range went from a 1 power to a 4. 

The 812C spinnerbait rod is a medium power rod with an extra fast action. Loomis tapers are what makes them special and that rod is a good one. I'd use it for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits in the 1/4oz to 3/8oz range, it can handle 1/2oz models but it does feel a little underpowered at that point. Other uses would be light Texas rigs and jigs in the same weight range. It will handle jerkbaits and topwaters but the backbone is a little much but soft jerkbaits are another story, it is a killer fluke rod.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smalljaw67 said:

The 812C spinnerbait rod is a medium power rod with an extra fast action. Loomis tapers are what makes them special and that rod is a good one. I'd use it for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits in the 1/4oz to 3/8oz range, it can handle 1/2oz models but it does feel a little underpowered at that point. Other uses would be light Texas rigs and jigs in the same weight range. It will handle jerkbaits and topwaters but the backbone is a little much but soft jerkbaits are another story, it is a killer fluke rod.

Thanks! Flukes are another thing I'd like a good rod for. I'm throwing them on the 7' MH, and even fishing the double fluke rig (or the... ugh... "donkey rig" 😂) I feel it's too stout.

I guess I'm getting another Loomis then!

I occasionally use mine for bladed jigs and buzzbaits. I fish pretty heavy line on my spinnerbait rod so just because of that it makes it difficult to use it for a lot of techniques. 

• Like 1

SBR 812C does a lot of things well. One that hasn't been mentioned is being a killer blade bait rod. Also used it a lot for Spooks, and smaller/lighter jigs and worms.

• Like 2

Pfleuger Trion 30 mounted on a 6'6 M/F GX2 Ugly Stick with 12# Flouro

I toss spinners, light Texas/Carolina Rigs, Diving hard-baits (Rapalas, etc), chatterbaits and medium weight jig-rigs with it.

I don't see an issue with lures other than spinners from a spinning rod/reel combo.

My two baitcasters are for heavier throws (Garcia Silver-Max on a 6'6 M/F GX2, 20# Power Pro) or punching into heavy cover (Pfleuger President on a 6'10 Lews MH/F SG-1, 50# Power Pro)

• Like 1

Don't think I have ever given any real consideration to a dedicated spinnerbait rod.  I usually just pick a rod with a F or XF action, line depending on the cover, length depending on the type of casting.  Seems like most rods work fine with spinnerbaits if you match them to the conditions.

• Like 1

You betcha I use my Spinnerbait rod for other uses!  The Curado 51E is a sought after greenie! It is a excellent light bait reel and it sounds like you've got a good high quality rod matches it well.  I think would be good/great set up for throwing weightless plastics (senkos, flukes and small swim baits), Finesse worms, Shaky heads, small light balsa cranks like a shad rap or smaller cranks and small square bills.  Besides 3/8 oz Spinner baits and Chatter baits.  

FM

• Thanks 1

I use a MH/F rod for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, deep crankbaits, and some topwaters. I don't fish spinnerbaits enough to have a rod dedicated exclusively to them.

Tom

• Like 1

I don't give my rods names 😉

That way they don't get confused when I throw a trap on my spinnerbait rod!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:01 AM, JohnFromLisbon said:

Hey guys,

I came across someone who's looking to sell their Loomis 812C spinnerbait rod for a really good price (and it comes with a Curado 51E, so it's a steal!).

The thing is, although I do occasionally throw spinnerbaits, I was hoping I could use the rod with other types of lures

I have been using a mojo spinner bait rod for a couple of years and I use it for spinner baits chatter baits and square bills but I could probably use it for whatever its sensitivity is not numero uno but its good enough.  

• Like 1

I use a MH/Fast, so I use it for many different lures, bigger cranks, chatterbaits, jigs, medium sized swimbaits, medium sized walking baits.............

• Like 1