Trying to choose between the Shimano SLX and the Diawa Tatula CT. The SLX is $20 cheaper.

What are you looking for in a reel?

21 minutes ago, Hook2Jaw said:

What are you looking for in a reel?

Just an all purpose reel. Durable and best bang for the buck. 

Both are great.  The Tatula will offer a lot of control and external adjustability with the Magforce Z.  The SLX is more of a set and forget brake system and is reliant on your thumb for bait placement and to respond to sudden bait deacceleration due to wind ect.  If you already use and like centrifugal reels then this should be a non issue.  The SLX is smaller and lighter weight than the Tatula as well.  My preference for Magforce Z would lead me to the Tatula but the SLX looks to be a really good reel.  

• Like 2

Goodness, this is much harder now. 

I believe both reels to be excellent bang for your buck.  I can tell you from personal experience that the Daiwa Tatula CT is hardy, reliable, and smooth in all facets of performance.  I'm sure the higher priced offering from Daiwa and Shimano take it to another level and you can't go wrong with either brand.

I believe the Shimano SLX to be an excellent caster, but that is information from reviews I've read, whereas the Magforce-Z braking system is the selling point of the Tatula CT and I have first-hand experience with them.  Daiwa's brakes are incredibly user friendly and prevent a large amount of overruns while still providing good casting distance.

Do you want less backlash throughout your day, or more distance?  Both qualities will probably add another fish to your tally for the year.  Both are excellent choices.

You can get a Daiwa Tatula  Ct type r on Ebay from TriaceTackle for $100, I have one and it is a magnificent reel. I much prefer to it my Curado K, and it has more control and more distance than the slx, (which I also have and use regularly).

• Like 1

it will depend on the type of braking your accustomed to magnetic or centrifugal you wont go wrong with either reel.

I'm generally a Daiwa junkie myself so naturally I would go with the Tatula CT, but both Daiwa and Shimano both make some of the best reels and braking systems available, so I don't think you can go terribly wrong with either option.

On 12/10/2018 at 8:47 PM, Joshua van Wyk said:

You can get a Daiwa Tatula  Ct type r on Ebay from TriaceTackle for $100, I have one and it is a magnificent reel. I much prefer to it my Curado K, and it has more control and more distance than the slx, (which I also have and use regularly).

I will second buying from TriaceTackle. I ave bought reels from TriaceTackle as has a friend with no issues.