Jump to content
Mccallister25

Something Iv been pondering..

Recommended Posts

Just some friendly discussion for the day, this is something Iv been thinking about lately. I’m southern born and raised. Been in the southeastern US my entire life. I grew up hunting and fishing, like all my uncles and cousins. Most of my friends also hunt and/or fish to some degree. It got me thinking the other day, why is hunting/fishing such a big part of southern culture? It seems like it’s always been a big part of life down here. Insight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you'll find that same culture in places you didn't think would have it.  I've (unfortunately) been in Illinois my entire life.  We live in a county with more than 100,000 people and nearly everyone I know and everyone I work with hunts and/or fishes and/or camps and/or offroads.  It's a fight every fall for vacation time because everyone is in their tree stands.  Illinois has the best whitetail hunting and turkey hunting in the country IMO.  We don't have a huge number of lakes but from spring until fall they are packed on weekends with fishermen.  The mentality about Illinois is that Chicago is Illinois.  That's not even close.  Once you are a 60 miles south of Chicago you are in the real Illinois.  I'm not surprised that you know so many people that hunt and fish.  I do to.  But just FYI, my wife and I are heading south in four years or less!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not from the south, born and lived in Iowa my whole life. Hunting and fishing is a big part of life for most around here, pretty sure it's not just a southern thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mccallister25 said:

Just some friendly discussion for the day, this is something Iv been thinking about lately. I’m southern born and raised. Been in the southeastern US my entire life. I grew up hunting and fishing, like all my uncles and cousins. Most of my friends also hunt and/or fish to some degree. It got me thinking the other day, why is hunting/fishing such a big part of southern culture? It seems like it’s always been a big part of life down here. Insight?

 Perhaps because they were both readily available. 

How far did you have to go to do it ?

aerial-photo-los-angeles.jpgA-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigAngus752 said:

I think you'll find that same culture in places you didn't think would have it.  I've (unfortunately) been in Illinois my entire life.  We live in a county with more than 100,000 people and nearly everyone I know and everyone I work with hunts and/or fishes and/or camps and/or offroads.  It's a fight every fall for vacation time because everyone is in their tree stands.  Illinois has the best whitetail hunting and turkey hunting in the country IMO.  We don't have a huge number of lakes but from spring until fall they are packed on weekends with fishermen.  The mentality about Illinois is that Chicago is Illinois.  That's not even close.  Once you are a 60 miles south of Chicago you are in the real Illinois.  I'm not surprised that you know so many people that hunt and fish.  I do to.  But just FYI, my wife and I are heading south in four years or less!!!

 

What part of the south do you have your eyes on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It boils down to stereotyping by the media and movies.

 

Every state has its hunters and fishermen who mind their own business and cause no problems.

 

The "elite" like to portray southerners as dummies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mccallister25 said:

 

What part of the south do you have your eyes on?

We've been visiting potential places for several years.  We've been to the Murray, KY area (Kentucky Lake), middle TN (Center Hill/Dale Hollow area), southeastern TN (Cleveland/Ocoee), and NE Georgia.  We are 90% certain that we have found where we want to be in Georgia.  Somewhere from Toccoa to Lavonia.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sam said:

It boils down to stereotyping by the media and movies.

 

Every state has its hunters and fishermen who mind their own business and cause no problems.

 

The "elite" like to portray southerners as dummies.

 

Facts

1 hour ago, BigAngus752 said:

We've been visiting potential places for several years.  We've been to the Murray, KY area (Kentucky Lake), middle TN (Center Hill/Dale Hollow area), southeastern TN (Cleveland/Ocoee), and NE Georgia.  We are 90% certain that we have found where we want to be in Georgia.  Somewhere from Toccoa to Lavonia.  

 

I hear ya! You’ll love it. Especially in GA. It’s my home away from home!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I married I fished a lot....wife was/is awesome.  Told her I was providing for the family when I went.!!!  &#@!...she says.  We don't eat fish!!!

Oh well....still use that line to same effect..although when I fish at the store and bring home the Gorton's there is no complaint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BigAngus752 

 

Hiawassee, Ga home of Lake Chatuge. Love that place. Kinda bummed Bassmaster found out about it last year. I was vacationing there during the AOY tournament. Toccoa is right around the corner!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NittyGrittyBoy said:

@BigAngus752 

 

Hiawassee, Ga home of Lake Chatuge. Love that place. Kinda bummed Bassmaster found out about it last year. I was vacationing there during the AOY tournament. Toccoa is right around the corner!

Just spent a four days there at the end of October.  I loved all the water from Ocoee down to Hartwell!    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the same thing about the south well into my 20s and it is true but....then I met one of my best friends who was from michigan. He loved to hunt and fish too ! Me and my other local friends had so much fun with his childlike love of bass fishing, and other northern stereotypes .To him, a 4 pounder was uuuuuggge, as he put it. Then he would holler for his MeechiGANDER net. He was and is a true blue friend and outdoorsman. Changed my perception some, but not completely. But By far the best outdoorsmen Ive known were southern. Of course, that was all we had growing up. Now, In Florida, that has changed... not so many people are from here anymore.

I personally think most country people ( and some in cities )anywhere do outdoor stuff. Whether it be north, south, east or west.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2018 at 1:04 PM, BigAngus752 said:

I think you'll find that same culture in places you didn't think would have it.  I've (unfortunately) been in Illinois my entire life.  We live in a county with more than 100,000 people and nearly everyone I know and everyone I work with hunts and/or fishes and/or camps and/or offroads.  It's a fight every fall for vacation time because everyone is in their tree stands.  Illinois has the best whitetail hunting and turkey hunting in the country IMO.  We don't have a huge number of lakes but from spring until fall they are packed on weekends with fishermen.  The mentality about Illinois is that Chicago is Illinois.  That's not even close.  Once you are a 60 miles south of Chicago you are in the real Illinois.  I'm not surprised that you know so many people that hunt and fish.  I do to.  But just FYI, my wife and I are heading south in four years or less!!!

WHERE in downstate Illinois do you live?  It must (might) be because I work in a white collar field but almost none of the men I know have much interest in outdoor sports.  I'm glad for you I've found the opposite to be true (Champaign/Urbana area).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×