Kenneth Chang

Do I need a weight for a wacky rig?

I wanna fish a wacky rig but I don’t think a 5 inch senko has enough weight to be casted good on a medium heavy rod and I don’t see any stores in my area that sell wacky weights.

You don’t need a weight to fish a 5” senko wacky under most circumstances. Your rod will cast it just fine.

i use a weight when wind, current or depth push me that way. I would say avoid using the weight unless this becomes a problem. Also you can order weights from just about anywhere. But in a pinch use a split shot and put it as close to the hook eye as possible. 

• Like 1

A 5 inch Senko weighs 3/8 ounce. No need for a weight. 

10 minutes ago, Kenneth Chang said:

I wanna fish a wacky rig but I don’t think a 5 inch senko has enough weight to be casted good on a medium heavy rod and I don’t see any stores in my area that sell wacky weights.

Eco Pro makes an interesting wacky weight you might like?

Nope. I like fishing them weightless. 

Kenneth, as penned above, you do not need a weight to throw a Senko wacky style.

In fact, a weight will kill the Senko's slow fall.

To be sure you are using the proper line test for your rod, look at the line test parameters on your rod, add the high and low numbers together and divide by two. That is the best test for the rod.

Make sure your reel can match the line test, too.

I throw Senkos on a medium heavy rod and it performs properly.

i like to throw senkos w/o weights unless there is a good chop on the water,

at which I'll add a weighted wacky hook.

As others have said, no need for a weight; they cast great.

A weight will definitely alter the whole fall of a senko; and usually not for the better. The senko's attraction is its shimmy on the fall.

Adding a weight will turn that presentation into a Neko rig anyway.

A long cast isn’t usually necessary unless fishing shallow, super clear water. In most cases a 20ft cast and a weightless senko will net you a fish, or several. Lob it out there and let the bait do it job. You’d be surprised at how close a bass will let you get to him before he spooks off. 

But if you insist on weight, the weighted Gamakastu wacky hook is my favorite....

You can use a Jackall weedless wacky jig or Neko rig by adding anywhere between 1/16- 1/8 oz.

Tom

6 hours ago, Kenneth Chang said:

What kind of reel/line are you using?

Just a nature of how you rig wacky style you won’t get a long distance with Senko weighted or not. Now you can buy a lot of weight type hook for Senko, which I sometimes use, weight when fish deeper water and when on kayak where I want Senko to sink faster. I use from 1/32 - 1/16 oz for stick bait type, and these I use the most.

C3EB20A6-5C97-43C3-899B-672A56AF9BF0.jpeg.0eedf5f9326b9cbab91113d8f2d53184.jpeg

B7E809EB-040F-46D7-9947-F2124EE776D8.jpeg.4d3f1b7dfac8d1cff9a06ed1406430ad.jpeg

• Like 1

Unless you  want to speed up the rate of fall, or you are fishing in heavier cover where additional weight might be needed to get through it, GYCB Senko's don't need extra weight to perform well, they are dense enough as is.

Less dense knock off's like Yum Dingers, in my exp. NEED additional weight to perform like a weight-less Senko.

Only you can decide if you need to add weight. The lakes I fish, on some the fish seem to bite weighted wacky rigs better, and on others they seem to bite weight-less better. Buy a couple packs of wacky jigs and play around with them, then you'll know if in your situation what works better.