Jump to content
Smokinal

Minn Kota iPilot questions

Recommended Posts

So I found a pretty good deal on a Power Drive V2 55lb motor with iPilot.

I had some questions to anyone who has one.

First, how do you like not having a pedal? I'm trying to imagine this setup and not sure I like it.

Second, can I mount a Garmin transducer on the bottom of the motor as I would any other motor?

 

Anything else I should know about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would only own a V2 with the Ipilot option. The foot pedal is garbage. I had the V2 Ipilot on my last boat and used the built in US2 transducer and an adapter cable for a Lowrance graph. That being said, You can use an external transducer with this motor but you will need to modify or buy the mounts for it to work for you. I've heard of guys using a coiled up air compressor hose to run the cable thru, among other things. There are a bunch of videos on youtube about modifications. Yes it can be done.   

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a V2 that I added ipilot to.  The worst part is the stow and deploy mechanism is garbage.  I now have a terrova with ipilot.  So much better and you can still use the pedal.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do get it, make sure you have extra coin batteries for the remote because you won't have a foot pedal as back up

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the info so far.

I guess I need some schooling on these things.

 

I want a motor that has spot lock, but I want a foot pedal too; and be able to mount my Garmin ducer to the bottom as usual===is there such an animal?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minn Kota Terrova has a low profile foot pedal, spot lock, and a remote. A lot more pricey than the PD model. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Scott F said:

Minn Kota Terrova has a low profile foot pedal, spot lock, and a remote. A lot more pricey than the PD model. 

Not completely true. 

In the 55lb 54" (no US2 or link)model the difference is ~$50 from Minn Kota's site. The foot pedal is not included with the terrova but is only ~$200 more, I'm assuming it can still be used on the basic model.

If you include the US2 the price gap starts to grow and even more so if you jump to higher thrust ratings.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ultrex has spot lock,  a cable controlled pedal,  and does not have lift assist so you should be able to mount an external transducer to it.  It is also the most expensive MinnKota.  Some people have found solutions to the external transducer issue for TMs with lift assist like the Terrova or Ulterra.  The same solutions should work with the PowerDrive.  Here is a video showing a third party bracket for routing the cable for an external transducer.  I have no experience with this product but it doesn't look very appealing to me.   You can search youtube for other approaches that people have taken to solve this problem.  

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's a new motor it will have AAA batteries, not the coin type.  At least my 2 year old one does.  They last a long time, but of course you want spares on board.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an ultra and use both the pedal and remote in tandem......I like that I can put the pedal where ever I want it

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan to get an ultrex... One day. I almost got the power drive with ipilot, but I decided against it.  I upgraded to a maxxum, no spot lock... But next Motor will have everything I want.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2019 at 1:18 PM, Smokinal said:

Thank you for the info so far.

I guess I need some schooling on these things.

 

I want a motor that has spot lock, but I want a foot pedal too; and be able to mount my Garmin ducer to the bottom as usual===is there such an animal?

 

There is no "as usual" with mounting an external transducer on an electric steer motor. It can be done. The issue has to do with the mechanism that causes the motor to turn, and how/where to run the cable. I have a Humminbird SI transducer on my Terrova. The cable runs down a center track in the shaft. Lowrance cables are too large of a diameter and would need to be run with some modifications. I can't answer the question about Garmin as I don't know if the cable will fit in the track or not.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, slonezp said:

There is no "as usual" with mounting an external transducer on an electric steer motor. It can be done. The issue has to do with the mechanism that causes the motor to turn, and how/where to run the cable. I have a Humminbird SI transducer on my Terrova. The cable runs down a center track in the shaft. Lowrance cables are too large of a diameter and would need to be run with some modifications. I can't answer the question about Garmin as I don't know if the cable will fit in the track or not.

Aaahhh; gotcha

I'm going to have to do some more homework on these!

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2019 at 2:13 PM, redmexican5081 said:

Not completely true. 

In the 55lb 54" (no US2 or link)model the difference is ~$50 from Minn Kota's site. The foot pedal is not included with the terrova but is only ~$200 more, I'm assuming it can still be used on the basic model.

If you include the US2 the price gap starts to grow and even more so if you jump to higher thrust ratings.

I do not think it can.  I know last years models were not able to as I had to upgrade to the Terrova myself for both options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Terrova came with the remote and the peddle. There was no extra charge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...