Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just curious if anyone has upgraded these reels? They're slick out of the box but I'd like to upgrade the main shaft bushing with a bearing like everyone was doin with the citica e reels etc. Searched and haven't seen anyone talk about it yet but I'm sure it's coming.  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Measure the bushing inside and out then find the matching bearing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The regular size main shaft bearing that you found on a lot of Shimano’s won’t fit in SLX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if replacing the main shalf bushing with a bearing would be an upgrade or not. You'll never notice the difference.

I think a 90mm carbon fiber handle would be my first upgrade. It would lighten up the reel slightly and look cooler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the handle that's on em but thanks for the suggestion.  I dont think it will "feel" better but it will feel more free for lack if a better word. Just figured if anyone has a bearing size it would be a cheap thing to try and if it didnt help I'm not out much. I dont have calipers or anything to measure it with or I'd be doing that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you use quality bearings you will notice a difference with every bearing you add or upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another option for you is to search for schematic of SLX MGL or SLX XT those two come with main-shaft bearing. If they are the same bearing as in Curado, you might be out of luck, meaning Shimano modifies SLX frame to fit regular bearing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would just let it be.  You would need a special tool to remove the bushing and add the bearing.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2019 at 1:01 PM, Shimano_1 said:

Just curious if anyone has upgraded these reels? They're slick out of the box but I'd like to upgrade the main shaft bushing with a bearing like everyone was doin with the citica e reels etc. Searched and haven't seen anyone talk about it yet but I'm sure it's coming.  Thanks

The bearing you need is BNT0031 , it's a 5x9x3 mm. I'd recommend stainless steel , as moisture can sometimes get to that bearing. You won't need a special tool , just a small screw driver set or pick to remove the c-clip on the bushing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, johnD. said:

The bearing you need is BNT0031 , it's a 5x9x3 mm. I'd recommend stainless steel , as moisture can sometimes get to that bearing. You won't need a special tool , just a small screw driver set or pick to remove the c-clip on the bushing.

Are you sure that would fit? It driveshaft bearing for old 200i and 50e which also same dimension as Curado 70 bearing bnt4194.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well...I reached out to DVT and asked about bearing size.  I want to upgrade but dont wanna order the wrong size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Shimano_1 said:

Well...I reached out to DVT and asked about bearing size.  I want to upgrade but dont wanna order the wrong size.

Update your post here please, I also might wanna swap out bushing for bearing on SLX. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JustJames said:

Are you sure that would fit? It driveshaft bearing for old 200i and 50e which also same dimension as Curado 70 bearing bnt4194.

100% sure it will fit. I have a slx xt , that is the part # given ( BNT0031) in the schematic for the drive shaft bearing that sits in the frame.

 

$5.98 for a stainless one. free shipping, ebay seller trbrcbearing .

 

BNT 4194 is a Shimano ARB bearing

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, johnD. said:

100% sure it will fit. I have a slx xt , that is the part # given ( BNT0031) in the schematic for the drive shaft bearing that sits in the frame.

 

$5.98 for a stainless one. free shipping, ebay seller trbrcbearing .

 

BNT 4194 is a Shimano ARB bearing

Awesome! I'll order a couple and try it out. I have 4 of these reels and they're already great. Cant hurt to try! Thanks a bunch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Shimano_1 said:

Awesome! I'll order a couple and try it out. I have 4 of these reels and they're already great. Cant hurt to try! Thanks a bunch!

cheaper to order 10.

idk if we can post ebay links but , here goes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRB-RC-10-5x9x3mm-Precision-Stainless-Steel-Ball-Bearings-Fishing-Reels/162539314151?hash=item25d8191be7:g:HzIAAOSwUDZcge~D:sc:USPSFirstClass!33801!US!-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again I'll definitely give those a try! Will report back when i have some results! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both of those part numbers are 5x9x3 bearings. I'm gonna try one and see what happens.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BNT0031

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here after all said and done.

 

Ill wait until I open up one of my 50e or 200i and compare both 0031 and 4194.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JustJames said:

Here after all said and done.

 

Ill wait until I open up one of my 50e or 200i and compare both 0031 and 4194.

You will find both are the same size. Difference being the 4194 is a S-ARB bearing.

It's also wise to measure all the way across the bearing in the middle of the caliper , not the side of the bearing with the tips of the caliper. Tight lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is update for you, the bearing does work and catch fish lol.

1D377FB4-BF7B-42B4-90FD-2C6874816DC6.thumb.jpeg.2685035b0784839c5f5d39d8e51ae9aa.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JustJames said:

Here is update for you, the bearing does work and catch fish lol.

1D377FB4-BF7B-42B4-90FD-2C6874816DC6.thumb.jpeg.2685035b0784839c5f5d39d8e51ae9aa.jpeg

Careful man, that's a Shimano reel on a Daiwa rod! 😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right lol. Need that slx rod to put it on! Nice fish tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...