Has anyone noticed the amount of sloppy clearance in the drive side reel plate where the outer anti reverse bearing mounts, and the inner race or sleeve has to much clearance on the shaft. This allows  the reel handle to move backwards when you stop cranking. Now I have my share of older baitcasters of all brands and I expect this out of them. This was before anti-reverse bearings were used. I have two KastKing reels, the  Royal legend  And the  Speed demon pro which I love everything about Except this pet peeve of mine, “sloppy clearance ” in the anti reverse bearing. Come on KastKing, let’s go  forward with  innovation. It would not cost anymore to design that housing to have tight  tolerances just like the  competitors have, they are rock solid with tight tolerances. I have spoken to KastKing about this. I did not get a good response. So if any of you out there have these models, see if your reel does the same thing, if they do call KastKing and voice your  opinion. Thanks for  listening , “Rick of Chattanooga’’

Man that first sentence made me go cross-eyed trying to read it. 

Do you mean they're turning backwards a significant ways or are you able to just feel it bump backwards very slightly? There's some higher end reels pretty well known for their backwards handle play as well. 

• Haha 1

Yes, just a slight bump backwards. This could easily be fixed by KastKing. It doesn’t cost any more to make the side plate with tighter  tolerances. The outer housing of the anti reverse bearing fits into that side plate. The bearing will rock back and forth, just a pet peeve of mine. The high end reels like Shimano and Daiwa that I have are rock solid, when you turn the handle and stop they do not back up any. I guess it’s just the difference in  Chinese made reels  versus Japanese. Other than this problem KastKing reels and rods seem to be fine,  especially for the money. Rick1957. 

11 minutes ago, Rick1957 said:

Yes, just a slight bump backwards. This could easily be fixed by KastKing. It doesn’t cost any more to make the side plate with tighter  tolerances. The outer housing of the anti reverse bearing fits into that side plate. The bearing will rock back and forth, just a pet peeve of mine. The high end reels like Shimano and Daiwa that I have are rock solid, when you turn the handle and stop they do not back up any. I guess it’s just the difference in  Chinese made reels  versus Japanese. Other than this problem KastKing reels and rods seem to be fine,  especially for the money. Rick1957. 

Shimanos are pretty well known for having slight backplay in their handles in some of their models, but you're comparing higher end reels to lower end reels and their tolerances. A lot of what you pay for with higher end reels, other than quality components, is that refined feeling and tighter tolerances that make them feel and function so nicely. I haven't noticed it with any of my KK reels, I'm sure it might be there, but not enough it's bothered me. Something that bugs one person is no big deal to the next though. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Shimanos are pretty well known for having slight backplay in their handles in some of their models, but you're comparing higher end reels to lower end reels and their tolerances. A lot of what you pay for with higher end reels, other than quality components, is that refined feeling and tighter tolerances that make them feel and function so nicely. I haven't noticed it with any of my KK reels, I'm sure it might be there, but not enough it's bothered me. Something that bugs one person is no big deal to the next though. 

Yea my 13 Fishing Concept A always had a little play in the handles and plates, but it outcasted my other reels if I wanted it to so it was never a big deal to me. Only time I'd worry about tolerances as a "must have" vs "nice to have" in a reel would be the mechanical components which might start to wear. 

Shimano has Improved so much on there mid to low end reels. I purchased the SLX combo from Tackle Direct for $159.00 it’s One of the best casting and light weight, reel and rod I’ve ever had. Feel and  tolerances are  excellent on this reel. I paid less for this combo than I did for the KastKing Speed Demon Pro combo. I highly recommend the Shimano for the money. 

I got 2 kastkings...one quit working after 2 short adventures - the thumb "bar" quit disengaging after casting.  I tore it down and tightened the reel up with a washer but it still doesn't always like to engage after casting.  So that one sits in the dark corner on a shelf.  

The second one lasted 1 outting and will not stop squeaking...I have torn it apart and oiled it, sprayed it with reel magic and lubed it but it still squeaks...so that one works but I won't use it again either.

I feel duped by these reels as everyone was posting videos and reviews touting these cheap but high quality reels - as it turns out these were all "sponsored" reviews they got from giving out free stuff to anglers.  And forget returning it because that is more a pain in the butt than anything. 

The Kastking rods I bought though are pretty nice.  I like those a lot for the price...

I would also like to add I have never had a reel you can feel flex when hung up or fighting a fish...that bothered me a lot.  

13 hours ago, JediAmoeba said:

I got 2 kastkings...one quit working after 2 short adventures - the thumb "bar" quit disengaging after casting.  I tore it down and tightened the reel up with a washer but it still doesn't always like to engage after casting.  So that one sits in the dark corner on a shelf.  

The second one lasted 1 outting and will not stop squeaking...I have torn it apart and oiled it, sprayed it with reel magic and lubed it but it still squeaks...so that one works but I won't use it again either.

I feel duped by these reels as everyone was posting videos and reviews touting these cheap but high quality reels - as it turns out these were all "sponsored" reviews they got from giving out free stuff to anglers.  And forget returning it because that is more a pain in the butt than anything. 

The Kastking rods I bought though are pretty nice.  I like those a lot for the price...

I would also like to add I have never had a reel you can feel flex when hung up or fighting a fish...that bothered me a lot.  

Tons of people out there that like their reels that aren't sponsored by KK. Refusing to use a companies warranty and customer service just because you think it's "A pain in the butt", is silly. I've had to go through the CS twice, once for a Sharky III that had a weak bail spring and once for a Speed Demon Pro rod that got broken in the mail 2 times, by no fault of theirs. The reel was a super easy process, told them what was going on, they gave me the option to get a new bail spring and replace it or get a new reel. I opted to get a new reel. They sent a new one with return shipping, I sent the old one back. Whole process took less than a week. The postal service kept breaking the rod during shipping in a heavy cardboard rod tube. I've received dozens of different rods in tubes like that, this is the first time I can remember getting one where the tube was bent in half like it was each time. They stayed in contact with me, kept me up to date on what was going on, and both times I received a broken rod they were quick to get another one in the mail headed my way. The postal service got an F out of the deal, but KK's CS got an A+ and I would not hesitate to use them again. 

The reels are affordable and very serviceable. I'm not going to say they're better than the higher end reels like some of those videos do I'm sure, because they're not, but they don't carry near the price tag either. I was skeptical at first when I gave one a try. I went straight out and torture tested it, an Assassin. Thought I'd kill the thing the first trip for sure. Nearly 2 hours straight in winter conditions catching hard pulling wipers almost every cast until my shoulders, back, and forearms couldn't take it anymore, horsing them as hard as my rod and line would allow. It's coming up on 3 years ago now and that reel is still in my regular rotation and still going strong, along with several more KK reels because I was so impressed with that reel's performance, and I'm not sponsored by them. 

• Like 2