Jump to content
GeekFisher

Any guys 3D printing fishing stuff ?

Recommended Posts

I bought a 3D printer two years ago (Monoprice Select Mini v2) and I use it to print some fishing related-stuff that was either inexistant or too expensive... I designed some of these stuff as well and modified other designs from Thingiverse. Most of my designs are made in... Tinkercad ! 🤣

 

I think I will open source my stuff when I'm done and satisfied with the field testing.

 

I'm pretty sure some there are some other geeks out there that do that, so please manifest yourself ;) Let's share ideas too !

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For older Minn Kota trolling motors with Copilot, they used to have a small remote that you could mount to a fishing rod. See picture below. They stopped making the holder and changed the design of the remote on the newer models.  You can't find these things anywhere and if you do they are going for over $10 a piece.  It's literally a 25 cent piece of plastic, probably less.

 

I was thinking you could 3D print these, but i don't know much about 3D printing or how tight the tolerances are.  It would need to be pretty precise in order to hold the remote properly.

 

image.png.8745d32e654ef0b1933e723d73bfdb48.pngimage.png.8a79fbf46781dcf0707cf18850c0a9d5.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i could use a couple of these remotes where can you get them for 10 dollars

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, James Janousek said:

For older Minn Kota trolling motors with Copilot, they used to have a small remote that you could mount to a fishing rod. See picture below. They stopped making the holder and changed the design of the remote on the newer models.  You can't find these things anywhere and if you do they are going for over $10 a piece.  It's literally a 25 cent piece of plastic, probably less.

 

I was thinking you could 3D print these, but i don't know much about 3D printing or how tight the tolerances are.  It would need to be pretty precise in order to hold the remote properly.

 

image.png.8745d32e654ef0b1933e723d73bfdb48.pngimage.png.8a79fbf46781dcf0707cf18850c0a9d5.png

I am honestly not able to design this but likely some other guy can ! As for tolerances, mine is 0.5mm precise but thin stuff is hard to do...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After getting his 4 year degree, my son went on to get a 1 year certificate in 3D Printing at a trade school.  He now works for Stratasys, a top manufacturer of 3D printers.  I’ve often told him we should figure out some great fishing products and he could design the printer to make everything.  Just haven’t thought of the right product/opportunity yet...

 

...Wait, I know - maybe he could make a Pocket Fisherman or new fangled Banjo Minnow..!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, FryDog62 said:

 He now works for Stratasys, a top manufacturer of 3D printers.

I worked for them for a while back in the mid 2000's. Good company, good people working there...it was a temp job.

 

For anyone who saw the Tonight Show with Jay Leno...the one where he showed off the 3-D printer he used to make parts for his cars...that was a Stratasys printer.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stratasys seems like they make state-of-the-art machines !

 

I 3D printed:

-10mm 🔧 for handle nuts (no more scratches)

-thru scupper transducer mounting bracket

-Scotty-compatible Helix 5 gimbal mount

-Casting practice weights

-kayak tracks and gearhead adapters

-Rod tube cradle

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_20180415_115223.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all the technology I use, this is the one thing I have never had interest in. The sad part? These are readily available for me at work (free for anyone actually) including the spools but never had a need for them.

 

I don't use a ton of hard baits and I am skeptical about how the hooks stay on the bait as I don't think screw eyes will hold up.

 

Anything you want to share? Not looking for diagrams, but more of what types of baits you use 3d printing for.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HenryPF said:

Anything you want to share? Not looking for diagrams, but more of what types of baits you use 3d printing for.

I don't really print lures. You can see above the transducer bracket top part. Here is underneath:

 

IMG_20180415_115045.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeekFisher said:

I don't really print lures. You can see above the transducer bracket top part. Here is underneath:

 

IMG_20180415_115045.jpg

Uh, I think that's been used before it was removed.  LOL😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, moguy1973 said:

Uh, I think that's been used before it was removed.  LOL😁

It was removed right before first use!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait to see your designs.  I built a Prusa i3 clone a few years back and printed some lures off of Thingiverse but none of them really performed well.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, redmeansdistortion said:

I can't wait to see your designs.  I built a Prusa i3 clone a few years back and printed some lures off of Thingiverse but none of them really performed well.  

Lures are not, IMHO, the most interesting fishing-related thing to design/print. I'd post more pictures but file size policy prevent me doing it easily...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GeekFisher said:

Lures are not, IMHO, the most interesting fishing-related thing to design/print. I'd post more pictures but file size policy prevent me doing it easily...

Please take no offense...because, truly, none is intended....but I can't help literally laughing out loud...that a self described geek starting a thread about cutting edge personal tech...has difficulty posting pictures to a fishing interweb forum...

 

btw, I use "Photo and Picture Resizer" app on my phone....and whatever free image hosting site google search offers, if on a pc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Choporoz said:

btw, I use "Photo and Picture Resizer" app on my phone....and whatever free image hosting site google search offers, if on a pc

I use that app too.  Super easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Choporoz said:

Please take no offense...because, truly, none is intended....but I can't help literally laughing out loud...that a self described geek starting a thread about cutting edge personal tech...has difficulty posting pictures to a fishing interweb forum...

 

btw, I use "Photo and Picture Resizer" app on my phone....and whatever free image hosting site google search offers, if on a pc

Laughing is good for your health so keep on!

 

I know about image resizers but it still takes more time, it would be nice to integrate auto-resize on the forum... I will not post my images to online hosting site, been burned bad by Photobucket...

 

Here is the wrench:

 

IMG_10072019_214709_(2500_x_1875_pixel).jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3D printing parts require skills to make computer models, a high end computer skill unless you use someone's else's models. The materials availble forc3D printing models are limited andxI can't imagine this becoming mainstreamed any time soon.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top part of the transducer bracket. Slot is for the wire and hole for the 1/4 bolt with the knobbed nut.

IMG_11072019_080917_(1500_x_2000_pixel).jpg

IMG_11072019_080849_(1800_x_2400_pixel).jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, GeekFisher said:

It was removed right before first use!

Oh I see it now.  The plastic on the edges makes it look like it's been used a lot and is all ground down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Idea for you (no use for me), but I know some members on here want/use the plugs for their boat pedestal bases.

 

I am sure they don't use $10 worth of plastic which was the cheapest one I found.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick release gimbal knobs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HenryPF said:

Idea for you (no use for me), but I know some members on here want/use the plugs for their boat pedestal bases.

 

I am sure they don't use $10 worth of plastic which was the cheapest one I found.

Plugs ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 2:55 PM, James Janousek said:

For older Minn Kota trolling motors with Copilot, they used to have a small remote that you could mount to a fishing rod. See picture below. They stopped making the holder and changed the design of the remote on the newer models.  You can't find these things anywhere and if you do they are going for over $10 a piece.  It's literally a 25 cent piece of plastic, probably less.

 

I was thinking you could 3D print these, but i don't know much about 3D printing or how tight the tolerances are.  It would need to be pretty precise in order to hold the remote properly.

 

image.png.8745d32e654ef0b1933e723d73bfdb48.pngimage.png.8a79fbf46781dcf0707cf18850c0a9d5.png

It's not just the designing that's the issue. Injection molded production parts have much different properties than something you would 3D print. That snap fit feature for example would likely break pretty quickly if it was 3D printed because it uses layers of material that can break easier than one solid molded piece. 

 

I think the biggest potential use of hobbyist 3D printing would be making molds for soft plastics. 

 

The only thing ive 3D printed for fishing related stuff was a wrench for those Thule knobs on a kayak rack. I can post pictures later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...