So my shallow water boat is one that my grandpa gave me, a Cherokee aluminum 1957 model. I've always known this boat was as tough as nails, but I had no idea how truly tough it is. The wood in the transom has been rotten for about a decade but I just keep on fishing because there's no flex back there and it looks like a giant pain to replace the wood (I've replaced transoms before but the metal reinforcements on this boat are crazy strong). I saw on another forum where a guy had just replaced the transom on a crestliner deep v with 115 horsepower and I jokingly posted that he should help me with mine next. Sure enough he sent me a PM and said bring it over. He starts cutting the heads off these rivets and trying to pound them out and drill them out. 1.5 hours later we haven't got the first one to move more than a millimeter and there's 30-40 of them back there holding it together. He makes a comment that he has never seen rivets like that and asks me how many have come out since 1957. I answered one and he was completely shocked. He said his 90s bass tracker has lost a dozen or more. He says this must be the rivets that hold airplanes together. So I snap a pic and send it to my buddy in the air Force and he says "oh yeah those are cherry Max structure rivets and they are a huge PITA. They are on the planes I'm working on right now." Confirmed: my boat is as strong as an airplane. I also talked to an old timer that said a lot of companies that built planes in WWII switched to building boats after the war. Transom rebuild might get finished by 2022........ You can't even disassemble this boat with angle grinder dremmel metal punches and titanium drill bits.......

Also: the original floatation is 100 percent intact under all 3 bench seats. This boat used to sit tied up to our dock 24/7 and was always full of rain. When I was a kid I would bail it out about halfway then start fishing. The phrase "they don't make them like they used to" is an understatement in this case 

So my next thought is try a smaller drill bit and just work on it for days and days. They aren't cupped so the bit kept jumping off. Any suggestions??

IMG-3674.jpg

IMG-3676.jpg

IMG-2992.jpg

IMG-2998.jpg

IMG-2999.jpg

• Like 1

Chisel the wood out around the rivets then use a sawzall with a construction blade. 

24 minutes ago, Hower08 said:

Chisel the wood out around the rivets then use a sawzall with a construction blade. 

Another option is a cutting wheel on your hand drill. This is what I used to cut 1/4-20 bolts flush after installing them to mount my rod rack on my canoe.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Forney-3-in-x-1-32-in-x-1-4-in-Shank-Mandrel-Cut-Off-Wheel-Kit-5-Piece-71798/206428562

We cut the heads off easily with angle grinder but they won't knock out . The second picture down is the rivets after we chiseled the wood away and cut the heads off

Follow this procedure to remove cherrymax rivets. www.cherryaerospace.com/product/video/rivetremoval

You need remove the locking device with a drill.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fishstalker001 said:

Follow this procedure to remove cherrymax rivets. www.cherryaerospace.com/product/video/rivetremoval

You need remove the locking device with a drill.

Awesome man! Thanks. We knew they were locked in somehow