Mottel

Exposed Hooks in a Weed Filled Lake?

So there's this small pond I fish at all the time, and catch some decent sized bass there. The problem is the ground is covered in weeds and there are several fallen branches with one large fallen tree. I therefore stick to weedless lures like the Texas rig. However I've been wanting to use jerkbaits there and other lures with exposed hooks but my lure will get snagged in a second. Should I just stick to the Texas rig? 

Any advice? 

Or jigs, or frogs.

• Like 1

Weightless fluke is a jerkbait silhouette bait that can be rigged weedless and successfully fished in your situation.

oe

• Like 4

Chatterbait may be another option.  They come through vegetation fairly well.

I use chatterbaits or spinnerbaits through weeds with little pickup. Weedless swimjig is another option.

You can try taking off the trebles and using a siwash hook on the rear hanger. Lot less chance of hanging up and you will still hook your fish

In addition to Texas rigging plastic worms, I also use small profile Spinnerbaits,  flukes, and frogs for this type of situation. 

A shallow running crankbait or wakebait could be an option depending on how deep the tree branches are.

Why would the ground being covered with weed bother you, the live in the water. You mean the waters surface is covered with weeds or partially covered? Trees laying in the water are lay downs and good bas cover.

Exposed hook points will snag everything in the water so be prepared to hang up lures and lose them if you can't pull them free or pull in the snag when shore fishing.

Hollow body frog is effective as weedless surface lure. Buzz bait works good. Several soft weedless swimbaits should work, 3:16 Mission fish for example. Lots of choices.

Tom