Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just trying to get some suggestions on what you guys are using for a finesse type rod and reel? Want to try and start using worm and creature baits more as my topwater baits have been extremely quiet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, browne762 said:

What is your budget? 

$150-$200

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spinning or casting?

Also what is your idea of finesse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definition of Finesse

Finesse presentations are for fish that, for whatever reason (seasonal pattern, lack of forage, etc.), are in the mood to eat. Unlike power fishing where you are trying to excite them into biting a bait, with finesse fishing you are trying to convince them that the bait is actually food.😀

 

I am using a Dobyns FR702SF with 10#braid and 8# FC leader. This is my NED setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrpao said:

Spinning or casting?

Also what is your idea of finesse?

Spinning. Finesse as in worms and/or creature baits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the 150-200 include the reels too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of good $100 ~ $150 6'10" ~ 7' M Extra fast spinning rods for drop shot , shaky head or Ned Rig applications available from TW  . Combine with a 2500 or 3000 series spinning reel , braid + leader line of your choice (FC , co-poly) and you have a number of fun finesse options !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7' medium power, extra-fast action spinning rod

 

oe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd get a Shimano Nasci, 3000 size, so I have burned off about $100 for the reel.

 

Then, St. Croix has a Triumph TRS70MF (7'0", Medium power, fast tip) for another $100.

 

$200.

 

Brad

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rods:  Fenwick HMG, Okuma TCS (from ebay), Tatula XT, some Ark rods have been getting good reviews, so maybe a Lancer

 

Reels: Pflueger President, Daiwa makes several that would fit your budget.  The BG would be towards the high end, but can be found for less on ebay.  Built like a little tank.  I haven't used an Okuma spinning reel, but have a couple of their baitcast models.  Good reels for the money.

 

Any of these combos should make you budget.  Well...a TCS/BG would require some looking and waiting for the right price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NHBull said:

Does the 150-200 include the reels too?

$250 max for reel and rod. There’s so many to pick from... it’s overwhelming 

28 minutes ago, new2BC4bass said:

Rods:  Fenwick HMG, Okuma TCS (from ebay), Tatula XT, some Ark rods have been getting good reviews, so maybe a Lancer

 

Reels: Pflueger President, Daiwa makes several that would fit your budget.  The BG would be towards the high end, but can be found for less on ebay.  Built like a little tank.  I haven't used an Okuma spinning reel, but have a couple of their baitcast models.  Good reels for the money.

 

Any of these combos should make you budget.  Well...a TCS/BG would require some looking and waiting for the right price.

So many... lmao. 😱

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, wade_son said:

$250 max for reel and rod. There’s so many to pick from... it’s overwhelming 

So many... lmao. 😱

That's my problem.  Lotta options .  Thin bank account.  :cry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How light do you want to go? I just suggested this to someone else on here earlier today -- I recently got a 13 fishing omen green spinning rod, 7'2 ML, for around $120-125. Paired with a Shimano Sahara 2500 for around $80 (you could get a president or one of the other reels people are recommending, I honestly can't tell them apart).

 

But this has been great for 1/16-3/16 oz t rigs and drop shots with small plastics. Good sensitivity for bottom baits and feels great in my hands, really comfortable and balanced. I was looking at this one and the St Croix, this one felt like it had more backbone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ike8120 said:

Definition of Finesse

Finesse presentations are for fish that, for whatever reason (seasonal pattern, lack of forage, etc.), are in the mood to eat. Unlike power fishing where you are trying to excite them into biting a bait, with finesse fishing you are trying to convince them that the bait is actually food.😀

 

I am using a Dobyns FR702SF with 10#braid and 8# FC leader. This is my NED setup.

Where did you come up with the above finesse definition?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WRB said:

Where did you come up with the above finesse definition?

Google searched it - comes directly from Berkley's site.

 

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/Berkley-ae-power-vs-finesse.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, WRB said:

Where did you come up with the above finesse definition?

It's written on the internet, it must be the truth...

 

oe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flipping a jig n pig with 80 lb braid replicating a crawdad as food is now finesse fishing and casting a 1/8 oz inline spinner on 6 lb mono is power fishing. 10" Hudd soft rainbow trout using 8' rod and 30 lb Copoly line is what....a finesse presentation.

Put a fork in it, we are done!

Tom

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did a search on finesse fishing, that is what came up . The internet doesn't lie LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...