Jump to content

Opinions on 99 javelin renegade 20 vs 96 bass cat pantera 2


Recommended Posts

I’ve been looking at buying a new to me boat. Got a couple choices in mind but I have no previous experience with any of them. First choice is a 99 javelin renegade 20 with a 225 merc, second choice is a 96 basscat pantera 2 with a 200 merc. Both are in comparable condition, both seem really well cared for. Both are tandem axle trailer, which I feel is a must. Both are equally rigged as far electronics and trolling motor. What would be your pick and why? I primarily fish in Oklahoma which seems to always be windy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

So if it were me I'd pick the Basscat. Proven boat, still make it, and I've seen that boat take rough conditions. I run an older champion,  but if I ever buy a new boat it would be a Basscat.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I would take the Bass Cat.  I have spent many hours in a Panterra II they ride and fish well.  You might also be able to get parts for the Bass Cat since they are still in business.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Are the engines original, hours? Jack plates with hot foot? 

Look at the transom for stress cracks and have a mechanic check the engines compression and condition. Look for bolts that the paint has been chipped to indicate it’s been taken apart. Prop is stainless without any damage. 

Trailer brakes and wheels, tires should older then 8 year. Look for any rust on the trailer.

Everything being equal the BassCat is a solid hand built hull vs Javelin production line hull that is lighter weight not dry ride. My concern is more about the OB condition.

Both are EFI and different displacement 2.5L, 200 and 3.0L 225. The design changed in 1996 as I recall.

Tom

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Alan Stinson was not only the founder of Nitro Boats, which he sold off to Bass Pro Shops, but he was the designer of the well known Skeeter Starfire, & the world record holding Stratos 201 hulls. He has designed every hull Javelin Boats.

 

Javelin was a stripped down version of Stratos.

 

The Pantera II is the most manufactured boat model in bass fishing. 

 

I would choose the Pantera II but wouldn't be afraid of the Javelin.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WRB said:

AAre the engines original, hours? Jack plates with hot foot? 

Look at the transom for stress cracks and have a mechanic check the engines compression and condition. Look for bolts that the paint has been chipped to indicate it’s been taken apart. Prop is stainless without any damage. 

Trailer brakes and wheels, tires should older then 8 year. Look for any rust on the trailer.

Everything being equal the BassCat is a solid hand built hull vs Javelin production line hull that is lighter weight not dry ride. My concern is more about the OB condition.

Both are EFI and different displacement 2.5L, 200 and 3.0L 225. The design changed in 1996 as I recall.

Tom

 

Thank you for the input. I have not checked the hours on either. I intended to take a compression tester and check when I went to look at each boat as well the condition on trailer tires

1 hour ago, Catt said:

Alan Stinson was not only the founder of Nitro Boats, which he sold off to Bass Pro Shops, but he was the designer of the well known Skeeter Starfire, & the world record holding Stratos 201 hulls. He has designed every hull Javelin Boats.

 

Javelin was a stripped down version of Stratos.

 

The Pantera II is the most manufactured boat model in bass fishing. 

 

I would choose the Pantera II but wouldn't be afraid of the Javelin.

I did not that about the hulls being made by Stinson. I know the 409 hull is a very sought after piece and people rave about them. I’m leaning towards the bass cat honestly just because of the quality that bass cat puts out

3 minutes ago, Anthony Watson said:

Thank you for the input. I have not checked the hours on either. I intended to take a compression tester and check when I went to look at each boat as well the condition on trailer tires

I did not know that about the hulls being made by Stinson. I know the 409 hull is a very sought after piece and people rave about them. I’m leaning towards the bass cat honestly just because of the quality that bass cat puts out

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I sold my Renegade 20DC last year after close to 15 years of owning it.  It had the 225 Ficht and I loved the boat.  Road good, took rough water very well, and was rather fast.  It ran in the low 70's with two 200+ guys and gear with the 225 Ficht, and 83 with a 3.0 modified Johson (326 Hp). Can't say there is another boat I could wish I had instead of it.  As for one being in production vs another means absolutely nothing with boats that age.  You can pretty much bet no manufacture still has parts or any kind of support for them. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Way2slow said:

I sold my Renegade 20DC last year after close to 15 years of owning it.  It had the 225 Ficht and I loved the boat.  Road good, took rough water very well, and was rather fast.  It ran in the low 70's with two 200+ guys and gear with the 225 Ficht, and 83 with a 3.0 modified Johson (326 Hp). Can't say there is another boat I could wish I had instead of it.  As for one being in production vs another means absolutely nothing with boats that age.  You can pretty much bet no manufacture still has parts or any kind of support for them. 

Good to hear. I haven’t heard anything bad about the javelin from previous owners. Only complaint I see is the front deck is a little small. Everyone seems to love how big the back deck is though. 

Just now, Anthony Watson said:

Good to hear. I haven’t heard anything bad about the javelin from previous owners. Only complaint I see is the front deck is a little small. Everyone seems to love how big the back deck is though. 

I had actually read some of your threads on here about yours and how much you had liked it. It’s one thing that even made me consider it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

The only reason I sold it is I'm 75, mostly had to go by myself, and it was a 250-mile round trip to the lake I liked to fish and cost me close to $200 in gas each trip, 2500HD only got 9-10 mpg towing it.  It was sitting a year at the time, at times.  I just decided my jon boat would be good enough for what little I was fishing and I could tow it with my 93 4WD Toyota.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Way2slow said:

The only reason I sold it is I'm 75, mostly had to go by myself, and it was a 250-mile round trip to the lake I liked to fish and cost me close to $200 in gas each trip, 2500HD only got 9-10 mpg towing it.  It was sitting a year at the time, at times.  I just decided my jon boat would be good enough for what little I was fishing and I could tow it with my 93 4WD Toyota.

Understand that 100%. I’m lucky enough to live in state where we have multiple decent lake within a couple hour drive 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update….I bought a 98 bass cat pantera 2. Bought it for $9000. It’s in great condition and has 248 hours on the motor. It all checks out with 120 psi per cylinder 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Anthony Watson said:

Update….I bought a 98 bass cat pantera 2. Bought it for $9000. It’s in great condition and has 248 hours on the motor. It all checks out with 120 psi per cylinder 

Nice! Let’s see some pics now. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


  • fishing forum

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...