Jump to content

Club tournament pay out percentages


clh121787

Recommended Posts

What’s a good pay out formula  for a local tournament 100% payout 1 spot paid for every five entries. 30$ buy in. How would the pay percentage adjust for every additional paid place. 
example 

100% for 1 paid place (bad turn out)

70/30 for 2 paid places (10-14 entries)

60/40/20 for 3 paid places (15-19 entries) 

Etc. does anyone have a good proven method ? 

I’m gonna start putting on a working man’s and want something that’s fair and that works. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the number of boats is that variable, then adjusting for # of entries make sense.  Paying 1 place per 5-7 boats is what I've seen the most. You didn't mention a lunker pot...Can either take a buck or two from each entry and hold that as the lunker pot or have a separate buy in for lunker.  I prefer holding a small amount from each entry so that it's consistent tournament to tournament and not dependent on people buying in...But both methods are common.  

 

We have a pretty consistent 15-20+ boats so we have a fixed 3 places paid, 50/30/20 on the percentage.  We take $2 from each entry for the tournament lunker pot and another $2 from each for the year-end classic pot, so the placement payout is 50/30/20 of the pot after those deductions.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2023 at 7:57 AM, Logan S said:

If the number of boats is that variable, then adjusting for # of entries make sense.  Paying 1 place per 5-7 boats is what I've seen the most. You didn't mention a lunker pot...Can either take a buck or two from each entry and hold that as the lunker pot or have a separate buy in for lunker.  I prefer holding a small amount from each entry so that it's consistent tournament to tournament and not dependent on people buying in...But both methods are common.  

 

We have a pretty consistent 15-20+ boats so we have a fixed 3 places paid, 50/30/20 on the percentage.  We take $2 from each entry for the tournament lunker pot and another $2 from each for the year-end classic pot, so the placement payout is 50/30/20 of the pot after those deductions.  

We’ll do optional big bass 10$ buy in. What scales does your club use ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, clh121787 said:

We’ll do optional big bass 10$ buy in. What scales does your club use ? 

We have a basic tabletop scale we got from BPS that's works well.  We've also used handheld scales too.  Any modern digital scale, tabletop or handheld, will do the job for this type of event.  

 

The only one I would stay away from is the Brecknell handhelds that you see MLF use...They are probably the worst scale we've ever used for weighing fish (and we've used a bunch). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting I have a brecknell (not the mlf badged one just the og I guess) and it’s been accurate on the money for the last 5 years. But I baby it and don’t let it get wet. I just ordered my tournament scales. Should be in soon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Super User

Club I used to fish paid out 90% at the ramp by entrants. Payout was 1 place for every 6 entrants and 10% administrative. 

 

Start at 60% for 1st and figure it out from there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

We switched ours up a few years ago since our club had kept growing. Originally we payed the top 3 or 4 places depending on how many showed up. We had some issues on days with poor weather conditions, late season tournaments for teams not doing well, or some just not showing up if they didn't think they could win after prefishing. All of these situations left less money on the table for those that did show up or tough it out. The solution that was proposed was that switch our club to prepay for all 6 tournaments up front. In addition we spread the money out further down into the standings to give teams a greater chance to at least get something out of the day. Our payouts are based off a roughly 95% payback the additional money along with club dues going to the club to cover expenses and improvements. The below is based off of our capped 30 boat field.  

 

Place Prize      %
1 730 32%
2 380 17%
3 220 10%
4 186 8%
5 130 6%
6 110 5.5%
7 105 5%
8 100 4.5%
9 95 4%
10 90 3.5%
BB 300 100%
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Super User

California regulates fishing tournaments/derbies making it difficult to have simple club events in lieu of sanctioned events with prize money.

Most “clubs” opt for points and schedule TOC with money awards.

Tom

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, WRB said:

California regulates fishing tournaments/derbies making it difficult to have simple club events in lieu of sanctioned events with prize money.

Most “clubs” opt for points and schedule TOC with money awards.

Tom

 

That don’t even scratch the surface for that god forsaken place. Hence the mass exodus. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



  • Outboard Engine

    Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.