Ethanol free gas vs. Regular with 10% Ethanol

9 minutes ago, slonezp said:

25gph? Where did you get that number? Most outboards average 3-5gph at WOT

Not the big ones !!  My auto mechanic is a competition bass guy, his big 250 hp 4 stroke uses over 20 gal on at wot. Drop it back to 3/4 throttle and it cuts that in half, but at WOT, they suck fuel !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airshot said:

Not the big ones !!  My auto mechanic is a competition bass guy, his big 250 hp 4 stroke uses over 20 gal on at wot. Drop it back to 3/4 throttle and it cuts that in half, but at WOT, they suck fuel !!

They don't have to be all that big by comparison my little 150sho burns 15gph @ wot which is mid 50s in my rig. Dial it back to 30mph and it's 3.5gph. Wot runs are never very efficient.

• Super User
1 hour ago, airshot said:

The Yamaha Vmax might honestly be the worst fuel mileage of any common outboard. My uncle had a 225 that powered his 21 foot deep V walleye tournament skeeter years ago and that thing could haul ass, but man did it suck down fuel.

• Super User
1 hour ago, slonezp said:

25gph? Where did you get that number? Most outboards average 3-5gph at WOT

I searched Yamaha 250 four stroke WOT and that's what popped up. If it's on the internet it's truthfully factual, right?

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 2:10 PM, GreenPig said:

I searched Yamaha 250 four stroke WOT and that's what popped up. If it's on the internet it's truthfully factual, right?

I just looked up that same 250 up 4 stroke and mfgr claims 22-24 gph avg at WOT,  about avg with other brands.  At WOT a four stroke is only 10% more effiecient than a two stroke, but at lower rpm that fuel savings grows up to about 25-30% less consumption based off various mfgr charts