Sign in to follow this  
SneakySnook

Looking for rod.

What would be a good all around baitcasting rod in the $80-$100 range that I can use for crankbaits, senkos, and jigs. Are the Bass Pro Shop rods any good?

What would be a good all around baitcasting rod in the $80-$100 range that I can use for crankbaits, senkos, and jigs. Are the Bass Pro Shop rods any good?

For crankbaits, senkos and jigs with light wire hooks. You can get away with a Med X-Fast. But if you are looking to use the standard heavy hook jig you will need two rods.

The St. Croix Premier is a good choice. If you can go an extra $20 or so, the GL2 would be a great rod, too.

Guest muddy

The St Croix Premier has way too many issues with guide inserts( Particualry the Stripping guide on the spinning and the 3rd one down on all of them) I would get an Avid, they are currently 75 bucks, 15 cheaper than the Premier, If you want to go St.Croix, it is a far bettr rod, and they are selling the old ones out to amke room for the 2008 models . Thats a lot more value for the buck

If you are not set on a St >Croix product I would like to reccomend the Fenwick HMX or an Allstar at this pricing range , I like them way better than the Premier.

Med / Fast 6'6" to 7'

I am going to delete the other posts, this is not a discussion about St Croix rods, and i do not want tio confuse the man>

The St Croix Premier has way too many issues with guide inserts( Particualry the Stripping guide on the spinning and the 3rd one down on all of them)

I've had 3 Premiers since 2001 (well, 2 rods but broke one, sent it out, and got a new one) and I haven't had any such problems. They've all been rock solid rods for me, althoug the Avid IS a much nicer rod.

Both of mine are a few years old now. It could be that they were better in the past and lately they've just been pushing them out the door, which in that case I wouldn't recommend them then, and I'd say GL2 or Avid.

You need two different rods IMO. The crankbait should be a 7' med/mod-fast to allow more bend in the upper 1/2 of the rod for ease of casting and hook setting.

A 6 1/2' med/hvy fast action rod works well for everything else.

Whatever rod you plan to purchase under$100 will be made off shore in Korea or China, so go with brand that gives you good customer service, they are basically all the same blanks within the specific price bracket you are looking at.

WRB

I keep hearing that they are selling the Avid for a cheaper price but I have not seen any. The Dick's around me still have them for the same price. The local tackle retailer also have them for the regular price. Can anyone tell me where I can get one on sale?

I keep hearing that they are selling the Avid for a cheaper price but I have not seen any. The Dick's around me still have them for the same price. The local tackle retailer also have them for the regular price. Can anyone tell me where I can get one on sale?

I would go back to Dick's sometime next week and ask the salesguy to scan it.  When I bought mine it was marked regular price but it rang up $74.97.  I think they were $99.97 then they had all clearence tackle an additional 25%.  The clearence sale ended this Sunday but I'm sure they'll do it again.  

I like the Team All Star IM10 rods which fall into your price range - around $100. However, I've started to lean more torward BPS rods lately. It seems you may be able to get more for your money with a BPS rod than with the All Star.

The Team All Star is light and strong. It's very sensitive. It had a conventional Fuji reel seat (nothing particularly special) and has Fuji aluminum oxide guides (again, pretty much the standard). However, they don't use as many guides as BPS rods at a comparable price.

In contrast, the BPS Pro Qualifier rods are 70 million modulus. They normally run $119 but are currently on sale for $58.99. They have the BPS reel seat which I think is better than the Fuji, and has 2 more guide. The guides on this rod are Fuji Alconite - a higher grade than aluminum oxide.

The All Star is made in the USA, the BPS is made in China. I support American companies when they make the best product, but BPS rods, especially in the price range you are talking about, are really nice. Maybe nicer than comparably priced All Stars.

I believe it would also be easier to deal with BPS about replacing a one of their rods than with manufacturer. I've taken some rods back to BPS with various types of damages and they've always replaced them without any questions.

I wouldn't rule out a BPS rod.  

For crankbaits, senkos and jigs with light wire hooks. You can get away with a Med X-Fast. But if you are looking to use the standard heavy hook jig you will need two rods.

Nothin' to talk about with the St. Croix Avid sale that is going on. Depending on the deal, for $65- $109  you can buy an AC68MXF.

You're done!

8-)

Guest muddy

Hey a good suggestion: If you live close to a BPS or Cableas take a ride and feel the rods for your self: Both have house rods that fit your ticket, Shimano, All Star, Fenwick and I belive there may be a Falcon at that price range: Go see what YOU LIKE.