Sign in to follow this  
cannibass

What type of reel for 5'rod.

I just picked up a loomis sr6010-2 for my backpacking fishing rod and was wondering what type of small reel would fit into it nicely. Would the  pflueger pres 6025 or stradic 1000 fl be good choices?

X2 on what Franklin said. I have an ultralight president on my avid and it casts and fishes wonderfully.  The reel is small and  pretty light (but still solid feeling) , perfect for backpacking.

Vic

I am a huge quantum fan. Most my reels are quantum but I will tell you stay clear of the X-lite Spinning Reel they have. It says it has 6 bearings but I swear there might only be two in it. For $40 it is a rip off. Still quantum makes good reels but unless it is PT then they have a hard time holing up over time.

Ill check how much 2pd line its rated for as soon as I get home for you. Also it depends on what line you use. But really, how far are you going to cast with an ultralight that your going to need more than 100 yards of? :o That is a football field lol

Well I guess if your fishing trout, they can make some mad dashes.  But I bet they will tire out before 60 yards right?

Vic

I just picked up a loomis sr6010-2 for my backpacking fishing rod and was wondering what type of small reel would fit into it nicely. Would the pflueger pres 6025 or stradic 1000 fl be good choices?

Well, normally I suggest the Supreme series, but in this case, I'll suggest the 6720 President. A little better fit on a 5' rod with 2lb line IMO. I have one on a 6' rod for panfishing with 2 and 4 lb line, works good for me, though I do want to move up to the Supreme 8025, just to have all Supremes. :o The 6720 will hold about 130-140 yards of 2lb. The website doesn't say, so that is just a calculated guess. The 8025 Supreme would probably be in the 150-160 range, as would the 6725 President. Really, it's just a brand thing, any good, small framed spinner, will work well.

My lord! Where's the Possee?

This Forum is being overrun with infidels!

Just kidding...

The Stradic is a very nice reel. If properly maintained, a decade

from now it will perform exactly as it does the first day out of the box.

Shimano's motto: Smooth, strong, silent and reliant.

8-)