Sign in to follow this  
vicdotcom

Confidence Rods and Reels?

Well I have been seeing a lot of posts on "what reel should I get" or "what rod/reel do you think is the best for XXX$". Maybe its because the season is about to start up again shortly.

I am not pointing anyone out in particular and I think this is a great place to get information on a product before purchasing.

I guess my question to everyone is, Do you believe that your confidence in a rod or reel impact your ability to catch fish?

In other words, you always hear about going to your "confidence bait". Well is there a confidence reel? Do you think you will catch more fish using a BPS baitcaster than you would if you had your Curado? Would telling someone that they should get a XXX brand reel make them feel like they would enjoy fishing less if they had a YYY brand?

Personally I fish with whatever rod and reel feels good to me. I try not to let brand names enter into the equation, but it sometimes does. I like quality equiptment and after fishing for a while you get to learn what feels like quality and what feels like junk.

Well this started out as a question but ended up a soapbox i think lol Sorry for that just wanted to toss it out there I guess and to remind people that uggestions are great, but don't let it be your only source of information when choosing equiptment.

Vic

I agree with your soapbox.

I just started fishing again last year and tried to use a whole range of equipment based on suggestion and the ocassional sale. But after spending one or two days a week on the water and using a fair amount of different types of equipment I have switched almost completely to revo reels and st. croix rods. Mostly, for the reasons you named. I like them, they fit comfortably, and I got most of them for under retail.

I don't know that it impacts my confidence. Something that does come to mind is that I may fish a particular lure a little longer than I would if I didn't enjoy using the equipment it were on. Example, I like to fish a jig with a diawa L&T rod and a revo STX. Because I enjoy that combo, I'm less inclined to put it down in lieu of another set-up. I think those few extra pitches has led to some success through patience.

The biggest lesson to me has been to bargain shop, but don't buy cheap stuff.

I guess my question to everyone is, Do you believe that your confidence in a rod or reel impact your ability to catch fish?

If confidence in the reel your using is that the drags will hold and the reel cast the lure efficiently. If confidence in the rod your using is that will be able to cast the lure efficiently, and is sensitive enough to feel the strike. If confidence in the line your using that it is strong enough to do the job in fighting that fish home. If confidence in the lure your using it has the action to get the job done as far as attention/strike getting...

Then YES!!!!!  :)

I want the peace of mind in knowing that my reel, rod, line, hooks, & bait are of the highest quality available that's why I buy what I buy.

I have three rigs that everytime I pick them up I am comfortable and poised to set the hook. Those three are just extensions of my body.

I would like to think that confidence in your own skills is more important than confidence in a rod or reel.  But having a good setup will always help make things easier.  That is, if you know what you're doing, a quality rod and reel will improve your chances and decrease your chance of missing that monster you always wanted to catch.

The "top brands" achieved their status by building a reputation for quality and reliability over many years, in some cases, decades. Higher quality equipment makes the "fishing" part much easier and more enjoyable.

8-)

Well, I have fished with most of the spectrum. I have used reels that come in bubble pack on up to $200+ reels. I have used rods that broke easy, and the line guides bent or broke easy on up to $350 rods. My opinion is, the more you fish, the more you should "invest" in fishing. How enjoyable is fishing if something breaks every time you go, or a few times a year you have to replace something??? What about spending a lot of time trying to get reels to work right???

Not everyone can run out and buy $400 combo's on a whim, but, IMO, saving up for 1 $200 combo makes for much more enjoyable fishing than having 4 $50 combo's.

I am a firm believer in the old saying "buy the highest quality rods and reels that you can afford."  Highest quality usually means more $$$ but not always.  Fishing is 90% in between your ears!

Personally I fish with whatever rod and reel feels good to me.

Thats been my problem, so

let me say as a newer fella here thats finally learning somethin, I want confidence in knowing what I'm using and using it for what.

I look back now and admit that I knew Jack nothen on Rods and reels as I thought I did since being on the BR.

If ya wanna be serious on catching some fish then I believe ya gotta have some confidence in what your using :) its not a money thing, its a "Do I know what got thing"

Just a thought.