Sign in to follow this  
IL_Bassman

7.0:1 burner reel

Im just curious to see everyones opinions on the burner reels over the 6.3:1 reels. What do you use them for? Is there more advantages to them to certain types of fishing? Any info will be helpful beings that i am thinking about buying one.

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

When the 7.1:1 "Burner Reels" came out I called the 3 manufacturers that I service, that made them. I asked what was the super high speed reels best used for. The pat answer I got is "quicker times getting the empty lure back to the boat". I asked about ripping buzz baits, lipless cranks etc. The pat answer I got was we refuse to dictate what the angler uses the reel/s for but this is the design reason, (Feedback from the pros especially the Quantum pros) we need to be able to get the empty lure back to the boat faster, to be able to cover more water in tournament situations.

Just my .02¢

Tight Lines!!!!!  

I've always thought that getting the lure back quicker was about the only thing they are good for.  I have a tought enough time fishing a lot of baits slow enough with the 6.3:1.  For me I just have to think about slowing down way to much with the burner reels.  I know others will disagree, but I hate them.

I have two of them, Energy PT's, and I like them for the very reason that RM gave. If you want a dedicated jig/plastics rig, a "burner" might be a good choice. If what you want is a more all-around setup, you just might want something slower.

Cheers,

GK

i have 2 zillons .... they are bolth the burners ..... i use one on my frog rod and one on a flippin stick .... some may see no need for a fast reel ,, thats fine .... your better off buyin a reel that complements the way you fish ...  ;)

I pitch to fairly long stretches of shoreline cane, overhangs, and matted grass/weeds etc. Using the trolling motor, being able to get my lure back as soon as possible in order to pitch to the next likely spot is a good thing. A 7:1 comes in handy. My burner is the Shimano MG7 and the HEG is a good thing too. 8-)

Would it be helpful for fishing in places with alot of cover so you can reel the fish in faster before it can get down in the cover? I have a lake i fish alot that has alot of vegitation in it so i was thinking maybe a burner reel would be good for this. Maybe im thinking wrong though?

Would it be helpful for fishing in places with alot of cover so you can reel the fish in faster before it can get down in the cover? I have a lake i fish alot that has alot of vegitation in it so i was thinking maybe a burner reel would be good for this. Maybe im thinking wrong though?

You're thinking right ;)

I've always thought that getting the lure back quicker was about the only thing they are good for. I have a tought enough time fishing a lot of baits slow enough with the 6.3:1. For me I just have to think about slowing down way to much with the burner reels. I know others will disagree, but I hate them.
Its easy if u use plastics or jigs u use ur ROD to move ur bait not the reel thats only used to take up slack line 8-)

Seems to me that there isn't a lot of practical difference between a 7.1:1 reel and a 6.4:1 reel.  For instance the REVO in 7.1:1 retrieves 31" of line and the 6.4:1 27.5".  Not a lot of difference.  

Seems to me that there isn't a lot of practical difference between a 7.1:1 reel and a 6.4:1 reel. For instance the REVO in 7.1:1 retrieves 31" of line and the 6.4:1 27.5". Not a lot of difference.

How dare you inject logic into this!!?!?!  ;)

What was I thinking?   ;)

Totally agree when you are talking just worms and jigs, but for me(and i'll stress only me)not a good thing when I want to use the same rod for a swim jig, swimbait or spinnerbait.  Luckily, i'm not good enough to worry about whether I can get 10, 50 or 100 more cast with a super fast reel.  As I stated I have enough trouble fishing the 6.3 slow enough with moving baits most of the time.  Plus, I think the logic was injected when reelmech said he contacted the manf. and they said its for getting the empty lure in faster. :);).  

Seems to me that there isn't a lot of practical difference between a 7.1:1 reel and a 6.4:1 reel. For instance the REVO in 7.1:1 retrieves 31" of line and the 6.4:1 27.5". Not a lot of difference.

Yea but. Mulitply that by 30 turns.

6.4:1 = 825"

7.1:1= 930"

Only 8 3/4 feet faster.

I would just ad that by increasing the reels gear ratio, it looses torque (cranking power). That's why everybody recomands a lower gear ratio reel for deep CBs .

I generaly move my lure (and fish) with the rod and reel up the line. I didn't feel the need for a "burner" yet.

ghoti, mike bat,

I agree 100% they basically were the produced back then, for flipping and t-rigs. Setting the hook and turning the head NOW is what it's all about......

I have seen anglers working spinnerbaits and buzzbaits using burners, if you don't watch yourself, and really slow it down to a 5.1 gr then the baits action isn't going to be accurate, more flip flopping, rotating, rolling, and not generaly not tracking right. I have handed them one of my 5.1:1 rigs with buzz and spinner baits and they notice immediately that the bait is easier to move and tracks the way it's supposed to.

Again JMH.02¢

Tight Lines!!!!  

I use Tour Editions in the 7.1:1 for almost everything, except cranks they are kinda hard to slow down.  But one area where I have recently tried is deeper water drop shotting.  8-10 pound line, 1/4oz weight, a a light rod.  It never fails that when you hook a deep bass on a drop shot they instantly rocket to the surface, at least mine do, and the burner gear helps me take up more line faster. But then again drop shotting with a baitcaster isnt my favorite thing in the world, but sometimes I will.  

Yea but. Mulitply that by 30 turns.

6.4:1 = 825"

7.1:1= 930"

Only 8 3/4 feet faster.

Good point, I didn't think it out that far.