Sign in to follow this  
shootermcbob

proper storage of your fishing rods???

I have tried the search function and came up with nothing. How do you guys store your rods and reels....over the winter and also from week to week during the summer?? is it ok to hang just the rod with a little hook going thru the tip??? thanks for your help.

No. NEVER use guides for anything but what they are intended for: managing line.

If possible, store your equiment indoors so it won't get stolen or be subject to any weather related issues.

Reel your line all the way in and release all drag and brakes.

Some say to remove reels, but I don't.

Store rods in an upright position or if horizontal, minimize flex.

8-)

I keep mine sitting next to me while I'm watching tv.

No. NEVER use guides for anything but what they are intended for: managing line.

If possible, store your equiment indoors so it won't get stolen or be subject to any weather related issues.

Reel your line all the way in and release all drag and brakes.

Some say to remove reels, but I don't.

Store rods in an upright position or if horizontal, minimize flex.

8-)

I do the same thing but keep my rods in rod socks and my reels in neoprene covers

I have tried the search function and came up with nothing. How do you guys store your rods and reels....over the winter and also from week to week during the summer?? is it ok to hang just the rod with a little hook going thru the tip??? thanks for your help.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I keep all my rods in a vertical rod rack in the house.

Wow I have never seen so many EXPERTS with the same wrong answer.... ;)

Yes you can store your rod/s vertically from the tips, I have been doing it for years.

A simple coated cup hook screwed into the ceiling/rafter will hang a rod with out reel attached with no problem to the rod or the tip top. To many anglers use vertical racks with reels mounted and get worse results than hanging them. You don't store rods with reels mounted period....

Tight Lines!!!  

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I keep all my rods in a vertical rod rack in the house.

x2. Cabela's has a rack that goes on the wall, and I have one. It's awesome! Very cheap too, I think it was like 20 bucks.

Yes you can store your rod/s vertically from the tips, I have been doing it for years.

A simple coated cup hook screwed into the ceiling/rafter will hang a rod with out reel attached with no problem to the rod or the tip top. To many anglers use vertical racks with reels mounted and get worse results than hanging them. You don't store rods with reels mounted period....

Tight Lines!!!

David,

YOU are revered as OUR expert. I for one appreciate

being "corrected". The things some of us do or think

get ingrained over time.

Thank you!

-Kent a.k.a. roadwarrior

8-)

Wow I have never seen so many EXPERTS with the same wrong answer....

I hope you get fewer PM's than I did when I mentioned "experts."   ;D

Tight

Lines!!!

I stand corrected.

Tight Lines!!!

I was wondering what happens if rods are placed in vertical rod racks a/ reels mounted?

What if the reels are not mounted?

By hanging the by the rod tip will that cause the rod to bend?

Thanks reel mech

I store them in the house, in my office.

Standing up in a rod holder with the reels on the ones I am using at this time. Otherwise, the reels are removed.

As Road Warrior says, release the pressure on the reels when you store them.

And be sure to secure the hooks as they can get tangled in the carpet and you have to remove them before your wife finds out.  Wives just don't understand that it is OK to get all three trebel hooks of a crankbait caught in your new Berber carpet. ;)

Hey guys,

To set the record straight, I do what Roadwarrior says to do and have never had any problems.

I also do whatever Reel Mechanic says because he knows better than all of us.

However, in this instance, I cannot do what the Reel Mech says as I do not have the room so I have to do what Roadwarrior says to do.

Make sense?

Didn't mean to be so abrupt sometimes get's away from me. But we have had this conversation a lot here.  ;)

Redsyn,

I was wondering what happens if rods are placed in vertical rod racks a/ reels mounted?

What if the reels are not mounted?

By hanging the by the rod tip will that cause the rod to bend?

You can without the reel mounted hang your rods buy the tip top on a coated cup hook. It will not hurt the tip top or the shock ring. You will notice I stated WITHOUT REEL MOUNTED. The rods are only about 4.5 - 6.0 oz average, so the weight isn't a factor.

Now storing a rod in a vertical rack with the reel mounted. If you hold your rod and reel up verticaly on the butt you can feel the weight of the reel trying to slightly bend the rod at the seat area, with the rod in a rack the same will happen and the rod will try to set a slight bend. I have even seen rods that were left in a tube system boat rod box, that had more twist and bends and they were all (10 of them) GLX's..

Hey guys,

To set the record straight, I do what Roadwarrior says to do and have never had any problems.

I also do whatever Reel Mechanic says because he knows better than all of us.

However, in this instance, I cannot do what the Reel Mech says as I do not have the room so I have to do what Roadwarrior says to do.

Make sense?

Yea having enough ceiling height to do accommodate rod length is a must. I have my rods hanging in the basement rafters and from the main shop ceiling (12')

Tight Lines All!!!

Right or Wrong, I store my fishing rods with reels attached. I have a storage bldg with shelves made with 2x4s hanging from the ceiling by chains. I can walk under these shelves. I made brackets using plumbing hangers for the handle of the rods and different size open hangers (~cup hangers) for the rods. The rod/reels are up out of the way with very easy access. This works fine for me.

Dr T

Right or Wrong, I store my fishing rods with reels attached. I have a storage bldg with shelves made with 2x4s hanging from the ceiling by chains. I can walk under these shelves. I made brackets using plumbing hangers for the handle of the rods and different size open hangers (~cup hangers) for the rods. The rod/reels are up out of the way with very easy access. This works fine for me.

Dr T

Nice intro. WELCOME.

I sleep with mine ;D ;D ;D ;D

J/K!!!

I'll take the reels of and stand the rods up verticaly in my closet. I wrap the reels in paper towles and stick them in my dresser. When I'm transporting them I'll stick the rods in a 10" PVC pipe. You can find it at Lowes or Home Depot for around $20.

;)

Thanks to all who answered. I did hang them by the tip on a small metal hanging hook(it is plastic coated). The reels are off the rods.

I thought I read that is was ok, but then I got worried that I would somehow be damaging the last guide. Thanks again.