Sign in to follow this  
Floridabassking352

Changing Treble Hooks

Do you guys have any suggestions to make changing treble hooks easier? I swear, it took me 30 MINUTES, just to get the d#mn split ring open so I could slide the treble hook on. I accomplished it by eventually taking a thumb tack and pushing it into the split ring to open it.

What do you guys do?

You could either buy some split ring pliers or do it the old fashioned way with your fingernail.....once you do it with your fingernail about 20 times in a row,it does get easier.Practice,practice,practice.

If you are gonna use your fingers, make sure you have plenty of bandaids and methylade? on hand,,, I learned the hard way, snap ring pliers are the only way to go..

ummmmmm yes, doctor, I was trying to replace my hooks when I ran this rusty one thru my finger...   :'( ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well, this will make chaning treble hooks about 100% easier:

Using wirecutters, cut the old split ring off with the hook attached. Put the new hook on a new split ring, keeping it open with the hook. Attach the split ring to the lure and move the hook into place, closing the ring. Simple and easy.

Split ring pliers are one of the best tools ever made for fishing.

Allen

I've used my fingernails for years and never even thought to buy some split ring pliers.  I just became so used to doing it that I don't even think about it anymore.  Split ring pliers would be nice, though.

RW stated:

Using wirecutters, cut the old split ring off with the hook attached. Put the new hook on a new split ring, keeping it open with the hook. Attach the split ring to the lure and move the hook into place, closing the ring.

RW, did you grow up in a wealthy family?  You just don't seem very frugal when it comes to fishing.   ;)

Actually this sounds like a good idea, especially if you're replacing old, dull hooks.  Why take a chance on an old split ring breaking.  Replace them too.  

I use my fingernails, and it is the most efficient way to go.  I agree with the 'practice makes perfect'- I own a pair of split ring pliers, but soon realized it was a lot quicker to use my fingernail.  Once you get it down, you won't ever injure your finger, and you can pretty much do it blindfolded.  FYI...I really endorse the Daiichi 4x trebles.  Not only are they super sticky, but hold their point longer than any hooks I have found.  They are around $5 for 8 or 9 trebles (about average), but Daiichi sells them in 100pks (the only manufacturer to do so I might add) for $23.99.  This is hands down the way to go, and it allows you to change your hooks often without worrying about cost.