Sign in to follow this  
.dsaavedra.

Avid vs. Carrot

this might be too much to ask, but...

how would you rate a carrot stix against an avid, assuming all of the properties of the rod are the same (length, action, power...)?

I have both in spinning versions my avid is 6'6" Medium power, fast action and my carrot stix is 6'7" medium power, fast action.  the carrot stix is definitely lighter but i honestly prefer the avid.  I can't quite put my finger on exactly why but i just do.  I know this isn't very scientific but i hope it helps a little.  If you are interested in the carrot stix i might be interested in selling it.

Don't have a Carrot Stix, but I loves me some Avid.

I own three: AS66MLF, AC66MF and AC70MM.

I also own the ES70MM which is my soft plastics

rod and a EC70MHF for swimbaits and other

"heavy" lures.

St. Croix is a name you can "take to the bank".

8-)

Don't have a Carrot Stix, but I loves me some Avid.

I own three: AS66MLF, AC66MF and AC70MM.

I also own the ES70MM which is my soft plastics

rod and a EC70MHF for swimbaits and other

"heavy" lures.

St. Croix is a name you can "take to the bank".

8-)

yeah i have 2 avids and i love them also!

i was just wondering how the carrot stix stack up to the avid...in case i decide i need a new rod :).

IMPO they don't stack up.... ::)

Neither rod is built to the same spec's no matter what is printed on them. St.Croix doesn't use the same materials or processes that E21 does and vise versa.....

:)

of course they stack up! any two rods are comparable, no matter what they are. all of the factors dont have to be t he same in order to compare a rod.

I don't have an Avid but I LOVE my carrot stick.  I have a Legend tournament series that is the same just 3" longer, and I wouldn't trade my carrot stick for two of them.  

IMPO they don't stack up.... ::)

Neither rod is built to the same spec's no matter what is printed on them. St.Croix doesn't use the same materials or processes that E21 does and vise versa.....

:)

of course they stack up! any two rods are comparable, no matter what they are. all of the factors dont have to be t he same in order to compare a rod.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how would you rate a carrot stix against an avid, assuming all of the properties of the rod are the same (length, action, power...)?
All of the properties are not the same no matter what the rod spec decal states. E21 rods do not use IPC or ART technology so the blank backbones and tip actions are not the same, and St.Croix doesn't use nano bio-fibers so they will not have the exact same backbones and tip actions. Even in the same rod brands no 2 rods are identical.
But you are assuming all of the properties of the rod are the same (length, action, power...in your first statement....

You asked and I replied. You know what they say about assumption, take a deep breath... :)

I think its pretty clear that two rods, especially from two different manufacturers, won't be the same. I think what he's getting at is if two rods that have the "same" length, power and action, which one would suit his needs better? We all know that they'll be different...If they were the exact same, buy the one with the cheaper price, simple as that. :)

If we go by your reasoning, we should not compare any rods as they're all different and will not yield the same results. Of course, the different results are the reason to compare the rods to each other. If we do not compare rods to each other, how do we know which one we prefer? :)

Well that's strange...I can't edit my post. Anyway...as for Carrot or Avid, I've never fished a Carrot, but I love my Avid. I love it so much I may be getting another one soon. ;D

Sorry for the replies, I yield to all of you..... 8-)

Sorry for the replies, I yield to all of you..... 8-)

Isn't it great that they have all that age and experience acquired knowledge?

The wrong person gave an apology.

Agree 100% not many are more knowledgeable than Reelmech when it come to rods and reels.

I have a few Avids and a Carrot Stick. I love my Avids and I bought the Carrot Stick just to give it a try. I like it because I like light gear but who knows what will happen in the long run. If I didn't have the luxury of buying the Carrot Stick just to give it a try there is no question I would go with an Avid. The blanks are made with different formulas of materials and they use different guides. Different manufacturers have varying opinions of med or Med hvy which makes comparing difficult and inexact (for example a St Croix MH is similar to a Loomis Hvy) and so it goes. To me the Avid = tried and true and the Carrot Stick = Jury is still out. I'm sure I'll catch fish with both but I think they are very different. If you have the money and like light gear the Carrot is worth a try but if you want to be sure I'd stick with an Avid. JMHO

I just bought a carrot 7'3" MH casting rod.  I used it this morning for the first time on Lake Lanier and really really liked it.  I only caught a couple of keepers, but was very impressed.  

But I do have to admit that I've heard so many things great things about St. Croix lately that I'm thinking about trying one of their legend tournament series rods.  

I used a legend last yr? 2 yrs ago?  It was a fantastic rod, I was impressed with the feel, wasn't much of a looker though. (no biggee)

I used a few different carrots last yr and this winter in Cali and although I liked the avid, it didn't leave any where near the impression the c-stick did....but again,....we come to "looks".  Although I enjoyed the performance of the rod more than the avid (more memorable anyway) the c-stick is FAR uglier.

What is the price difference?

cool. it seems like the carrots are lighter and more sensative?

well, i dont see myself replacing my avids w/ carrots any time soon, but i might try a carrot if i get some cash.

lbh, carrots are 150 and avids are 170