Sign in to follow this  
4Bassing

Spinning reel line

I am looking at getting into some dropshotting fishing with my spinning tackle and was wondering what brand of line is the best? I plan on using 8lb. or maybe 6lb. The lake I fish the most is a smaller lake and gets tons of pressure, I have got try something different. I have tried a variety of lines and just can't one that I like for the spinning reel. Several lines just shoot right of the reel with slight pull (you guys know what I am talking about ;)). Thanks in advance for the advice

try izor line, it is soft and very strong. the xxx coplomer is the one.

the new 100 % flourcarbon from trilene is good in 4 lb anything heavier is a problem. izor is also cheap.

try tackle warehouse.com if your local shop doesnt have it.

tight lines

4bassing,

May I add my two cents?

I love to drop shot both in deep and shallow water.  

I use 6 pound flourocarbon line.  Just regular line, not the extra tough option.

As you know, the secret is to make sure the hook sticks out straight from the line and that the bait jiggles.

I also use 6 pound flouro for split shotting so please consider giving the split shotting rig a try.  Lots of fun and for some reason the fish hit the small, slim, jiggling worm on a split shot rig.

Try to find the split shots that are 100% round and that do not have the tips for removing the shot.  By doing this you will avoid a lot of slop sticking to the slip shot.

Both drop shotting and slip shotting with 6 pound line is a lot of fun.

Opps!  Almost forgot to mention your drag setting for both drop shotting and slip shotting.

Be sure to have the drag set so that you can set the hook but also allow the larger fish to run.

Check the drag during the day as you fish.

And yes, you will catch those dinks but also the larger bass so be ready to allow them to run a little to tire them out.

Sorry for the oversight but it is 6 AM and I just got up to walk the grand dog and I am not fully awake.  ;)

I start the season with 4#, switch to 6# in june. Tilene Xl in clr/blue/flour is my line of choice. 7' ML rod, old Mitchell 300a, (brought out of retirement, like the large spool dia.)Owner dropshot hooks, and el-cheapo bass casting sinkers.

BPS has Yo-Zuri Hybrid on sale, 600 yards for $4.88. #4 is 8.5 lb test and perferct for what you have in mind. If your water is gin clear, get the green, otherwise I recommend smoke. These colors in this pound test line are virtually invisible.

8-)

If your cover lets you get away with it then 6# fluorocarbon for sure.  As one who experimented with the 3 major line types, I have noticed considerably more strikes with fc line. However not all fc lines are equal in terms of limpness and therefore some whill be a better choice than others.  Stiffer fc lines do not fare well on spinning gear.  Limp lines such as Seguar's invizx are superb for dropshotting and this is what I use. I would like to try RW's exhalted Yozuri Ultrasoft, but I prefer to buy things locally and will have to wait until local shops carry it.

Thanks for the info. Looks I am going to give Yozuri a try

Just make sure you get the one called "Ultra Soft".  The regular type (the one without those words) is rather stiff. I use it on one of my casting reels and I can tell that your spinning reel isn't going to like it. Look for Ultra Soft. ;)

Thanks for the info. Looks I am going to give Yozuri a try

Just make sure you get the one called "Ultra Soft". The regular type (the one without those words) is rather stiff. I use it on one of my casting reels and I can tell that your spinning reel isn't going to like it. Look for Ultra Soft. ;)

#4 or #6  original formula Hybrid will be fine on spinning tackle, but treating any line with KVD Line & Lure Conditioner will make it more manageable.