Sign in to follow this  
BassinAssassin171

Burned out on Baitcasters....

I can't take it anymore! I've tried different lines, different lure weights, lubricant products, and more. I cannot go an entire fishing tirp without backlash. If I set the break high enough to prevent it, the accuracy and range of the cast are shot. Maybe I just have a crappy combo??? UGH i'm soo frustrated... your thoughts appreciated

Do you set your cast control knob also (not just your brakes)? You have to set that for every different lure you use. Try using 50lb braid. That can help you a little in the begining.

The "trick" is to learn when to apply thumb pressure and how much to apply. When you cast your lure, you will notice that the lure is flying through the sky and your thumb can feel the spool going fast. Now right before your lure starts slowing down in the air, you apply the tumb pressure onto the spool to slow that spool down.

The backcasts I get usually occur when the spool is going faster than the line is being pulled out. So if you watch the lure and the spool, you will see that once the lure slows down the spool continues to go at the same speed for a while. Thats where you get the backlash.

The tighter your cast control knob, the slower the spool will let out line. That is why its important to set that one correctly.

But remember even pros get backlashes once and a while.

Vic

I just read your post again and I might have gotten the intent of your post incorret. After re-reading the original it seems that you know HOW to cast a baitcaster and do so on your fishing trips. But you are getting frustrated that you get at least one backlash during your trip.

If this is the case, then what I recommend is that you slow down before every cast and try to concentrate on your cast and spool control. And do so before and during EVERY cast. Keep that in mind and I bet that you will go without a backlash. They seem to happen most when your not really paying attention.

Now if you are getting a backlash on the majority or good part of your casts, then see the above post.

Vic

I've been casting baitcasters for years and my old ones broke I just have one now.  I get too many backlashes for my taste and I can't get the accuracy or distance I want from this reel so I always use spinners.  I get so annoyed when I turn on the TV and see guys castin away; whippin it out there, pitchin and flippin, etc.... I can't do that!

Also, dont try too cast across the lake. It seems the only times i ever backlash now is when i try to launch one as far as i can, but that doesnt happen much anymore. Good luck

Just remember this, they are not backlashes, they are "Professional Overruns". ;D We all get them from time to time.

When I first started I would get that way and pick up a spinning reel.  It takes practice, the only time a really get a backlash is when i go from pitching and flipping to a cast... I don't know what it is but i flip and pitch everywhere.  Slow down everyone gets some professional overrun, I like it when my boaters at tourneys get one, because when they do it its bad... plus i can hit most of the good spots that way

I backlash them every trip and have for 30 years. Dosen't matter though. Just pull them out and keep on fishing. If it's too bad throw it in the rod box and grab another. What's the deal? Just part of the game.

Do you set your cast control knob also (not just your brakes)? You have to set that for every different lure you use.

Here is what i do and i rarely get backlashes: I never touch the brakes...I can never get an understandable description on how to do it and what exactly the brakes are doing so i just trust the default it comes out of the box with :) ......The cast control knob i use with every lure change, I reel the lure about 2 inches from the top of my rod and i adjust it until the lure can glide down to gently land on the water\ground...Thats it ;) i can cast accurately and throw it a mile and i really dont have to worry about thumbimg it too much at all unless i mistakenly set it too loose, but you can still sense that and know to use your thumb......Good luck, hope it works out for you because i believe you can be much more accurate with a baitcaster as long as its set good

Also, dont try too cast across the lake. It seems the only times i ever backlash now is when i try to launch one as far as i can, but that doesnt happen much anymore. Good luck

a big X2 when I try to overthrow it is a problem

using braid helps quite a bit and I found out the quality of the combo makes a substantial difference

to re-peat what others said what reel and rod are you fishing with?

I'm not sure what difference this would make for you, but when I go out, I'll take it easy for about the first 15-20 minutes.  Whether it's braid or mono, I'll give the line a chance to get wet, and that gives me a chance to get "warmed up".  Normally don't have much problem if I follow that one rule for myself.

When I rush it and want distance on the first couple of casts, that's when the swearing REALLY begins! ;)

I've been casting baitcasters for years and my old ones broke I just have one now.
How many...?

I have been baitcasting for 30 years now and still get overruns if I don't pay attention to what I am doing...

Maybe the combo balance isn't right. The rod has lure and line ratings maybe you aren't in balance with that.

Maybe you should do a little reading....

Basic Baitcast Reel Setup 101 and a lot more practicing....

I get so annoyed when I turn on the TV and see guys castin away; whippin it out there, pitchin and flippin, etc.... I can't do that!
One last maybe...

Maybe you should try being your own kind of angler and not the one's you see on TV...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

I do not know anyone that does not get at least one backlash. The key is to master how to undo a backlash. Then you do not have to worry about getting a backlash  ;)

Try an overhead punch pull cast with the brakes at half, and the spool tension just under maximum. Most casual fishermen cant flip, or pitch so dont feel bad.

I think your expectations are too high... we all get more backlashes than we remember or tell people about.  The TV pros have the benefit of editing their backlashes out of the show.  If you're catching fish why does it matter if you're using a baitcaster or spinning reel?  Use what you're comfortable with for the techniques you're comfortable with.  I use baitcasting gear for hard plastic baits and spinner baits; pretty much for everything else I have a spinning rod in my hand and as I like to fish soft plastic baits, I'm fishing spinning equipment most of the day.  Happy hooking.

I spend more time with a spinning setup in my hand than a baitcaster. Fishing from a kayak, they're just easier to deal with. If I have a major line problem I can just swap spools instead of sitting there in the middle of the lake trying to pick out a backlash.

Use whichever reel you're more comfortable with.