Sign in to follow this  
Certified Public Angler

LH vs RH...why?

Maybe this is a stupid question but, why do baitcasters for RH ppl have the fisherman cast with his RH, then switch hands to reel in?  I can't figure this out.  It seems like a predominantly RH person would have an easier time working baits with their RH.

Is there any reason that a righty that is used to using spinning reels can't buy a lefty BC?

Just wondering...tnx

I would have to look it up again but the person who invented the bait casting reel was left handed, he would cast with his left hand and reel with his right. So in reality most reels are left handed but you can purchase right handed reels in some models.

All of my baitcasters are right handed.

I cast right handed; stop the spool with thumb; put rod in left hand; reel in slack; position rod; and I am ready to go, all in two to three seconds or less.

When throwing topwaters and buzzbaitss, I will stop the spool and begin reeling before the bait hits the water.

It is personal preference which hand you want to crank the handle.  :)

I am right handed and I use a left handed bait caster.  Cast with the right and retrieve with the left.  Rod never switches hands.  The same with my spinning reel.

Just does not feel comfortable switching hands.

Later, :)

I cast right handed; stop the spool with thumb; put rod in left hand; reel in slack; position rod; and I am ready to go, all in two to three seconds or less.

When throwing topwaters and buzzbaitss, I will stop the spool and begin reeling before the bait hits the water.

It is personal preference which hand you want to crank the handle.  :)

I do the same thing sam does....been doing that for years.That's just what comes natural to me.

I fish spinning righty retrieve and the oppisite with baitcasting. I believe when the BC's first were invented they only came one way. I tried thee LH retrieves but I actually like the feel RH and I just switch up during the retrieve like Sam

Im a righty and reeling with my right just feels more comfortable to me.  I switch all my spinning reels to the right hand retrieve even before i started baitcasting

Baitcaster: Cast with my right hand and switch it over to my left hand and reel in with my right hand. I feel more comfortable with a right handed baitcaster but its different with spinning.

Spinning: I cast with my right hand and reel in with my left hand. I seem more lazier when using a spinning setup.

I can cast with either hand, but I always wind up with the rod in my left hand, reeling with my right. Baitcaster or spinning, it doesn't matter.

I can cast and retrieve with either, but prefer to keep my rod in my right hand, and crank with my left.   I think it stems from fighting bigger fish growing up and living in the Pacific Northwest, where 20 -30 lb. salmon were not uncommon, then you have 6-15 lb. steelhead that can really fight.  I always wanted my stronger arm holding the rod and fighting the fish.  Plus I did not have to switch hands after casting.  It probably boils down to personal preference, for most people.

Maybe this is a stupid question but, why do baitcasters for RH ppl have the fisherman cast with his RH, then switch hands to reel in? I can't figure this out. It seems like a predominantly RH person would have an easier time working baits with their RH.

Is there any reason that a righty that is used to using spinning reels can't buy a lefty BC?

Just wondering...tnx

I want to say when I got into baitcasting that I had the same question. However, that premise is false. A RH reel or a LH reel is labeled as such because the cranking handle is on that side of the reel. Therefore it is NOT labeled as such based on the hand dominance of the angler. A RH reel is NOT necessarily for a right-handed person. It simply means that the crank is on the right side of the reel and vice vesa.

Trust me. I know what you're thinking. The first casting reel I acquired was a RH one because I thought it was for right-handed people. That was a big oops for me. :-[

I have since learned to fish with both and I am glad that I have although my preferences as a right-hnaded person are LH reels.

There are a myriad of threads and posts of this here that you might find helpful if you use the search feature here.

As to your qusetion, there wasn't much of a choice since LH reels weren't too common so people learned with what was available. That shouldn't be the case today. If you strongly prefer LH reels as I do, there use them. You will probably be more comfortable using a casting reel whose handle is on the same side as your spinning reels.

It also leads me to think that the inventor of the casting reel was left handed.  ;D

I crank with my right hand with baitcasters, left hand with spinning reels. Why? I guess because I was taught that way. Why was i taught that way? I have no clue. But its what I always have done. For me changing now would be like trying to throw a baseball with my left hand.

There is actually good reason for the way fishing equipment is designed and it's not just "old school":

(Note George Welcome's explanation)

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1187794805

8-)

It is personal preference which hand you want to crank the handle. :)

Exactly the same thing I do.  That is the way I was taught as a kid, and I still do it.

That is interesting RW. Thanks.

Does it always have to come down to, which ever you are comfortable with...because I DONT KNOW  :-?   ;D

Thanks everyone for your answers.

Do you have some buddies that will let you try both??  That would be a big help for you in deciding.

My right arm is stronger, and can set the hook faster and harder.  That's the reason why my rod is in my right hand and all my reels lefties

Does it always have to come down to, which ever you are comfortable with...because I DONT KNOW :-? ;D

Do you have some buddies that will let you try both?? That would be a big help for you in deciding.

Well, I borrowed my uncle's 1990's shimano bantam mag. I have been casting it in the backyard and I'm starting to get the hang of it. I've never actually seen someone use a LH reel. As I am practicing it is becoming natural to just swap hands.

Oh and I was gonna wait a month or so to buy a BC to save some money, but then I remembered that I kept all my old college books. I've already lined up to sell 4 of them for 185$ and might get 235$. I've already been picking out my favorite BCs. :)

If I end up with $235 I think I'll get a shimano citica E and clarus rod.  I just really respect shimano's products.

I've tried this before and here is why I cast with my RIGHT hand, swap the rod to my LEFT hand and turn the reel crank with my RIGHT hand. When I make a cast, after the lure lands, I palm the reel with my LEFT hand and I like to hold the line between my LEFT hand thumb and index finger. I like to feel what's happening on the end of the line.  If I cast with my RIGHT hand and reel with my LEFT hand then I would not be able to comfortably grasp the line between my fingers without holding the rod with my LEFT hand and moving my RIGHT hand forward to  grasp the line between my RIGHT thumb and index finger.  Does this make sense??

I am Left handed in everything writing throwing eating , I do it all left handed but, i honestly feel so much more comfortable using a RH set up. Seems like a lot less work and just more comfortable.

Welcome aboard!

8-)

Does it always have to come down to, which ever you are comfortable with...because I DONT KNOW :-? ;D

I think if you havnt fished with a Baitcaster before and are used to casting a spinning rod with right hand and cranking with left hand then that is the way to go with the baitcaster = wont be much of a learning curve,  just learning how to cast it....Thats how i moved to baitcasters and i am very comfortable.  Lets face it ,  guys may be used to switching hands with the rod and reel now from doing it for so long but there is no good reason to have to waste the time and energy cast after cast, especially if you are power fishing.  Good Luck