Sign in to follow this  
bwcaw

St. Croix rod problems

Anyone else have problems with St. Croix rod guides? The plastic on the eyes of my rod keep popping off.

Several have griped about their Premier's having this problem.  Mine have not had this problem.....yet.

I'd say call up st croix and see what they can do for you.  If it's a problem with the rod they'll fix it for you free, it'll just cost you shipping 1 way ($10).  

That is why I got rid of all my St.Croix Premiers and will never buy one again. There are guys here who swear this problem doen't exist, well there is another guy with this same issue.

I will stick with my Fenwicks and Cabela Fish Eagle II's they are 20 bucks less and much better. 8-)

I f you want to stay with St.Croix, and not go to the Avids then get a Triumph, despite what the purists say, it is on the same blank, but it is made overseas. 70 bucks and no issues with the guides that I have experienced ( I got rid of the 2 I had, as gifts) and they were better built than those Premiers.

Why would there be a problem with Premiers? Don't they use Fuji Aluminum Oxide guides? Why wouldn't this problem exist with many brands, then?

BTW, not trying to be a smart ***, just asking. I've heard this before about Premiers and wonder what's different about their guides.

Why would there be a problem with Premiers? Don't they use Fuji Aluminum Oxide guides? Why wouldn't this problem exist with many brands, then?

BTW, not trying to be a smart ***, just asking. I've heard this before about Premiers and wonder what's different about their guides.

You are not being a smart *** at all, I wonder the same thing. I have gone through several , on the spinning rods it happened on the stripper guide and on the tip guide. On the BC rods , even one i got from Senko 77, the threw the tip guide.

Usually stuff like this is user fault, and if it was my fault i would admit it, but it isn't DID NOT HAPPEN WITH MY OTHER RODS OR THE TRIUMPHS! :-[ :-/

I tried it one too many times, I do not know why the same guides ( Brand) are on my Cabelas Rods with no issues.

As I understand it, the Premier has Batson guides, not Fuji.  But so does the Triumph.  I don't know why they choose Batson.  

I had this problem a lot with Berkley Lightning rods and know the frustration.  Hope I don't start having this problem with my Premier's but the truth is I'm not using them much anymore.

Anyone else have problems with St. Croix rod guides? The plastic on the eyes of my rod keep popping off.

there is no plastic on any of the guides st. croix uses...

I believe he is relatively new and is mistaken what ever oxide or ceramic insert they use. Might as well be plastic on those Premiers :-/

As I understand it, the Premier has Batson guides, not Fuji. But so does the Triumph. I don't know why they choose Batson.

I had this problem a lot with Berkley Lightning rods and know the frustration. Hope I don't start having this problem with my Premier's but the truth is I'm not using them much anymore.

Thanks Jeff, I don't know one guide from the next, I don't get into things that deep. I buy what works, and I do not care about warranties, the rods i use never break so thats not an issue. I am trying to keep it Low Budget and Functional.

Dominick

Muddster,

Neither do I to be honest.  I have tried to learn a little bit about rod components this past year and David G has helped me there a lot.  

I have read posts on other sites where people absolutely shredded the credibility of those Batson guides and I've seen them praised too.  All I know is I see people having problems with them occasionally and I'm just hiding behind the "not yet" tree with mine.  Give me my choice and it will always be Alconites.  

I believe, not sure but Alconites on the Cabelas rods

As I understand it, the Premier has Batson guides, not Fuji. But so does the Triumph. I don't know why they choose Batson.

I looked at St. Croix's website.  The Avid uses Fuji Guides.  The Premier uses Baston.  All it says about the Triumph is that it uses Aluminum Oxide guides, but doesn't say what brand.  I bet they're Fujis.  That's why the problem is just with the Premier.  

Premier guides are not bad. You just have to be really gentle because they are really delicate.

That's funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i havent fished a premiere in 3 years or so ..... however i never lost a eye incert or had any trouble for that matter ... in fact the 3 premieres i had i sold to different friends ,,, they all still fish these rods ,, without any trouble ...

imho there are only 2 brands of guides that are good.fuji and recoil.

i havent fished a premiere in 3 years or so ..... however i never lost a eye incert or had any trouble for that matter ... in fact the 3 premieres i had i sold to different friends ,,, they all still fish these rods ,, without any trouble ...

Thats because your from Wisconsin

what does that have to do with the quality of a rod or its preformance ... im not sure what your issue is with st croix ,,, but the fact of the matter is ,, st croix is one of the best rods made ... st croix has a great warrenty ,, they do take good care of there customers ... so again not sure what your problem is ??? but im pritty sure we all know where you stand on st croix ,, you have olny made 6 comments on this post alone ... we get it muddy ,, you dont like st croix .... that doest make these rods suck ... again one of the best domestic rods on the market ...

if you are having a issue with the rod eyes on a premiere ,, id suggest giving st croix a call .. they will take care of you .... or use the trade in trade up program and move up to the avid ... they offer many different options ...  ;D

Actually Mike

A : IWas was messing with you because of a post you put up about the Triumps not beibng made in Wisconsin >

B; I am not the only angler with this problem with the Premiers, I have seen at least a dozen threads dealing with this issue in the last 2 years If they are going to charge the bucks they do, and put the Made in USA label on, then at least do it right and use some decent gudes.

C: I tend not to follow the maasses and swim upstream against the current often. I am not one to hold my tounge about what many ohtwers seem as popular if I see something wrong with a product, especially one costing a 100 bucks.

D: You can't fish with a warranty. I have never once , after many years of use had to take a Fenwick back. I broke one because I left it in a shaed that was demolished, I do not think that was their fault, I would rather have a rod that I didnt have to use a warranty for I did my own warranty deal, I gave them all away and went back to Fenwicks and Cabelas rods.

E; Let's see what the thread topic is ST.CROIX ROD PROBLEMS

and I made 6 comments on topic about the issue, next problem please ;D