Sign in to follow this  
jwo1124

Crankin' with Graphite

I know this topic has been hit on more than the drunkest girl at the party, but I need some solid advice on what type of rod to buy for crankbaits and jerkbaits. I own a couple store brand glass spinning rods that I use for my crabkbaits and jerkbaits, and to be honest they work great. They are sensitive enough that I can feel my lure hit the bottom or an object under water, they transmit vibration decently for a glass rod, the mod/slow action is great for chucking lures, and keeping hooked fish from throwing the hook or tearing the hook out like stiffer/fast action rods can do.

But I have heard anglers preach that graphite is much better in every arena, and skip the glass and just use a lighter action graphite for crankbaits.

I'm looking for a good spinning rod I can trust to throw my crankbaits, jerkbaits and topwaters on without worrying about the rod being too stiff and tearing the lure away from the fish. I would stick to the rod now, the pnly problem I have is that the rod doesn;t list lure weight ranges, so i just have to approximate which lure ranges are fishable based on other similar rated rods.

Thanks.

I 've fished cranks with pure graphite rods the better part of my life, Medium power to be exact.

There is no need to avoid graphite for cranks.  The right actions, most likely medium/medium fast will work just fine.  I have been told, and likely will be told again here,  that there are glass rods out there that are as light as graphite, but I haven't seen them yet.  I also see no need for a really slow action for cranks.

Most of my cranking is with baitcasters and graphite rods, but I do some cranking with two of my spinning rods, both 7 ' medium power, fast action, braided line, and have no trouble with the lure tearing out of the fish's mouth.  And, the rods are very light and work well for lots of plastics work as well.

I think the "problem" of the lure tearing out of the fish's mouth is highly exaggerated.

It's my opinion that glass is only desirable when fishing the biggest deep divers.  For all other applications, I like graphite much better.

I would say the same people that have issues with hooks tearing out are the same ones whose hooksets look like they are swinging at a baseball and who horse their fish relentlessly.  I personally have a pretty hard hookset in general, but I tone it down with a smooth, sideways sweep when fishing cranks.  Also, learning how to use drag/play a fish goes a long way.  If you got the fish out of cover, let it tire itself out.  Your rod is also there for leverage so let it load up when those fish are making them hard runs.  There is no need to try to immediately put it in the boat, anyway.  I have lost a couple really good fish because I got too excited and tried to pull them right to me.  By the way, I use a graphite rod for all of my cranking and the only time I ever feel like I need something else is when chucking those deep divers.  They will wear you out quick if you do not have the right tackle.

For regular cranks and lipless cranks, along with topwaters too, I like pure glass or a graphite/glass mix.

Now on jerkbaits like the X - Rap, Husky Jerk, or Lucky Craft Pointer, I think a medium graphite is better, you get better twitching action on your lure.

My best experience was with the Browning Silaflex with glass. I have to say after doing the whole thing a good med/fast 6'6" graphite rod ( for me a Cabelas Fish Eagle II I got on sale for 30 bucks) does the job just as weel, and a lot lighter and easier to cast

Haven't fished cranks as much as a lot of folks until this year. Maybe Big Tom is right about the hookset and horseing :-/. I use a graphite rod and copoly line and have never had a fish tear out...

As Ever,

skillet

I use a 7' medium graphite rod for my crankbaits. I tried alot of different fiberglass rods, and I just didn't like the feel.

Falcon

I like a stout glass rod for deep cranking, but otherwise, graphite is just fine. My "all-around" treble hook rod is a St. Croix Avid AC66MF with a soft tip. I recommend taking a look at the the AS66MF for a spinning rod equivalent.

8-)

i picked up my first fiberglass crankin' rod (lamiglas XCF705R) this last spring. prior to that, i cranked with graphite rods. at first, i hated it...i thought for sure i was going to turn around sell it. however, by my third trip out with it, i became a convert. my hit-to-hookup ratio improved dramatically and, once hooked, i have not lost a single fish (something that happened too much for my liking with graphite rods). i have since ordered two more glass crankbait rods.