Sign in to follow this  
BlakeMolone

Is this a good jig setup?

I have a 6 foot medium action ugly stick spinning rod with a shakespere spining reel(with 6lb line) with a 5:2:1 gear ratio and was wondering is this is a good beginer setup for jig sishing(the kind that you put a trailer on).

The short answer is no. First, you'll probably want heavier line. I use braided line when jig fishing, but I personally wouldn't go lower than 14lb if using mono.

I prefer a MH rod, but depending on the size of the fish you are targeting, you can probably sneak by.

I also prefer a baitcasting reel, but there is nothing wrong with using a spinning reel for jigging applications.

My short answer is no.

Long answer is H   E    double-hockey-sticks no.

Jig fishing for bass is usually done on a 6'6 -7'6 M  ---  H rod with a fast action.    12lb test is the lightest I would fish the smallest jigs and throw all of mine on 15lb flouro or 30+lb braid.  A 5:2:1 gear ratio will really crank a fish out of cover, but a high speed reel has been the more popular choice lately.

The nature of jig fishing requires a hard hook set and is usually done in or near heavy cover.  Your rod and line will not give you the best chance of hooking up and landing a fish.

Additionally, jigs and soft plastics require a rod with a fast and firm tip.

8-)

Ok thanks! What would this setup be good for(I could make the line heavier by using braid)?

Small cranks maybe.

Too short, line is too small, rod has the wrong action (better suited for crankbaits), get a Heavy or Medium Heavy power.

Additionally, jigs and soft plastics require a rod with a fast and firm tip.

8-)

And longer than 6'.... I learned all of the above just a few short weeks ago. I'm now fishing a 6'6" MH casting rod for jigs and plastics and let me tell you.... My hookup ratio has greatly improved and I can lift those fish out of the mess that they like to live in now. I couldnt do that before with that medium spinner with a softer tip.

I prefer one type of rod for all bass fishing. I wasn't catching anything too big this summer so I used 10lb but stepped up to 12lb after losing what would have been my biggest largemouth of the summer. Can somone explain what a jigging setup would be and what are the reason that this setup performs better than alternate setups?

A jig rod should have a fast tip, a good backbone, and be very sensitive to detect bites

I use a MH Cabelas XMLTi Worm and Jig Rod  :)

i really like the st croix avid 7ft med hev fast action .... this rod is great for jigs .... it has great feel ,, great power ( remember a croix med-hev is like a heavy from most other rod co.. ) and a nice crisp fast action .... all great points for a jig rod to have ... i run braid on mine and mainly fish 1/2-3/4 oz jigs ...

not a bad beginner set up if:

you use light jigs (finesse)

fish structure and not heavy cover

loosen up the drag

use it for a while with lighter jigs and when you build up confidence with the jig, buy yourself a nice 6'6"-7' med-heavy worm/jig rod and reel. post your budget and im sure you will get plenty of suggestions as to what gear would be the best value.