Sign in to follow this  
Lostime

Tie your best knot?

I have discovered I tend to tie the San Diego better than any other knot especially when Im in a hurry. I only use Sufix Elite and Trilene Big Game (0.10 - 0.15" diameter) Mono. Any reason not to use it for most terminal connections?

I have always felt how well the knot is tied is more important than which one.

I have discovered I tend to tie the San Diego better than any other knot especially when Im in a hurry. I only use Sufix Elite and Trilene Big Game (0.10 - 0.15" diameter) Mono. Any reason not to use it for most terminal connections?

I have always felt how well the knot is tied is more important than which one.

You need to read about knots. The Palomar has almost 100% test strength and is very fast and easy to tie. The Double Palomar is the best for braid. These are the only knots you need for terminal tackle.

I use a modified SDJ for everything.  It is not as good as the palomar for fluro but works fine as long as the knot is spit sloppy to keep it from burning.  I use it because I can tie it in 10-12 seconds and be back in the water.

I used to tie the improved cinch for everything and I struggled breaking my line at the knot WAY too often.

I then learned the palomar and the arbor knot.  I have not had a line break or had a knot fail once since switching to these two.

I tie the arbor knot for all mono and FC or co-polymer applications.

I tie the palomar for braid.  With a mono backing I tie a uni to uni.

With 100% success so far I cannot recommend it more.  :)

The arbor knot is a very low strength knot, but if it workd for you, then it works.

For bass fishing I use a few different knots depending upon application and my mood.

Uni

uni-uni

palomar

albright

modified albright

worlds fair knot

mono loop knot

The arbor knot is a very low strength knot, but if it workd for you, then it works.

Interesting...I guess if I have any problems I could always start using the palomar for my mono rods. I just find taking the loop back over the bait to be annoying and sometimes tedious depending on the size of the lure.

Or maybe I should go ahead and make the switch that way if I ever hook up with a hog like you got in your avy then I won't beat my head against a wall.   ;D You may never get a re-do with one of those bad boys, great fish.  :)

I use the palomar knot for everything except top water lures.  For top water I use the improved clinch knot.

Later, :)

100% of the time i use the palomar,the other knot i use is the uni-uni for braid/flouro/mono,leaders.when its mono/flouro i use a small spro power swivel with palomar knots. i used to snell almost all my hooks,but it really did not seem to make that much of a differance between the palomar and snelling,knot strengh wise.

Palomar knot here too. The only knot that I know of that has a higher knot strength is the Jansik Special. Take a little longer for me to tie this one so I use the Palomar about 99% of the time.

keep in mind...

If your drag is set properly and your line is in decent shape, even a fairly weak knot (statistically speaking) will hold up fine. On the other end of the spectrum, if your Palomar knot (or other high % knot) is nicked up, it will still break.

check em' often, retie at the first sign of wear, or after a snag or "big" fish.

I tried breaking the SDJ with 15 lb Big Game but I pulled the eye out of the dipsey sinker I had in the vice at around 20 lb.

With 6lb Sufix Elite I was able to break it where it passed through the small diameter wire at around 10 lb.

I used the Dipsey because the wire is thinner than most hooks or eyes.

I know how to tie the Palomar. I just have a tendency to get it a bit sloppy if I tie it in a hurry.

PS I thought the SDJ was supposed to be a fairly strong knot. I thought that was the reason for using it for Tuna?

A club member showed me the SDJ the other day.  It was the first time I had ever seen it.  I have started using it for mono.  I still tie a palomar knot for braid.

The uni knot is my best knot, i can tie in 10 seconds....blind folded!!!

Next would bet the improved clench knot, and then the Palomar knot, which is the only knot I tie in braid