Sign in to follow this  
BassinWill301

Lost Drag Power?

I recently took apart the right side of my revo sx to oil it and clean it.  After I put it back together it seems that i have lost alot of my drag power.  I have to tighten the drag all the way down, and anything less then that, it is too loose.  I have no idea what is going on, and any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like you may have gotten some oil on the drag washers when you relubed it. I'm not an expert so I'm not real sure of how you can fix this but I'd take it back apart and clean off each drag washer thoroughly and put it back together DRY (other than making sure the gears and bearings are greased and oiled that is).

I have an old Quantum reel I recently took apart to lube up and I discovered that it had grease on the drag washers that I didn't know about before. That explained why the drag was so loose in it when I used it last so I cleaned it up as best I could and reassembled it. It feels a lot better but I haven't fished with it since.

Check the two washers on the gear shaft. Lots of people put them back on the shaft incorrectly. If you oiled the drag that could be the problem. Use the correct drag grease not oil.

Check the two washers on the gear shaft. Lots of people put them back on the shaft incorrectly. If you oiled the drag that could be the problem. Use the correct drag grease not oil.

You talking about the two washers that look bent??  They go back together opposing each other so when you tighten the drag it creates a tension like a spring.  Right??  

Correct, like this: ()

Alright I have the washers on right, do you think just wiping the shaft and the washers off with a towel will help or not?  I do not have any grease so is it okay if I do not put grease on it?

Since you don't have anymore grease I'd try to be careful when cleaning it so you don't wipe off any grease from the main gear teeth, but remove all the drag washers from it and towel them off GOOD. Make sure you don't have any debris on the washers as you reassemble it, you don't want anything foreign in the works of the drag. Lint from a towel, or anything else. Keep the washers in order and put them back in the same order. I'm such a fanatic that I try to make sure the same sides of each washer are contacting each other as I put it back together again. That doesn't matter much but I just like knowing it's like the factory made it.

It would be better if you had some grease you could just break it down and start over again.   Clean it, relube it, make sure the washers are clean and dry, and not have any debris on anything as you reassemble it.  Trying to keep that gear greased and also keeping it clean while you dry off the drag washers might be hard to do.  You'll have to lay it down somewhere and it has grease all over it so it's gonna pick up dirt and lint and other stuff.  See if you can remove the drag washers only if you can.  Make sure the place where the drag washers go into the main gear is clean and dry also.  Only grease on the gear teeth, no where else on it.  

Take a look at these series of photos depicting a Revo Inshore rebuild.  The drag is the same.  Make sure yours is assembled in the same order, and that you have any oil or excessive grease wiped off the drag discs and washers...

http://pierandsurf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48363

Micro I just found that on google and it reassured me that I put them in order correctly :). What brand of grease do you guys recommend?

And thanks for all of your help.

I love this site.  Someone has a problem and there's an outpouring of help from everyone trying to come to the rescue.  What a great place.

Micro I just found that on google and it reassured me that I put them in order correctly :). What brand of grease do you guys recommend?

And thanks for all of your help.

Well I might get horse whipped for this but I use Zebco gear grease and oil. It's available at my tackle shops here locally and also at Wal-Mart. I know there's a dozen kinds out there and the only one I've ever heard anything bad about is the Quantum Hot Sauce. It might be good in it's own right though. The main thing is NOT to mix them. Different greases and oils can have additives that break down the lubricating properties in them when they're mixed. That's not good.

I just make sure my gears and bearings are clean and dry using a mild soap to clean them and then drying them off on a clean soft cloth. I even use a toothpick to clean out the teeth on the gears to make sure all the old grease and dirt is removed from the small places on it.

I then apply a modest amount of grease to the gears and just one drop of oil on each bearing and my reels are buttery smooth as a result. Took me a long time to get to where I believed that was enough lube but I found out it's just fine and too much can have bad results.

I use Abu Oil and Grease.  You can find this anywhere.  I've seen it in Walmart.

If you reassembled the reel properly, then I agree with the previous poster that you probably got oil or too much grease on the drag.   I'd disassemble it and clean the disks with a dry cloth.  

What I have found to be effective is to lightly grease the drag stack bed that is on the main gear, then lightly grease each metal washer in the stack then the underside of the top cupped washer.  I don't put grease on the actual fiber discs.  

When I say lightly grease, I mean putting some grease on your finger and thumb and massaging it onto those parts I mentioned so that they are very lightly coated.  This will make for a very smooth drag while still being able to generate a lot of drag pressure.  

I have found that too much grease on the drag stack makes the disks "hydroplane" on each other.  Very smooth, but very little usable drag pressure.

When you put the grease on the gears make sure you get it all the way down into the gear lash. Lots of people just put it on the outside of the gears and think it will work its way into the lashing. You must get the grease into the bottom of the gear cut or they will make noise.

Never open your reel without the schematic in front of you. The problem like many have stated was the drag spring washers were in the wrong orientation, probably like this ((..

They should be like this () as you have seen.

But then you would have had that info with the schematic in front of you.

Also like fishfordollars stated you need to get the gear grease down in the cuts of the gear all the way to the base of the cut, the best way to achieve this is with a short hard bristle brush (like an trimmed acid brush) forcing the grease down in....

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!  

What do you mean by the cuts of the gear?

What do you mean by the cuts of the gear?

All gears are cut from a solid piece of materal. the gear cutting tool begins with small cuts around the outside of the gear and continues around the outer edge eventually cutting into the core until the correct depth is obtained. That is the cutting(Clearance between the ring and pinion gear teeth is known as the gear lash). The correct clearances are determined by the depths. This is set with washer thickness that are placed either behind the ring gear(Larger gear) or on the pinion gear shaft(Smaller gear) to move it either closer to or farther away from the ring gear..

What is this even supposed to mean?  And trust me I know how to set the hook budrow.

What is this even supposed to mean? And trust me I know how to set the hook budrow.

It means he's a sarcastic sucka.